Coolant leak around transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thevabrowns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V-6
I seem to have a coolant leak above my transmission. I cannot see where it is leaking but it seems to be running down both sides of the transmission. I see there is some kind of cooler next to the transmission that has water lines as well as transmission lines going into it I believe. I know it is not the main Transmission Cooler, as that is in front of the radiator. What is this thing, and has anyone experienced it leaking? Maybe just one of the hoses?
Thank You

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seem to have a coolant leak above my transmission. I cannot see where it is leaking but it seems to be running down both sides of the transmission. I see there is some kind of cooler next to the transmission that has water lines as well as transmission lines going into it I believe. I know it is not the main Transmission Cooler, as that is in front of the radiator. What is this thing, and has anyone experienced it leaking? Maybe just one of the hoses?
Thank You
Two questions, are you sure it’s coolant and do you have the 3.6L V6 engine? I looked at your profile and it says 3.2L. The reason I ask these questions is a coolant or oil leak that runs down both sides of the transmission and coats the underside of the vehicle with the 3.6L Pentastar frequently has a leaking oil filter housing/cooler. That’s the thing where your oil filter goes on top of the engine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You have the 8 speed transmission,and it does have coolant hoses on top of the transmission,feeding coolant to the thermal management unit on the drivers side of the transmission.It's not common for them to leak,but it's also not uncommon either.They're a b!atch to get at.They're a hard line,that switches to a rubber hose at the top of the transmission.
In this pic,you can see where i looped mine together when i removed the thermal unit.Shortly after this pic,i swapped to the 6 speed molded hoses,and got rid of the coolant lines to the thermal management unit. I ended up cutting the hardlines to remove them. The looped rubber hoses originally connected to these 2 hose barbs on the thermal unit.

Attachments

• IMG_4262 (2).JPG
    IMG_4262 (2).JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4266 (2).JPG
    IMG_4266 (2).JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thevabrowns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V-6
Sorry about that. It is a 3.6L and I have changed it in my profile. Thanks for catching that.
It is definately coolant, and a good amount of it. I have a not so good video where I was trying to see where it was coming from but it shows the amount of fluid pouring out. I will see if I can post it.

OP
OP
T

thevabrowns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V-6
Wild One,
You were able to remove it, or you just connected them to keep from loosing too much coolant while replacing it? Those lines tdo look difficult to reach and I thought of bypassing it temporarily in the engine compartment. What would I watch out for if i bypassed the coolant lines, Transmission heating up? I am hot sure what that block is supposed to do....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild One,
You were able to remove it, or you just connected them to keep from loosing too much coolant while replacing it? Those lines tdo look difficult to reach and I thought of bypassing it temporarily in the engine compartment. What would I watch out for if i bypassed the coolant lines, Transmission heating up? I am hot sure what that block is supposed to do....
Easier to just point you to a thread on the thermal management unit. Start reading about here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357