Changing tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appyshoer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I have 2016 ram 3500 tradesman dually diesel. Running 17 inch tires load range e. Who makes a heavier tire? Like load range f?
Tire size is 235 80R 17.
wear out a set of tires on the front in 20000 miles even with rotating.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Why do you want a heavier tire? Do you me higher rated tire? And I would question the need for that as the E rated tires will exceed the FAWR.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I have 2016 ram 3500 tradesman dually diesel. Running 17 inch tires load range e. Who makes a heavier tire? Like load range f?
Tire size is 235 80R 17.
wear out a set of tires on the front in 20000 miles even with rotating.
You need to find the cause of the tire wear. Increased tire load rating will not help. What is wearing out after 20K miles?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Like the others have said, the load rating is definitely not the issue. If you are wearing out tires in 20,000 miles there is something else going on, assuming you are using quality tires. Even on a heavily loaded one ton you should be getting 50,000 miles out of the front tires quite easily.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you're wearing out the only the fronts you have a different problem than tire load rating.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are the tires wearing on the inside, the outside of the tire, or cupping in different spots? That would be alignment, suspension problems. Did you verify you have the correct size tire? My friend years ago hooked himself up with a smaller diameter tire to make the vehicle looked raked, but he wore out the tires very fast. Good luck.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Are the tires wearing on the inside, the outside of the tire, or cupping in different spots? That would be alignment, suspension problems. Did you verify you have the correct size tire? My friend years ago hooked himself up with a smaller diameter tire to make the vehicle looked raked, but he wore out the tires very fast. Good luck.
mememe_5f299ed6a9d83c8d59945b2fff7ac9c6-1.jpg

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Like the others have said, the load rating is definitely not the issue. If you are wearing out tires in 20,000 miles there is something else going on, assuming you are using quality tires. Even on a heavily loaded one ton you should be getting 50,000 miles out of the front tires quite easily.
Agree with this, and the other suggestions of what could be going on. 20k is far too short for front tires on a dually that is in good shape.

I've owned a few, my dad has had duallies since 1986, and my FIL has owned a couple different ones. NONE of them have gone through tires that quickly, with the exception of the time my dad got a set of Michilens on one that happened to have defects (this was probably 20 years ago now). He blew 3 tires on a trip back from out west - the tire company inspected the carcasses (because he saved them - he's like that), and ended up paying for all the repairs AND a new set of tires.

You may have an alignment issue, worn/damaged suspension components, or it could even be your driving style. If you're running loaded and still taking turns hard, you're adding more force to the tires than they should be seeing and wearing them out.

I'd start with an alignment, but remember that not all shops can properly do an alignment on a dually truck. Some of them just don't have an alignment rack big enough to do it. You may have to look around to find one.