Bully dog install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my Bully Dog hemi plus tuner yesterday. Updated the tuner with tech help because updater couldn't see the sd card. Tech said that happens with reader. Hard wired power cord to fuse box but found out fuse tap was too big to fit Mimi fuse back into it's slot. Ended up just using the bare wire. Need a solution for fuse tap making a better, permanent situation. Any help advice would help.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know about a fix for that but you can run the tuner off the port where it plugs in, just make sure to switch the power off or it will drain the battery. Or you could just load the tune and unplug for now. I dont leave the tuner plugged in since the EVIC has all the info I need and I dont want anyone to break into my truck to steal it.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point, I didnt know that could be done. Maybe that's the way to go for me as well. I was also thinking I could power the tuner from the USB port and just keep it in the center console, access it when I want type thing. Thanks for the info, it helped me understand the install alittle better.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem. Wish they would have just offered a plug for the lighter since that powers off with the key. FYI I didnt feel a big difference right away. Most of the mods seem to take a few key cycle or days to fully kick in but its way more fun to drive now. I maxed out the rev limiter at 6000 and moved my shift points up to 5960. Shifts way better now and the motor recovers quicker after shifting. Also shut off MDS and traction control.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info, I was wondering about those settings. I think if they work in yours then it's a good place to start with mine. I take it you haven't had problems with the hydrologic lifters, backfires, or ECU backing down the engine load. Are you running 93 octane with those settings?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problems or codes. Runs great. I use 91 octane. The BD is pretty conservative, seems like the problems arise from custom tunes pushing the limits. The tuner def works better when paired with free flowing muffler and CAI. I also have a sonnax line pressure booster, it helps with quicker/firmer shifts.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not to thread hijack but Im really happy to hear of someone running the sonnax with success with a BD. I have found in reading up on them that they seem to work better when a tuner is involved. Jerseymike, did you just order the sonnax p/n for the 5 speed as it seems that is all they have listed?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the one for the 545RE. It shifts great with the combo. Easy plug and play for 50 bucks!

DippedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you like your bully dog? Thanks to
Moes I just ordered mine today. Can't wait!!!

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, quick question. I just got mine set up and took it for a spin. It felt kinda weird. I disabled MDS and traction control during the setup but the "ECO" light still came on on the EVIC when I was just cruising, is it still supposed to do that? I was under the impression that the ECO light was telling you that it shut off 4 of the cylinders, or am I misunderstanding how that functions? Also, the software that shows that is installed is the 3.1.4.2 A016, is this the most updated version?

BTW I have a 2011 5.7 4x4 only other mod so far is a leveling kit.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, quick question. I just got mine set up and took it for a spin. It felt kinda weird. I disabled MDS and traction control during the setup but the "ECO" light still came on on the EVIC when I was just cruising, is it still supposed to do that? I was under the impression that the ECO light was telling you that it shut off 4 of the cylinders, or am I misunderstanding how that functions? Also, the software that shows that is installed is the 3.1.4.2 A016, is this the most updated version?

BTW I have a 2011 5.7 4x4 only other mod so far is a leveling kit.

The Eco light just tells you that your are driving economically. Comes on a lot since the tuner, exhaust and cai. It took a few days to feel like the tuner made a big difference, also helped when I got the magnaflow muffler and cai. I would say do the muffler next. I got the 14" for a 100 and had it welded in for a 100. Made more of a difference than I thought it would but that is because like you I did the tuner first.

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Eco light just tells you that your are driving economically. Comes on a lot since the tuner, exhaust and cai. It took a few days to feel like the tuner made a big difference, also helped when I got the magnaflow muffler and cai. I would say do the muffler next. I got the 14" for a 100 and had it welded in for a 100. Made more of a difference than I thought it would but that is because like you I did the tuner first.

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply. Would you mind telling me which settings you went with as far as the rev/speed limiters etc. which tune did you use? Thanks man.

Joe

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you like your bully dog? Thanks to
Moes I just ordered mine today. Can't wait!!!

I love it! Hated the way it ran from the factory. Felt like I was pushing the pedal half way down to get it to move. Now I just touch the gas and she goes. Also, when I would pass there was a long delay from when I hit the gas until when It would downshift, like it was thinking what gear to drop to. Now I can get it to shift with the slightest press of the gas pedal. :pepper:

DippedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got mine yesterday and installed this morning. Quick question does hard wire option void the warranty? I just have it running from OBD2 port and flip the switch when I get out from battery to key. Is there an easier option?

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just got mine yesterday and installed this morning. Quick question does hard wire option void the warranty? I just have it running from OBD2 port and flip the switch when I get out from battery to key. Is there an easier option?

Hardwiring wouldnt void the warranty any more than having a tuner. IMO the easiest way is hardwiring it so you dont have to flip the switch every time. I think in the first post in the thread I posted a while back included which fuse to wire to for it to turn on and off with they key.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to thread hijack but Im really happy to hear of someone running the sonnax with success with a BD. I have found in reading up on them that they seem to work better when a tuner is involved. Jerseymike, did you just order the sonnax p/n for the 5 speed as it seems that is all they have listed?

After doing a little research on the 65RFE, I found out that it is the same as the 545RFE. The only difference is software, mechanically the same though. Sonnax line booster installed(44957-LB2). It has made a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88