Clear coat coming off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice day outside so I decide to wash and wax the truck. Noticed that I have some scratches which is no big deal. But I also saw that my clear coat is chipping off. I'm told the whole truck has to be sanded down and recoated? And beings how I had this truck for only a year would that be covered under my bumper to bumper warranty?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Nice day outside so I decide to wash and wax the truck. Noticed that I have some scratches which is no big deal. But I also saw that my clear coat is chipping off. I'm told the whole truck has to be sanded down and recoated? And beings how I had this truck for only a year would that be covered under my bumper to bumper warranty?

You have a 5 year 100k corrosion protection I beleieve and should Be covered under that. I would say they would have to sand and reshoot the clear for sure if not the whole thing. The great thing about having paint repairs is the fact your entire truck will be covered for the entire life you have it. So starts peeling and cracking again in 7 years still covered! My roof had to be repainted due to solvent pop.

OP
OP
Cloviz

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That corrosion protection, would the also cover my now rusting back bumper?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I am curious, where is the bumper rusting, and did you buy your ram new? Has it ever been in an accident?

OP
OP
Cloviz

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bumper is rusting right at the bottom of the rear. It's newish with 12,*** miles on it and never been in an "official" accident but was a victim of a hit and run but that was no where near wear the clear coat is coming off or the rust spots.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Report back after you talk to the dealership. I would be interested in what they say. When I had a Toyota, they tried to sell me an extra warranty to cover this and wouldn't do anything for me. Course I had a couple more miles than you though. I am not sure on Rams position.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I think the corrosion warranty only covers you if the rust has caused perforation.

ralphdees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 engine
I believe warranty should definitely cover that. Quite soon to have clear coat chipping after only a year. Show them the extent of the corrosion, hopefully they take care of the bumper too.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My 2011 had a rusty bumper, actually my 2014 has some spots on it too. They replaced both bumpers on my 2011, I'm not going to worry about it on my new one though. I'll just buff it out.

I also had rust in the box, so they repainted the whole box of the truck. There were rust spots all over the body too so twice they acid washed and clay barred the truck.

OP
OP
Cloviz

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well they took some pictures today, I'm a little worried since I debaged the truck but we will see what they say. The clear coat is within 1 square inch and I'd give another year for the bumper to have a hole.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had a 2015 Ram 1500 loaner, from the dealership, that had rust in a couple spots on the chrome front bumper. I was surprised and, at the same time, not surprised.