Considering a new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
As the title says, I'm considering a new truck. With the towing I do a 2500 could be beneficial but my 1500 has worked fine for me so far. Even when towing the true benefit of a 2500 would only be noticed about 10% of the time. 90% of the time a 1500 would be fine. Of course you would notice the trailer more behind the 1500... However, the truck will be my main vehicle. Which mean daily driving, 60 miles round trip two day a week on the highway, running around town, and family vacations etc... I should also say, I don't need anything tomorrow, my only reason for looking now is the available of the 5.7 but honestly I'm not sure I want the e-torque version...

What I currently have:
2013 RAM 1500 Sport 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, 32 gal tank, standard rear coils with airlift 1000's (run between 10-15PSI) 125,000 miles lifetime warranty I would be keeping the truck for my youngest that will be driving in 2 years.

Trailer R&R PSD7522 (7.5' wide x 22'+5'V) (V-nose snowmobile trailer, also set up for camping)
Empty 4020lbs (weighed not sticker)
3 sleds (normal loading 90%) 5740lbs
4 sleds (loading 10%) 6680lbs

What I'm looking at:
'24 - 1500 RAM Limited 5.7 Hemi e-torque, 8 speed, 3.92, 33 gal tank, Air-ride
As I said I'm on the fence with the e-torque. and since I can not order one there are only a few spec close enough to the way I want it.

'24 or '25 - 2500 RAM Laramie or Rebel 6.4 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.73, Air-ride
Not real happy that the Limited does not offer the 6.4 Hemi.
The 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel is overkill and would just be higher maintenance.
As of now it looks like the 6.4 is sticking around so no rush to order.
Gas milage will be less when it comes to my everyday driving and trips not towing which is 70% of my driving.

'24 or '25 - F-150 Platinum 5.0, 10 speed, 3.73, 36 gal tank, Continuously Controlled Damping shocks and max trailer tow package.
As of now it looks like the 5.0 is sticking around so no rush to order.
I have heard good and bad about the Ford 10 speed.
Not apples to apples but my last truck was a '98 F-150 XLT 4.6 Triton V8. I had to have the trans rebuilt in that. Had a '94 Thunderbird 4.6 V8 and had trans issues as well. Both were used vehicles... But it is in the back of my mind... So far so good with my RAM. I even found a used 2010 RAM 5.7 Hemi 6 speed for my son a few years ago. So far it has been a good truck. Lastly, I realize that all vehicles have the potential for issues. Knowledge going in can sometime help catch things early or before a problem is to costly...

F-250 would be the other option but I have not even really looked a those...

With all this said, I did go a test drive a Jeep Grand Wagoneer Hurricane HO. I did not get to tow with it, but honestly I was surprised at the power... My understand is the RAM 1500 is only available with the Hurricane SO. They did have 0% financing on these, so that is tempting... The salesman did slip and say he had to find one that was ready to drive. When I question him and pressed the battery issues I've heard about he said, Yes, some had their batteries disconnected do to that issue. He was quick to follow up with, "They all have been fixed. They just have not had the time to reconnect the batteries on all of them." I just thought to myself sure..., you expect me to believe your mechanic fixed the issues where the truck is sitting and did not reconnect the battery... OK let's go with that story...LOL

I also so test drove the F-150 with 3.5L Hybrid V6 (not the Eco-boost) I hated it! It felt very clunky in the hand over from electric to gas and vice versa...

Another thought is to wait and see what becomes of the RAM Charger... but I'm fairly sure I do not want the first year... Honestly, it seams like around the third year mark they get the kinks work out for the most part. The RAM Charger does seem to offer up some good specs and actual function as a truck first. So it has me intrigued...

With all this said, I'm looking for some thoughts or real world experience with any of the trucks above. Any reason to go one way or another? Also, how prevalent is this battery issue? Is there an actual known fix? Lastly, for anyone that has been keeping up on the car market, it seems price have been falling slowly and steadily for some time now. Maybe waiting is a good thing... Any insights on the car market?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Towing with a 1500 nearing 7,000 lbs. Well it will do it, as long as set up correctly and staying flat. I tow that much infrequently when I get hay. But I am just stock and not even use a WHD, since only a local tow. Would not do that on a long haul.

My thoughts and biased opinions: I have one of the 1st Builds of the 5th Gen, from April 2018, no E junkola. If U can find a 1500 somewhere without it, and U want the Hemi, U best Jump as quick as U can. Maybe U find a leftover 2023 also with no E junkola. Come 2025, U may be stuck with 1st Gen of IO Hurricane, on the 1500's who knows. If U like how the 2024 U mentioned outfitted, looks like U gotta end up with E Junkola. IF u do, INSURE U keep an eye on the back window, CHMSL area and such ref leaks, cause U get water back there on that 48V system battery, major issues.

