Caution: 2024 Laramie with Intermittent Blind Spot Monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
An intermittent BSM is the worst of all worlds. A safety feature many rely on, but twice in the last few days, my BSM has failed to light up with another vehicle right at my quarter panel. Other times it works properly. No electrical, electronic, or mirror mods to vehicle. Vehicle is clean. Taillight is clean. No accidents.

Maybe a coincidence, but Ram just auto-updated my uconnect to v46 a few days ago. Its suspect because for 2 months BSM has worked reliably until now. Immediately After the update, and perhaps unrelated, my home menus started moving all around, on their own.

No error codes, no evic warnings. Yes, uconnect BSM on, lights and chime. RamCares just notified.

My experience is that Ram Cares generally doesn't, and with 2 prior Rams, our local dealers will do absolutely positively nothing without an error code.

Hoping for no accidents but if I have one, and a failed BSM is the cause, then Stellantis brace yourself!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
A pretty good source states tha BSMs are not technically controlled by uconnect. If true the uconnect update might have been a coincidence.

Either way my brand new 2024 has intermittent BSMs. Very concerning.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would never trust a computer to tell me if somethings in my blind spot.
I always check the mirrors but that is how I've been doing it since I started driving back in 1967, so it is a habit. I think newer drivers may become dependent on this technology and not bother checking the mirrors, scary!

OP
OP
W

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I think it's fair to say that lots of drivers use safety features differently. That's ok. I tend to check the BS mirror and the Bsm, but that's just me. I know lots of drivers who rely just on Bsm.

Stellantis, Gm, Ford and others better install safety systems that are extremely reliable.

You can be sure that the next fatality allegedly caused by a Ram running a car in their blind spot, off the road, will result in a major lawsuit against the driver and Stellantis. So it's very important and very serious.

I just want my Bsm to work as it was designed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I get the safety feature is helpful, but I echo above, I only use my mirrors and between the three I can see 100% of what I can't see out the side and front windows. Before I lane change I always glance over my shoulder, will never trust BSM technology.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Out of all the nannies, I just like adaptive cruise and unfortunately it did not come on my 2020 BH Level 2 NE.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Out of all the nannies, I just like adaptive cruise and unfortunately it did not come on my 2020 BH Level 2 NE.
I love adaptive cruise on the highways, I was getting tired of constantly messing with the cruise control because of traffic and the different speeds of other vehicles. I also enjoy the BSM because, for some reason, drivers around here love to hang alongside your blind spots. Also, cross-traffic alert is a blessing. Trying to back out of a parking spot at Costco is challenging. Impossible to see pedestrians or traffic because everyone is driving an SUV with tinted windows you can't see through. Some of those drivers drive way too fast for the parking lanes.

There is a Michigan attorney (Steve Lehto) who has a YouTube channel that is interesting. His practice specializes in lemon law but his YouTube videos talk about the whole legal spectrum. He recently partnered with a Michigan law-maker and helped draft a Bill to return driver's education back into the public schools. I hope it goes through cause it is badly needed. The way they drive up here makes you want to pick up some old railroad tracks and weld together a barrier around your vehicle.