Calibrating speedo for bigger tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Just put some 34s on the Bighorn and the speedo is off by about 3-4mph at highway speed. Not a big deal, but is it worth it to have it calibrated?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
As always, it's what you like. I have stock sized tires (265/70R17's) and mine is off also about 2-3 mph. Says I'm doing 423-43 at speedometer indicated 45mph. Drives me buggy! I just tried to "fix" it. When I worked at a dealer (Albany dodge) their scanner (at the time 2002) could fix my Dakota, so I did. Verified it, as my close friend (a County Mountie) used his radar gun to verify. Just bought my own home scanner (Innova 7111) and it is supposed to be capable. So tried to correct it yesterday but no luck. Tire on truck is a non O.E. brand but as stated OE size. They do have a screen that I am supposed to use, but I could not get it to work. Not the scanner BUT ME! When I did the Dakota, I got the actual rolling dia. of the tire and just enter it-DONE. This scanner (much less expensive than dealer type) has many sizes and brands of tires listed that I can pick from to tell the truck this is what it has. However, it already knows what is on the truck Size wise), so that did not help. So I put a level off the top of the tire, measured to the floor to get the rolling dia. (30.5 inches) x 3.14- pie to get the circumference - 95.77 or approx. 95 3/4 inches. Went to put that in and of course it wanted it in mm! (2432.558 mm) tried to put hat in and it said (you dummy that's the wrong number! So I assume it does not need or want the decimal point or numbers after it. But now the battery on the truck getting low, so cleared all the codes I set somehow (the info on the tire size is put into the Body Control Module. Truck on a trickle charger overnight will try again and just enter the 2432 mm. So all of this just says that some of us are just real goofy about non necessary "stuff". Now I will be on a "mission" to correct it, when it would be so much easier to think - you idiot you're going slower by a mile or three an hour than the speedo says - live with it. BUT I WON"T!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just put some 34s on the Bighorn and the speedo is off by about 3-4mph at highway speed. Not a big deal, but is it worth it to have it calibrated?
Keeps the miles down on the truck,lol.The only time i've ever worried about correcting a speedometer,is if i went to a shorter tire,as it puts more miles on the speedo,then the truck actually has.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
When you have it adjusted and take it into a dealership to have work preformed they will charge you for them to put in back to factory specs for them to road test the car.
So you always have that computer “device” that is used through your OBD port to change it back before you go and change it back when you pick your vehicle up.