Ford: ONLY motor I would consider is the 5.0 Coyote, BUT just like the Hemi, U gotta maintain well.

10 speed trans Joint GM/FORD: From wat I have read, GM did a better job tuning for their platforms than Ford did. Ford having all sort of issues with the 10 speed: But GM having major issues with Cams and Lifters, even with very low mileage. And GM's 2.7L turbo in full size truck, heck no.

Ford Eco Boost 3.5/6 junkola: Heck no.

The new RAM Charger truck EV: with battery pack, and also a Pentastar under the Hood: So U gotta worry about both: Enuf said on that.

OP, Again, wat works for you, and makes you happy and your wallet happy. ALL IMHO, yer wallet, do as U see fit and makes U happy regardless of wat any of us "opinionated" PPL relate.

Last edited:

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My vote is for the limited 1500. Should be plenty of truck 90% of the time and adequate 100% of the time

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have just migrated to a brand new Classic Warlock from a then new 19' Classic Express Sport...

My 19' had 3.21 gearing and my new Warlock has 3.92.... big difference in towing capacity's!

if you tow infrequently or not... then get 3.92 gearing in your 1500 and you'll be very happy!
Yes, a bit more fuel... but well worth it for the additional 3,000# towing capacity.

Regardless.... stick with a Ram Truck.. that's my $0.02 anyways...lol.

If you want a ford.... then the only engine to consider is the 5.0V8, period!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've bounced back and forth between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton several times over the years. Gas from all of the big 3 and the only time I tried a diesel was a Ford.

I would not get a 3/4 ton unless I needed the 3/4 ton. If your gas 1/2 ton deals with your trailer in a manner you find satisfactory now, stick with that formula.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Towing with a 1500 nearing 7,000 lbs. Well it will do it, as long as set up correctly and staying flat. I tow that much infrequently when I get hay. But I am just stock and not even use a WHD, since only a local tow. Would not do that on a long haul.

My thoughts and biased opinions: I have one of the 1st Builds of the 5th Gen, from April 2018, no E junkola. If U can find a 1500 somewhere without it, and U want the Hemi, U best Jump as quick as U can. Maybe U find a leftover 2023 also with no E junkola. Come 2025, U may be stuck with 1st Gen of IO Hurricane, on the 1500's who knows. If U like how the 2024 U mentioned outfitted, looks like U gotta end up with E Junkola. IF u do, INSURE U keep an eye on the back window, CHMSL area and such ref leaks, cause U get water back there on that 48V system battery, major issues.
2023 was the first year that you couldn't get a Hemi without etorque. He'd need to go to a 2022 or earlier model year.

Ford: ONLY motor I would consider is the 5.0 Coyote, BUT just like the Hemi, U gotta maintain well.

10 speed trans Joint GM/FORD: From wat I have read, GM did a better job tuning for their platforms than Ford did. Ford having all sort of issues with the 10 speed: But GM having major issues with Cams and Lifters, even with very low mileage. And GM's 2.7L turbo in full size truck, heck no.

Ford Eco Boost 3.5/6 junkola: Heck no.
5.0 engines had their own issues with timing chains, similar to the Ecoboost engines. My 2014 F150 has over 120k miles. Intake manifold gasket was replaced, but everything else is original to the engine. It's a strong engine. Having said that, I would rather have the 5.0.

The new RAM Charger truck EV: with battery pack, and also a Pentastar under the Hood: So U gotta worry about both: Enuf said on that.
I think that is going to be a game changer. No way to know about long term reliability with the EV side though, so that's definitely a wild card. The Pentastar engine is pretty much bullet proof. Regular oil changes will keep it running forever.

OP, Again, wat works for you, and makes you happy and your wallet happy. ALL IMHO, yer wallet, do as U see fit and makes U happy regardless of wat any of us "opinionated" PPL relate.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you thought of a low mileage used Ram. I found a '15 Ram Laramie 1500 at a great price. The money I saved, is sitting in the kitty for the potential "things that go bump in the night!"

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I haven't followed Ford or Chevy on the forums. Have you researched the Pro/Cons of the 5th Gen Ram?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I have not responded this week, it's just been very busy... All is good just busy, both work and working on a fundraiser for a volunteer fire department.

Just not find anything I really like or got to have right now. That alone tells me to wait and take things slow. Like I said I'm a no rush. The bigger thing for me was getting some ideas of exactly what I needed and what I wanted... That way if a good deal came around I could jump on it. While I'm not 100% sure of exactly what I want. I do have a much better idea. I think some of it'll come down to what deals are available as well.

