Front end clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
I have a 2022 classic ram 1500 5.7 4wd completely stock. I have 2700 miles on it and have a clunking noise that's getting worse in the passenger front wheel well that I can hear in the cab when hitting bumps or swerving back and forth. https://youtube.com/shorts/41uZVvLKxVg?feature=share In this video I'm swerving back and forth and the sound happens when I turn to the left. I checked the wheel it's tight. I jacked that corner up and grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and shook it and felt no play in ball joints. I grabbed the wheel at 9 and 3 and shook it and felt no play in the steering. I didn't feel any loose bolts through out that side of the suspension.

However i did notice some play with the CV shaft going in and out where it goes into the front differential. No play on the wheel side. On the drivers side i felt no play on either end of the CV shaft.

Has anyone had this noise issue before? Is this in and out play normal for cv joints?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but who knows when they will be able to get it in.

Gene

Mattandrew285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 Valve 5.9 Cummins
I have a 2022 classic ram 1500 5.7 4wd completely stock. I have 2700 miles on it and have a clunking noise that's getting worse in the passenger front wheel well that I can hear in the cab when hitting bumps or swerving back and forth. https://youtube.com/shorts/41uZVvLKxVg?feature=share In this video I'm swerving back and forth and the sound happens when I turn to the left. I checked the wheel it's tight. I jacked that corner up and grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and shook it and felt no play in ball joints. I grabbed the wheel at 9 and 3 and shook it and felt no play in the steering. I didn't feel any loose bolts through out that side of the suspension.

However i did notice some play with the CV shaft going in and out where it goes into the front differential. No play on the wheel side. On the drivers side i felt no play on either end of the CV shaft.

Has anyone had this noise issue before? Is this in and out play normal for cv joints?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but who knows when they will be able to get it in.

Gene
Could be a sway bar link. In/out Play in the CV shaft isn't abnormal, I ran into the same thin while replacing a hub on my dad's truck and thought the same thing. If it's not a sway bar link, I would check the bearings. Try jacking the truck up on that side and spinning the tire, youight hear friction. The fact that it's happening when you swerve makes it seem like a sway bar link to me, or perhaps an early sign of bearing/hub failure.

OP
OP
T

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
So last week I took the truck to the dealer they said they tightened a subframe bolt and could no longer get it to replicate the sound so thought it was fixed. Went to PA this weekend and it started making the sound again. The tech said the bolt they tightened before was still tight so now they are going to replace the front cab mounts under warranty. We'll see if that does it.

I can try checking the bearings when i get the truck back next

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't read through every post so I may have missed it, but why is a truck with 2700 on the clock making this noise, and not at the dealer for warranty work? Out of warranty already? Even drive train coverage?

My 2014 Laramie has 102,000. One of the many things I really love about it is how solid the entire truck is. It's completely free of rattles, clunks, squeaks, etc. It's just solid and quiet.

Good luck getting this resolved. I am sorry to hear you are having
trouble.

EDIT: thebearded1, you and I were typing/posting at the same time, and I didn't read your latest until I submitted mine.