I think I’m crazy….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Big Horn

This is my first post…and I want to thank everyone who’s posts I have read about the situation I’m in right now.

I’m 36 years old….I’ve lost both my parents and 2 really good friends since June 2020.

Through it all, my truck has taken me everywhere I need to go! (Her name is Black Velvet)

Between work(175miles both ways), play, (? miles), and unforeseen circumstances(same as above) I have racked up 115,000 miles on my baby.

I’ve made sure to “maintain” the maintenance on it. Regular oil changes, coolant flushes, air filters, etc…

But just recently I have had a problem with POWER! Black Velvet seems to be limping lately…

2 weeks ago I was coming from a 80 mile trip from cleaning out my parents house for sell when my truck started acting weird. She was only acting weird while going into an overpass… I thought it was just me being worn out and tired of all the stuff that has been going on.

But the next day(Saturday), I was going to go back down to finish the house and she seemed really tired too (WAKE UP!!) So I decided to stay home and look her over.

Sufficient coolant - Check
Sufficient oil - check
Air filter clean - check
Any sign of wear on any hoses - none

I am not an expert at vehicles (ESPECIALLY nowadays) in no way. But I can do the essentials and can somewhat figure out what is the problem.

The next day (Sunday) I decided to get my truck towed to the dealership after a couple test runs up and down the road.

They picked it up Monday morning and called me that afternoon saying that the cause of the problem was that I was missing a fuse(F60: ECM/PCM/Act Short Running Valve).

…..okay, cool.

I made it 5 miles down the road and “limped” into an O’Rileys parking lot. After spending some time with a mechanic that was there fixing his tail light, he said it was
1: air/fuel mixture
2: throttle body control (same as 1)
3: gas pedal control
We worked on it until 9-930 then I went home…

Once again, I made it 5 miles down the road and “limped” into a Loves truck stop.

Next day the dealership towed her from the truck stop and began getting down to the cause of the matter! They were set on figuring it out (even paid for my rental car thanks to my wife’s annoyance of the situation).

Days the dealership had my truck = 9 days
Phone calls from the dealership =. 3

Question 1: When did I replace my radiator? (I haven’t)
Question 2: Why did you pull the throttle body sensor? That makes us have to reprogram it… (I pulled it to check for 5 volts)
Question 3: Are you sure you didn’t replace your radiator? (……..)

I picked it up today and ran around town to make sure I could make it home. Everything seemed legit. After all was said and done, they reprogrammed the throttle sensor, the pedal sensor, did a coolant flush(ON A BRAND NEW RADIATOR?!? Lol), and couldn’t re create what I had told them (they said they took it on a 35 mile drive)

I got ALMOST to my house and it began….she lost her power. I like to think she was just happy to see me again after all this time and gave everything she had, but it was probably just the uphill before I get to my house.

I say “uphill”….it is probably only a 15’ elevation difference over MAYBE 1/8 mile. (I’m not doing the math for the grade).

So I “limped” home and here I am….my wife thinks I’m crazy, I’m starting to think I may be crazy, but Black Velvet (the truck, not the alcohol) makes me think otherwise.

Am I missing anything here?

Catalytic Converter? (Knocked on it with a mallet, no noise)
Transmission? (I REFUSE to check fluid)
Spark Plugs? (That’s my next step, I think)

Sorry it’s so long, just needed to get it off my chest

Thanks in advance!

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have a code reader, such as an OBD Link? You'll be able to see what trouble codes have popped up.

OP
OP
D

DodgeDrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s why I towed it to the dealership. When I limped to O’Rileys, they couldn’t pull a code. There haven’t been any lights pop up. I figured the dealership should be able to pinpoint the problem.

This may be unrelated, but Ive been receiving emails from Ram Service for the last week about “Powertrain MIL”

Attachments

• A6E1597D-3905-4473-90DA-9A66012B1330.jpeg
    A6E1597D-3905-4473-90DA-9A66012B1330.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 18

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get those Triggered alerts looked at, too many other things I could tell you but you must get a MIL, pull valve covers and check for rocker arm movement, 1or2 with little or no movement, that would be for a misfire.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
If the dealer has been chasing it and is willing to keep doing so, the less you poke at it the better. It's got another few years of power train, so this should not be on you to solve.

They've already found something off about the radiator and trying pull the pull the throttle body sensor caused additional work, so we don't want to be working against them or be giving them reasons to question how much of what's happening is caused by you and not a warranty issue.

