CAI versus stock air cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1.2 mpg gain with just a Vararam swap,you sure about that.That's really stretching things unless the air filter you replaced was butt ass plugged solid and wasn't letting much air through.
You are correct in this skeptisisium. Most so called CAI should be correctly labeled as Hot Air Intakes.
They cause power losses due to the less dense intake charge.
Few if any so called CAI system do anything but rob you of power
They are a scam.
Sound nice yes but that it the extent of their function.
The same with air filters that claim to flow more air.
Laboratory testing has proven that filters such as K&N flow rates are marginally better but do do at the expense of less filtration which causes more internal wear. And really laboratory testing was unnecessary as this is something that is understandable without being run through a computer.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ Gee and all the REAL WORLD testing at the race track which shows that the Vararam produces better performance is smoke and mirrors?????? I don't think so--maybe additional research on your part is needed.
Jay

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
For anyone interested I have a Vararam used about 3k miles for $250 plus shipping. You can call me at 812 493 6256 . It is a landline. If you are near I 64 from Louisville KY to Kansas City KS I may even be able to meet you next week and give it to you in person.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7, recently added a Diablo Pulsar and Magnaflow cat back system with stock manifolds.
Will a CAI really make much of a difference in performance?
From what i have read on this and other sites -you wont get any returns on a CAI without other mods. You are already getting cold air from the wheel well-but one member ran a 3inch pipe from the grill to the bottom of the air box-i might try that as air would be forced down into the box. Cheap mod I might try next spring! I am sure there are many who will swear by the CAI benefits!

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7, recently added a Diablo Pulsar and Magnaflow cat back system with stock manifolds.
Will a CAI really make much of a difference in performance?
i did a volont and have it so air comes from bumber i got 21.6 mpg on free way on 91 oct runs great fast and in town 11 or 9 on worse foot pounding days ! its tune and nice flow master and did y pipe too dodge still cant get it right !

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i did a volont and have it so air comes from bumber i got 21.6 mpg on free way on 91 oct runs great fast and in town 11 or 9 on worse foot pounding days ! its tune and nice flow master and did y pipe too dodge still cant get it right !
You have the powercore filter in it?

NevrFinished

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1.2 mpg gain with just a Vararam swap,you sure about that.That's really stretching things unless the air filter you replaced was butt ass plugged solid and wasn't letting much air through.

So more driving time.... Ready, lol???

City MPG .... Zero change, no worse no better. A little improvement in throttle response.

HWY MPG.... 4 tenths per mile better, lol. Noticeable passing response improvement.

So mpg gains over all mixed driving .1 mpg better.... annnnnd that could be from wind conditions, tire pressure. So let’s say no loss no improvement for fuel unless it’s a lot of Hwy driving

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bottom line , CAI = a big waste of money, unless buying it for looks and increased noise.....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So more driving time.... Ready, lol???

City MPG .... Zero change, no worse no better. A little improvement in throttle response.

HWY MPG.... 4 tenths per mile better, lol. Noticeable passing response improvement.

So mpg gains over all mixed driving .1 mpg better.... annnnnd that could be from wind conditions, tire pressure. So let’s say no loss no improvement for fuel unless it’s a lot of Hwy driving

This was basically my experience with the Vararam as well. 0 if any mpg increase but slightly better throttle response.

I’m sure at the track it would make a difference tho...

Last edited:

NevrFinished

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FE02C4C0-FD18-4C83-809C-AF3F63B41444.png
Bottom line , CAI = a big waste of money, unless buying it for looks and increased noise.....

The Vararam is helping holding the 8th gear longer, I’m curious to see what it does when towing on the Hwy.

That’s why I got it, and at least for passing power... there’s an improvement.

I just traded a Stinger GT with exhaust, intakes, JB4 w/ fuel wires....

Once you start building, an intake can help. Throw wideband 02 in and start tweaking fuel and ignition and you’d be surprised at what 8-10whp across the curve can do.

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
View attachment 185694

The Vararam is helping holding the 8th gear longer, I’m curious to see what it does when towing on the Hwy.

That’s why I got it, and at least for passing power... there’s an improvement.

I just traded a Stinger GT with exhaust, intakes, JB4 w/ fuel wires....

Once you start building, an intake can help. Throw wideband 02 in and start tweaking fuel and ignition and you’d be surprised at what 8-10whp across the curve can do.
I can see that if you combine a CAI to other mods, such as, headers, exhaust, tune, that it can actually make a slight difference in performance. But, just adding a CAI in a completely stock engine, and expecting noticeable power increase, its just silly.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Generally speaking the 2 individual mod's that will give you the greatest performance increase are a custom tune and/or long tube headers(discounting new gears, a supercharger, a turbo charger or funny gas). Other individual mod's standing alone will give you a slight increase but all working in concert with each other, and I believe you will see a noticeable increase in performance.
Jay

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
K&n Filter.. How good does a K&N drop in really filter. I have had one on my last 3 Rams and was wondering if they filter as good as say a Wix or Purolater filter. I use stock filter in winter with salt used on the roads here and K&N gets dirty rather quick. Any better filters out there?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of people like the K&N. I've never had any long term experience with them.
Jay

NevrFinished

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K&n Filter.. How good does a K&N drop in really filter. I have had one on my last 3 Rams and was wondering if they filter as good as say a Wix or Purolater filter. I use stock filter in winter with salt used on the roads here and K&N gets dirty rather quick. Any better filters out there?

Consider a green filter, too.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what i have read on this and other sites -you wont get any returns on a CAI without other mods. You are already getting cold air from the wheel well-but one member ran a 3inch pipe from the grill to the bottom of the air box-i might try that as air would be forced down into the box. Cheap mod I might try next spring! I am sure there are many who will swear by the CAI benefits!

I have considered the eco d lower air box,some pvc goin from grill area to bottom of eco d box and a smooth bore connect from air box to throttle body..

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
You have the powercore filter in it?
yes big filter tube to frount bumper on ebay got 91mm throtle works great fast pick up but turn 91 oct and progemed so burns rubbler easy love it my self ! 10 to 21.6 mpg lead foot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca