3rd gen 2500 suspension ride quality questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mola Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok i'm trying to use search feature on here as to not clutter up the board with repetitive questions... sorry in advance if this has been asked before...

my question is i have brand new Bilstein shocks on all corners of my recently purchased 3rd gen 2500 quad cab w 8ft bed... do these normally ride like my triaxle dump truck ? lol... springs are new and so are the shocks , tires (load range E) and rims are also new... just trying to figure out why such a stiff ride... i still have yet to check out the condition of these ball joints in the front axle... i literally JUST got this truck so all i did was verify the work that was claimed to be done by seller and that's it... besides the very obvious fact it's a big ass monster with a super long wb and heavy duty suspension... im wondering if it could be the trans /engine mounts underneath? and maybe the ball joints? im prolly just nitpicking but i'm coming from lifetime of half ton trucks (Toyota Tundra, Silverado) which rode a lot smoother...just wondering if it's normal ride quality for this particular truck.
as far as i know the suspension appears to be stock(non lifted)

thoughts?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You're likely used to a truck with a coil spring suspension, or a lighter leaf spring suspension. The ride quality is definitely different. Pretty normal.

In 2014 Ram went to coil suspensions in the rear on the 2500s and it softened the ride a bit but you definitely still know that it's an HD truck. Bilsteins firm it up a bit too. Hook a load behind it and you'll get a nice smooth ride though. :)

OP
OP
Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i figured as much lol... that's the whole reason i bought it! i have a jeep cherokee on 44/14b axles and beadlocks , sticky's etc that i take crawling with my buddies so i welded something to tow that all my gear and stuff etc

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 3rd gen 2500 rode definitely harder than my 4th gen. Not sure there is much you can do with it that won't defeat the purpose of having that 2500.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, it's the age old problem.... Carrying capacity = stiff ride. I remember when I got my 2500 with the coil rears it felt a lot better than the leafs I was coming out of in my 2500 Chevy but it's still plenty stiff.

When my wife was 8 months pregnant with our twins I always remember the time we were driving out of our neighborhood over some speed bumps and she commented, "Your driving has gone to hell!" :) :) Apparently, she (and the twins) didn't like the stiff ride either.

OP
OP
Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha thank god im past the point of having pregnant wife lol... im a grandpa now so i guess i'd have to worry about making my infant grandson puke lol

OP
OP
Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ride is not like bone, jarring or anything I was just curious because I've never owned one of these before it rides straight as an arrow and it eats up heavy bumps, real easy. It's the small ones you feel and if you have driven on Connecticut roads, you would definitely get a taste of that