Clunking sound inside the column when turning the steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

50pascals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Ram 2500 with tilt and telescope steering wheel.

This past weekend, a pronounced clunking sound, with a little bit of feedback in the wheel started happening. It will happen in both directions. Primarily when the wheel points to 3 o'clock when turning right. When turning left it will happen at around 6 o'clock.

I assume it's some sort of loose bit related to the u-joint in the column. I'll pull it apart one night this week, but was wondering if any of you have had this.

I've googled and searched forums, but no one seems to have this.

Thanks.

P.S. - I used to have a slight scrape sound I've read about, but I think maybe that's been replaced by the clunky sound.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Id guess one of the column bearings is bad or has something in it.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
on mine i feel something in the steering wheel like a clunk but felt not heard. first i had tracked it down to a track bar. Replaced that, then had it come from the steering stabilizer, replaced that with the king. Now i'm at a loss, but you might have hit it on the head. I feel mine when steering is in a nuetral positon and we hit a bump that is enough to more the wheel a quick back and forth. Never feel it if the steering wheel is loaded.

There is a rubber shock absorber i guess that in the steering column, im wondering it thats worn on yours and mine. check out this video

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I had some grinding when turning. I didn't feel it much but I could definitely hear it.

Turned out to be a software update needed as the feedback in my current version was wrong causing the "grinding". Who woulda thunk?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357