Catch can question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
First off, what is it? (Take it easy on me guys) what are the benefits and how hard/easy is it to install? Any info is appreciated fellas

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, what is it? (Take it easy on me guys) what are the benefits and how hard/easy is it to install? Any info is appreciated fellas
Basically it's a can between the PCV (Positive Crankcase Vent ) and the throttle body . The throttle body is the throat of your air intake and sits on top of your engine (5.7L)
The can catches oil mist , unburnt gas from piston rings blowby , normal condensation in your oil and oil additives burnoff . It collects these deposits and prevents them from going into the air intake plenum , thus allowing you to dump it out and keep the air intake and fuel chamber clean and retain factory performance.
2ea things should enter the intake chamber :
1) clean filtered air
2)clean filtered gasoline
Not dirty oil , water , carbon grit and sludgy unburnt fuel .

Here's a link to a very good explanation of what happens without an OCC .

Hope this helps !

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1790133

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Basically it's a can between the PCV (Positive Crankcase Vent ) and the throttle body . The throttle body is the throat of your air intake and sits on top of your engine (5.7L)
The can catches oil mist , unburnt gas from piston rings blowby , normal condensation in your oil and oil additives burnoff . It collects these deposits and prevents them from going into the air intake plenum , thus allowing you to dump it out and keep the air intake and fuel chamber clean and retain factory performance.
2ea things should enter the intake chamber :
1) clean filtered air
2)clean filtered gasoline
Not dirty oil , water , carbon grit and sludgy unburnt fuel .

Here's a link to a very good explanation of what happens without an OCC .

Hope this helps !

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1790133

Thanks for the info! My truck currently has 101k on the odometer. Would it be worth it to take the intake and throttle body off to clean them up while I’m under the hood doing the catch can?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info! My truck currently has 101k on the odometer. Would it be worth it to take the intake and throttle body off to clean them up while I’m under the hood doing the catch can?
At a 100k I'd say that's a great idea [emoji1303]

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like RLK may cost me some more money thanks to his great (70+ page) thread on this.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered a catch can on amazon while my wife is rolling her eyes at me for buying more “truck stuff”

Boy do I feel your pain !

Lmao, I WISH all I got was "rolled eyes"!!! I'm becoming good at "stealth modding"

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a very easy mod to do. I did mine on my 2014 with about 100K miles on it. With all of the crap it is collecting, I wish I would have done this much sooner!!

hardEight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a UPR from the Scat Pack I traded in on the Ram... I think I'm going to have to trim the engine cover but, we'll see.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a great idea , if you do take them off to clean post up some pics here of the before & after [emoji106][emoji106]

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What Amazon can is everyone using - I was just going to order the Billet Technologies but I see there are a bunch on Amazon too.