Ceramic tinted windshield - caution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just had my '19 Rebel front windows and windshield tinted. While the shop installed the ceramic tint on the windshield they got the control module (located under the dash near drivers left leg) wet. The truck would not start, no lights, nothing. They had to replace the control module and recalibrate. The module cost them $365 plus the cost to calibrate. I've included pics of the module. It now looks great but was a royal pain in the rear.

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So when they did the windshield strip the spray ran down the windshield to behind the dash to get that thing?

OP
OP
screamneagle

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
So when they did the windshield strip the spray ran down the windshield to behind the dash to get that thing?
I had the entire windshield ceramic tinted not just the strip at the top. They claimed they put towels on the dash, but evidently water ran down behind the dash and the firewall and onto the control module.

alex_5_7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The same thing happens with the newer durangos. That's why I didnt want to risk tinting my windshield lol oh well.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In what world is tinting your front windshield legal?
Many places it is ok as long as 80% of light can still make it through. A lightly tinted ceramic is a good option because the ceramic does a good job of blocking out heat. I'm in Texas and will be doing my windshield and sunroof before next summer.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in Texas and think having the windshield done sounds great. I'm curious as to how you put your inspection sticker on and off every year since it sticks to the windshield. I figure it will putt the tint off or get scratched up.

SLMinATX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clear film on the windshield is a must in Texas IMO, cuts the heat and UV without restricting visibility. For the registration sticker they either cut out a section for it to install directly on the glass or they can put a small patch of extra film where you can place the sticker. I go to Sunbusters in Austin, have had many vehicles done there and have always been pleased.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What happens if you need a rock chip repaired and have windshield tint ?

SLMinATX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only had small chips that can be repaired with epoxy (or whatever they use) before it cracks and spreads. Tint is on the inside of the window, so no issue unless you need the windshield replaced. Don't know if insurance would replace the film too with the claim. I would ask for that though.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I'm in Texas and think having the windshield done sounds great. I'm curious as to how you put your inspection sticker on and off every year since it sticks to the windshield. I figure it will putt the tint off or get scratched up.
+1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had a Tundra and Lexus windshield done at 50%. Loved it but now live in North Carolina and inspections are little tough so doubt I'll do it to the Ram.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can buy a small patch of clear static cling film. Put it on the inside of the windshield, and then adhere the registration/inspection sticker to that.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only had small chips that can be repaired with epoxy (or whatever they use) before it cracks and spreads. Tint is on the inside of the window, so no issue unless you need the windshield replaced. Don't know if insurance would replace the film too with the claim. I would ask for that though.

I have free glass replacement. I asked and they said they would also cover any tint on the front including full window tint, not just along the top.

I haven't had to replace a windshield in 10 + years. :Knock on wood

The front windshield being tinted is amazing. I am in Arizona and the UV/heat reduction is amazing. I don't have to use a sunshade!

Apollos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have free glass replacement. I asked and they said they would also cover any tint on the front including full window tint, not just along the top.

I haven't had to replace a windshield in 10 + years. :Knock on wood

The front windshield being tinted is amazing. I am in Arizona and the UV/heat reduction is amazing. I don't have to use a sunshade!
What type and % tint did you use for your windshield and other windows in AZ, do you recommend a shop in the Phoenix area?

R

Rogues Gambit

Good to know

Any tristate guys do windshield on their commerical trucks now?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clear film on the windshield is a must in Texas IMO, cuts the heat and UV without restricting visibility. For the registration sticker they either cut out a section for it to install directly on the glass or they can put a small patch of extra film where you can place the sticker. I go to Sunbusters in Austin, have had many vehicles done there and have always been pleased.

Sunbusters is by far the best tint shop in Austin. Did they mention any adverse effect to your electronics if you used the ceramic film? I thought I remembered something about that--or maybe not?????? Their clear wrap is also the best I've found.
Jay