That said if you want to, a starting point would be an OBDLink MX and use an app like Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) that will let you see what the engine computer sees and read codes, and let you track 0-60 and power for empirical evidence.

MIL is malfunction indicator lamp , also referred to as CEL check engine light. There was a recall that involves replacing the cluster as it's unable to display the MIL, not sure if it's the same. There were also some recalls regarding the adjustable petal option. May ot apply to your truck, but in any case I'd ask if they've addressed all recalls.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
THIS

I have racked up 115,000 miles on my baby.

You should get a tune up
Air Cleaners & Cab Air Filter can draw leaves in & squirrels may even make nests
Spark Plugs last 100,000 miles but then they begin to break down

You might think about putting a can of something similar to
Berryman B-12 Chemtool Fuel Injector Cleaner into the gas tank every tank or so

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Big Horn

This is my first post…and I want to thank everyone who’s posts I have read about the situation I’m in right now.

I’m 36 years old….I’ve lost both my parents and 2 really good friends since June 2020.

Through it all, my truck has taken me everywhere I need to go! (Her name is Black Velvet)

Between work(175miles both ways), play, (? miles), and unforeseen circumstances(same as above) I have racked up 115,000 miles on my baby.

I’ve made sure to “maintain” the maintenance on it. Regular oil changes, coolant flushes, air filters, etc…

But just recently I have had a problem with POWER! Black Velvet seems to be limping lately…

2 weeks ago I was coming from a 80 mile trip from cleaning out my parents house for sell when my truck started acting weird. She was only acting weird while going into an overpass… I thought it was just me being worn out and tired of all the stuff that has been going on.

But the next day(Saturday), I was going to go back down to finish the house and she seemed really tired too (WAKE UP!!) So I decided to stay home and look her over.

Sufficient coolant - Check
Sufficient oil - check
Air filter clean - check
Any sign of wear on any hoses - none

I am not an expert at vehicles (ESPECIALLY nowadays) in no way. But I can do the essentials and can somewhat figure out what is the problem.

The next day (Sunday) I decided to get my truck towed to the dealership after a couple test runs up and down the road.

They picked it up Monday morning and called me that afternoon saying that the cause of the problem was that I was missing a fuse(F60: ECM/PCM/Act Short Running Valve).

…..okay, cool.

I made it 5 miles down the road and “limped” into an O’Rileys parking lot. After spending some time with a mechanic that was there fixing his tail light, he said it was
1: air/fuel mixture
2: throttle body control (same as 1)
3: gas pedal control
We worked on it until 9-930 then I went home…

Once again, I made it 5 miles down the road and “limped” into a Loves truck stop.

Next day the dealership towed her from the truck stop and began getting down to the cause of the matter! They were set on figuring it out (even paid for my rental car thanks to my wife’s annoyance of the situation).

Days the dealership had my truck = 9 days
Phone calls from the dealership =. 3

Question 1: When did I replace my radiator? (I haven’t)
Question 2: Why did you pull the throttle body sensor? That makes us have to reprogram it… (I pulled it to check for 5 volts)
Question 3: Are you sure you didn’t replace your radiator? (……..)

I picked it up today and ran around town to make sure I could make it home. Everything seemed legit. After all was said and done, they reprogrammed the throttle sensor, the pedal sensor, did a coolant flush(ON A BRAND NEW RADIATOR?!? Lol), and couldn’t re create what I had told them (they said they took it on a 35 mile drive)

I got ALMOST to my house and it began….she lost her power. I like to think she was just happy to see me again after all this time and gave everything she had, but it was probably just the uphill before I get to my house.

I say “uphill”….it is probably only a 15’ elevation difference over MAYBE 1/8 mile. (I’m not doing the math for the grade).

So I “limped” home and here I am….my wife thinks I’m crazy, I’m starting to think I may be crazy, but Black Velvet (the truck, not the alcohol) makes me think otherwise.

Am I missing anything here?

Catalytic Converter? (Knocked on it with a mallet, no noise)
Transmission? (I REFUSE to check fluid)
Spark Plugs? (That’s my next step, I think)

Sorry it’s so long, just needed to get it off my chest

Thanks in advance!
Up grade - Fuel pump?, fuel injectors clogged?

rizzkid12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram1500 4x4 Warlock QuadCab 3.92 5.7l V8
Engine
5.7l V8 Hemi
i think it may be an intermittent fuel pump if its not throwing a code. I have seen this type of issue before in other cars, but this is jut my educated guess from experience working on my trucks and cars for 30 years,