With that said, I've also read many articles on how we're going to see a change with incentives, deals, and offers... I think with interest rates the way they are and vehicle inventory starting to come up. We're going to see some prices falling on cars in the future. I'm thinking it will be fairly noticeable by the end of this year.

2023 was the first year that you couldn't get a Hemi without etorque. He'd need to go to a 2022 or earlier model year.

5.0 engines had their own issues with timing chains, similar to the Ecoboost engines. My 2014 F150 has over 120k miles. Intake manifold gasket was replaced, but everything else is original to the engine. It's a strong engine. Having said that, I would rather have the 5.0.

I think that is going to be a game changer. No way to know about long term reliability with the EV side though, so that's definitely a wild card. The Pentastar engine is pretty much bullet proof. Regular oil changes will keep it running forever.

I agree, and I'm not on the EV brand wagon. But if the change is going to be forced at least make it bearable for us to get through... To me having an onboard generator just makes the most sense at this time. Electric infrastructure definitely isn't there and I'm not waiting multiple hours to charge a vehicle! I taught my kids when we took road trips we only stopped for gas. They learned real quick... We have done plenty of road trips. One of my kids favorite trips was taking a road trip around Lake Michigan. No specific set plans just a few things we wanted to see and then explored from there... Found the places we wanted to stay as we pulled into town... We stayed in hotels, cabins, and I was smart enough to throw a tent in the back of the truck just in case. Camping just worked out to be what we decided to do one night and we had a great time!

Have you thought of a low mileage used Ram. I found a '15 Ram Laramie 1500 at a great price. The money I saved, is sitting in the kitty for the potential "things that go bump in the night!"
While I haven't specifically looked at used yet. It's not off the table. It comes down to what makes the most sense. As I said above I think right now we're on the tip of what we're going to see for incentives on new cars... I'm sure used will fall right in line behind it. Unfortunately, I think for some that may put them very upside down on their loans.

If you look at my profile I have a 2011 and a 2013 RAM. The 2011 I just bought about a year and a half ago for my son. So far it's been a great truck for him. At about that same time my mom was shopping for a car as well. She ended up really liking the Buick Enclaves, but when we stopped in the dealer they didn't have any new ones available to test drive. Of course the salesman was quick to offer up one of the used ones. She ended up buying that one. Honestly it looked and still smelled brand new had a little less than 10,000 miles on it. Of course the savings between new to used help sweeten the deal.

So yes, I'm open to it, just have to find one that works and has the features I want.

Thanks for all the replies definitely giving me many things to think about.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title says, I'm considering a new truck. With the towing I do a 2500 could be beneficial but my 1500 has worked fine for me so far. Even when towing the true benefit of a 2500 would only be noticed about 10% of the time. 90% of the time a 1500 would be fine. Of course you would notice the trailer more behind the 1500... However, the truck will be my main vehicle. Which mean daily driving, 60 miles round trip two day a week on the highway, running around town, and family vacations etc... I should also say, I don't need anything tomorrow, my only reason for looking now is the available of the 5.7 but honestly I'm not sure I want the e-torque version...

What I currently have:
2013 RAM 1500 Sport 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, 32 gal tank, standard rear coils with airlift 1000's (run between 10-15PSI) 125,000 miles lifetime warranty I would be keeping the truck for my youngest that will be driving in 2 years.

Trailer R&R PSD7522 (7.5' wide x 22'+5'V) (V-nose snowmobile trailer, also set up for camping)
Empty 4020lbs (weighed not sticker)
3 sleds (normal loading 90%) 5740lbs
4 sleds (loading 10%) 6680lbs

What I'm looking at:
'24 - 1500 RAM Limited 5.7 Hemi e-torque, 8 speed, 3.92, 33 gal tank, Air-ride
As I said I'm on the fence with the e-torque. and since I can not order one there are only a few spec close enough to the way I want it.

'24 or '25 - 2500 RAM Laramie or Rebel 6.4 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.73, Air-ride
Not real happy that the Limited does not offer the 6.4 Hemi.
The 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel is overkill and would just be higher maintenance.
As of now it looks like the 6.4 is sticking around so no rush to order.
Gas milage will be less when it comes to my everyday driving and trips not towing which is 70% of my driving.

'24 or '25 - F-150 Platinum 5.0, 10 speed, 3.73, 36 gal tank, Continuously Controlled Damping shocks and max trailer tow package.
As of now it looks like the 5.0 is sticking around so no rush to order.
I have heard good and bad about the Ford 10 speed.
Not apples to apples but my last truck was a '98 F-150 XLT 4.6 Triton V8. I had to have the trans rebuilt in that. Had a '94 Thunderbird 4.6 V8 and had trans issues as well. Both were used vehicles... But it is in the back of my mind... So far so good with my RAM. I even found a used 2010 RAM 5.7 Hemi 6 speed for my son a few years ago. So far it has been a good truck. Lastly, I realize that all vehicles have the potential for issues. Knowledge going in can sometime help catch things early or before a problem is to costly...

