Bilstein 5100 - Ring position vs ride & handling quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deanno33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the Bilstein 5100s installed on my 2020 Laramie (non-ORP) a couple weeks back. I had them set on #4 and honestly the truck is pretty level at that height (looks awesome actually). However I'm not a fan of the ride as it feels too bouncy / lack of solid steering control to me....especially when I add weight to the back of the truck.

I'm considering biting the bullet and having the the 5100s set at either #2 or #3 to bring the front back down a little. My question....what do you think the ride difference would be when adjusting the 5100s down? Broader example may be, how would the 5100 feel on #7 vs #2 on the same truck? I'm thinking some level of steering control and less bounce would be noticed?

I hate the thought of spending the money again to have then uninstalled and reinstalled....not to mention, another alignment.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe air up tires a bit more. The ride quality won’t change with different settings. Also get a set of air bag helpers that go inside the rear coil. These trucks sag a bit when towing Or weight in bed since no leaf springs.

Eastcoastdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ride quality will absolutely change with the different settings as you are compressing the spring (adding preload) to get the desired ride height. Unfortunately I couldn't say how much of a difference you will notice, I have not experimented with these.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ride quality will absolutely change with the different settings as you are compressing the spring (adding preload) to get the desired ride height. Unfortunately I couldn't say how much of a difference you will notice, I have not experimented with these.
Preload only affects the ride when you are taking the truck off the ground then setting it back on the ground. Once the truck has weight on the suspension and it pushes back and starts compressing the spring than preload does not affect the ride anymore. The springs are linear rate so no matter where they are in compression it’ll be the same spring rate. The only difference is suspension geometry angle playing a role in ride quality.