Compass problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
I'm having a problem with the compass ,where it's not giving me the correct direction.
When I am going west it says south and when I turn around on the same road it's saying I am going west when I'm headed east.
Anyone else ever experienced this type of issue before, I have the 8.4 radio on a 2014 Ram 1500. I also have been having intermittent problems with the radio not coming on until I start down the road, this leaves me with no back up camera until later on. Any suggestions,?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember back when I had my 2013 the book that came with the truck it explained how to reset the compass in the vehicle. If you have the book give it a look.

OP
OP
BigHossRides

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
Thanks I looked at the book and it says if the CAL is on the EVIC then you can drive in circles until that goes away. I don't have that so the dealer says it automatically calibrates itself. I'm thinking it has something to do with the 8.4 radio along it's other problems.

OP
OP
BigHossRides

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
Hey man, it sounds like you might have an imported truck from Australia.
You might be right that's probably why it wants to drive on the other side of the road. I noticed the radio also calling me a ****** Idiot if I don't know which way I'm going

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well the good thing is that you seem to know where you're going. Just ignore the dash...

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the 8.4 radio with the nav, it is in the radio..

Rebel70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Rebel quad cab. I had this problem and a service person told me about the driving in circles thing. I thought " are you serious"? He acted serious though. Seems like there were some other things like getting out and leaving the door open or some damn thing. They wanted to keep it for 4 days or something to fix it. I just kinda gave up but it seems in the course of driving it seems to have fixed itself. It was like that for probably a year. Maybe radio did an update. I am not driving it much these days but it seems to me and my wife that it is correctly oriented part of the time but not all. I'm now financing the truck following a 42 mo lease. It's only got about 24K on it.

OP
OP
BigHossRides

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
Did you ever figure this out ?
Nope not yet. But had weird problem the other day. Truck wouldn't start, so I jumped it off and checked the battery and the test showed 14.1 v but only 3.4 amps. Never had the amps run down on a batter before. Replaced battery and compus started working correctly most of the time compared to before when it was never correct. The battery still doesn't always come on when I start the truck. It will come on while driving after a couple of blocks.

kman07032010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope not yet. But had weird problem the other day. Truck wouldn't start, so I jumped it off and checked the battery and the test showed 14.1 v but only 3.4 amps. Never had the amps run down on a batter before. Replaced battery and compus started working correctly most of the time compared to before when it was never correct. The battery still doesn't always come on when I start the truck. It will come on while driving after a couple of blocks.
I just had a charging issue on mine. Had it checked they said the alternator was bad. Started to replace it and found the hot wire loose tightene
i had a charging issue. Had it tested. They said alternator was bad. So I started to change it and found the hot wire loose. I tightened it up and everything is fine. Mine was throwing different volts