F-250 would be the other option but I have not even really looked a those...

With all this said, I did go a test drive a Jeep Grand Wagoneer Hurricane HO. I did not get to tow with it, but honestly I was surprised at the power... My understand is the RAM 1500 is only available with the Hurricane SO. They did have 0% financing on these, so that is tempting... The salesman did slip and say he had to find one that was ready to drive. When I question him and pressed the battery issues I've heard about he said, Yes, some had their batteries disconnected do to that issue. He was quick to follow up with, "They all have been fixed. They just have not had the time to reconnect the batteries on all of them." I just thought to myself sure..., you expect me to believe your mechanic fixed the issues where the truck is sitting and did not reconnect the battery... OK let's go with that story...LOL

I also so test drove the F-150 with 3.5L Hybrid V6 (not the Eco-boost) I hated it! It felt very clunky in the hand over from electric to gas and vice versa...

Another thought is to wait and see what becomes of the RAM Charger... but I'm fairly sure I do not want the first year... Honestly, it seams like around the third year mark they get the kinks work out for the most part. The RAM Charger does seem to offer up some good specs and actual function as a truck first. So it has me intrigued...

With all this said, I'm looking for some thoughts or real world experience with any of the trucks above. Any reason to go one way or another? Also, how prevalent is this battery issue? Is there an actual known fix? Lastly, for anyone that has been keeping up on the car market, it seems price have been falling slowly and steadily for some time now. Maybe waiting is a good thing... Any insights on the car market?
You say higher maintenance for a diesel engine not really that 6.7 if taken care of is a million mile plus engine. My 2013 ram 3500 6.7 has almost 600,000 on it. I average 21 mpg while driving the pickup on the road empty and sometimes better. 14 city driving that is with a one ton truck. Myself I would own the 2500 with the 6.7 your fuel mileage pulling will be in the 12and 13 or more range but the increased braking power while pulling a trailer would-be better. But I'm a diesel kind of guy anyhow.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You say higher maintenance for a diesel engine not really that 6.7 if taken care of is a million mile plus engine. My 2013 ram 3500 6.7 has almost 600,000 on it. I average 21 mpg while driving the pickup on the road empty and sometimes better. 14 city driving that is with a one ton truck. Myself I would own the 2500 with the 6.7 your fuel mileage pulling will be in the 12and 13 or more range but the increased braking power while pulling a trailer would-be better. But I'm a diesel kind of guy anyhow.
Diesel are made to be driven lots of miles, and when it sits they developed leaks, and it seems like small problems that can lead to bigger issues and bigger problems... So the guy going out and hauling a lot of miles they make since. For me driving just to work and driving other vehicles it does not make as much sense for towing here and there...

I've been a volunteer firefight for 30 years. I have been in every position on the department. Maintenance especially on our ambulance has always been a killer. The gas vehicles just seem to take the inconsistent driving the best. Our department has a fleet of 20 vehicles. we run over 1500 calls a year. The call divided up break down to just over 4 per day. The three ambulances run the most and we saw a huge decrease in maintenance and repair bills once all three were gas. So that what I was bassing that off of...

Work trucks just don't seem to look like work trucks anymore. That's a nice truck!
The truck in that link says Tradesman but the interior picture is a higher model, like at Limited with leather... So yes they have changed but not that nice...

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Diesel are made to be driven lots of miles, and when it sits they developed leaks, and it seems like small problems that can lead to bigger issues and bigger problems... So the guy going out and hauling a lot of miles they make since. For me driving just to work and driving other vehicles it does not make as much sense for towing here and there...

I've been a volunteer firefight for 30 years. I have been in every position on the department. Maintenance especially on our ambulance has always been a killer. The gas vehicles just seem to take the inconsistent driving the best. Our department has a fleet of 20 vehicles. we run over 1500 calls a year. The call divided up break down to just over 4 per day. The three ambulances run the most and we saw a huge decrease in maintenance and repair bills once all three were gas. So that what I was bassing that off of...

The truck in that link says Tradesman but the interior picture is a higher model, like at Limited with leather... So yes they have changed but not that nice...
That's just generic RAM corporate site photos they put there, not the actual truck...but those pictures will get people to the lot for that price.

I had a diesel for over a decade and loved it, but it was pre-DEF. I would still have it today if it wasn't for a distracted Jeep driver.

As much as compression ignition runs through my veins I couldn't justify the added maintenance costs (and potential repair bills) plus care-and-feeding of a diesel unless I was making the powerplant earn its keep.