Brake/vacuum line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings all,
Recently I had the pleasure of replacing the oil cooler/filter housing on my Pentastar. While not too bad of a job I replaced the plugs, boots, PCV, thermostat and upper radiator hose along with cleaning the throttle body. I took several pictures of the hose and wire routings along the way. Happily it all turned out successful except the following. When I step on the brake pedal to start the truck it’s rock hard. Now maybe it’s my aging brain but if I recall correctly the brake pedal had some give to it when the truck was turned off prior to starting before I did the repair. The truck starts and the pedal sinks about an inch lower after start and functions normally once started. Brake feel and performance is the same as before the repair. No codes. Is it normal to have a rock hard pedal when the engine is off prior to start or did I connect something wrong?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the Pentastar have a external vacuum pump that's actuated when you turn the key, or the check valve to your brake booster is on the way out, also did you replace the intake plenum gasket?

OP
OP
Atcer2018

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the Pentastar have an external vacuum pump that's actuated when you turn the key, or the check valve to your brake booster is on the way out, also did you replace the intake plenum gasket?
Yes replaced all gaskets including the TB gasket. The 2018 has two check valves. One is an inline which I didn’t physically remove and one has an electrical connection on the intake plenum which I did remove. Not sure about a vacuum pump. Never needed to learn about the Rams brake system before.