Black Smoke (rolling coal)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Aucoin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2007 2500 TRX 4wd,6.7ltr 138k miles, noticed that when driving under light excelleration I have black smoke out of exhaust. Have muffler, but no Cat or ex parti filter, delete kit installed, min hp gain. Engine feels like lost power. And now the coal roll. Only think that has been worked on lately, is AC compressor, and cond coil, accumulate/filter, hoses, belts, pullies, belt, expansion tube, changed, don't think this has anything to do with it. Any one have this issue? No codes. Any suggestions on what to check, or what could have gone bad. It is like running rich. BANKS AIR filter is clean,. What would you suggest I check

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Leaking or sticking injector(s) MAF sensor, it may not hurt to run a good shot of injector cleaner along with a good work out and if that fails it may be shop time to investigate. Did did this happen after a resent fuel purchase a different fuel stop?

OP
OP
J

John Aucoin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, started after Fill up, at a station I have used before, but yes, soon after Fill up. All of those good Ideas, plan to add some sea foam and go blow it out. Thanks

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes, started after Fill up, at a station I have used before, but yes, soon after Fill up. All of those good Ideas, plan to add some sea foam and go blow it out. Thanks
OMG No do not use Sea Foam that stuff is mostly alcohol, Alcohol is not good for you fuel system, use something like Power Service in the silver bottle, Howes meaner cleaner, Opti-lube single diesel fuel system/injector cleaner or one of the many other injector cleaners that does not contain alcohol...

OP
OP
J

John Aucoin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gonna go grab that, hope I did not mess up, already added it, Damn it! thanks!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Gonna go grab that, hope I did not mess up, already added it, Damn it! thanks!
One small dose should not hurt much, just remember to use quality additives for diesel fuel and Seafoam is not one of them, when it doubt ask, the only stupid question is the one not asked..

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Check all of your boost hoses and connections. Sounds like you are loosing turbo boost somewhere.