Camper shell old guyish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wouldn't have a truck without one.:imo:

Attachments

• DSC01727.jpg
    DSC01727.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 5,043

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its funny the thread says " Old guyish"
My wife is against it she says it makes the truck look like it came with
"The Old Man Package" lol I think when done right they look good. Later with a leveling kit and fat tires it will realy stand out.

lynchburg14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck I just bought has one on it and I am trying to sell it. It looks great and is in great shape but they just aren't the look for me. I feel that they do look old guy ish. I am going to replace it with low pro tonneau cover.

Ccravillion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one on my 2012 and I'm only 24 looks good with leveling kit and meaty tires and they are priceless for just about all hobbies and if you have dogs

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Depends on what the ambient lighting is like. Mineral grey metallic is the hardest color to match. There are days when it doesn't look close and other days that it is spot on. I took it back to the Leer dealer and they offered to send it back to Elkhart to be repainted if I wanted. I just look at it on the good days! :) I've seen several other toppers in the area that depending on the lighting are not always totally matching(Leer, ARE, etc.). I am super happy with it none-the-less and couldn't be without it for the three to four weeks it would take to have it repainted. And....it may still be the same.
If I couldn't take my two Greyhounds to the DP for four weeks, they'd report me to the ASPCA!

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is that color matched?

Depends on what the ambient lighting is like. Mineral grey metallic is the hardest color to match. There are days when it doesn't look close and other days that it is spot on. I took it back to the Leer dealer and they offered to send it back to Elkhart to be repainted if I wanted. I just look at it on the good days! :) I've seen several other toppers in the area that depending on the lighting are not always totally matching(Leer, ARE, etc.). I am super happy with it none-the-less and couldn't be without it for the three to four weeks it would take to have it repainted. And....it may still be the same.
If I couldn't take my two Greyhounds to the DP for four weeks, they'd report me to the ASPCA!

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd really love a blacked out camper shell for my truck. Just don't wanna spend the dough when I'll probably be getting into an suv to Jack up here soon.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly why I have that shell! Single piece of glass looks NICE! Designed to look like it came from the factory with the shell.

That is exacly what I thought with those shells/aluminum window frames, still in the 80?!

I don't think it's an old guy thing but more of what your needs are for the truck. Mine include a camper shell not an open bed or just a cover. Here is my XQ:

That shell looks great sir!

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi low2highrise,

MAybe this is oldguyish, but it is totally awesome too!
The cap is a Jeraco Hi-Rise

picture.php

preachp

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread is ******* me off! I am now feeling like Im starving until I get a cap on my truck. I have had a cap on each of my other two Rams ( wife was against both) I am loving the looks of these trucksyou guys are posting.
Shell ****!! :evillol:

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I like the look of the pickup. It looks too much like an SUV with the cap on IMO.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 srt10 ram, 2003 4.7 4x4 quad cab ram
Engine
Viper 8.3 supercharged, stock 4.7
This is my first truck with a cap and I love it
7F00F363-AA00-42D9-B34E-B028971AFCDC.jpg

My friends and wife do bust my balls for it looking old man

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Shell ****, funny.

I had a dark green color matched shell on my 99 and it looked sharp to me. I do understand the 'old guyish' mantra, because when I was growing up, shells were indeed the aluminum siding style Sanford and Son looking things that old people had on their rusted hulks as they cruised from one trash can to the next looking for discarded treasures... Anyway...

But, obviously times have changed, and I think shells look great on them now. I'll probably be able to justify one in a few years when he's paid off. I'm going naked for now but will cap out later.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother put one on his truck.... not a ram and not a full size truck :-(........... a few years after he bought a tonneau cover. He does like it a lot. His seals right to the bed rails and to the cab. So when he has his dog he opens the back sliding window of the cab to heat and cool the "shell" so the dog is comfortable.

Is there a gap between the "shells" on the Ram and the cab.

If you transport your dog how do you keep the "shell" a comfortable temp for them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 srt10 ram, 2003 4.7 4x4 quad cab ram
Engine
Viper 8.3 supercharged, stock 4.7
My brother put one on his truck.... not a ram and not a full size truck :-(........... a few years after he bought a tonneau cover. He does like it a lot. His seals right to the bed rails and to the cab. So when he has his dog he opens the back sliding window of the cab to heat and cool the "shell" so the dog is comfortable.

Is there a gap between the "shells" on the Ram and the cab.

If you transport your dog how do you keep the "shell" a comfortable temp for them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There is about a 2 inch gap but the back window and the back of the cabs Window lineup, it has side windows that open, and the back itself opens

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I found this site that sells seals.

Cab And Camper Boots

Has anybody used the accordion boot to seal the sliding window openings between their truck and topper?

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I have silly rules in my head of what a truck "is" and "is not"...

A truck has a bed, a topper negates that bed look therefore it is wrong to me.

I always adhere to "different strokes for different folks" so to each their own, but for me it's a no-go.

HookEm Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always loved the look of a camper shell on trucks. I wanted one on my first Ram that I drove in college, but never got one because I often had to load tall items like couches, mattresses and bed frames. I would love to have one now, but my wife, just like all other wives, thinks they're only for "old men." I know I would have loved to had one yesterday when I picked my 3 dogs up from a weeks stay at the kennel.