Weird coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gen2withlove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1995, 360 well-maintained and loved truck.

When I turn off the engine I get a wet patch on the ground under the Left-front (Driver) bumper region. I first saw the patch yesterday when about to go out and I could not see where it came from. I drove to the store and when I came out there was a patch in roughly the same spot on the store parking lot.

It smelled like coolant so I slowly began to remove the radiator cap to check the coolant level and a bunch gushed out as soon as I was past the pressure-point notch so closed it down again.

I drove home and left the truck idling and no wet patch. I put a plastic container under the spot, went around and turned the ignition off. When I came back around to the front there was about 1/4-cup (maybe little less) of coolant in the container.

I have just checked (no start this morning) the fluid level and the overflow tank is empty and removing the radiator cap, it is at the full level.

Before a major tear down, thought I'd ask here first as it does not seem to be losing fluid while driving. I cannot see where it is coming from.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You might try posting this in the 2nd Generation forum as it may be something specific to your engine. This forum is for 5th Gen vehicles.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put a plastic container under the spot, went around and turned the ignition off. When I came back around to the front there was about 1/4-cup (maybe little less) of coolant in the container.

I cannot see where it is coming from.

Thoughts?

Thanks
My thought: Maybe have someone else turn the truck off while you stay at the front?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Make sure the path from the radiator and overflow tank is clear. ( remove hose and blow thru it or use compressed air)

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Make sure the path from the radiator and overflow tank is clear. ( remove hose and blow thru it or use compressed air)
Remember, this is a 1995 model. I'm thinking there is no overflow tank as the OP said he removed the radiator cap to check the level.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Pressure test the cooling system and the radiator cap as well.

My 19' had a minor coolant leak last year (put spots on my lady's new cement driveway, and I was dang near skinned alive for it...lol)...

My cooling system was pressure tested and everything was solid.
Then my rad cap was pressure tested and it was leaking at the gasket from a small blemish in the seal that finally let the coolant leak.

Put a new OEM rad cap on and all was good afterwards.

OP
OP
G

gen2withlove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My 19' had a minor coolant leak last year (put spots on my lady's new cement driveway, and I was dang near skinned alive for it...lol)...

Then my rad cap was pressure tested and it was leaking at the gasket from a small blemish in the seal that finally let the coolant leak.

Thanks, but the overflow and radiator cap are both on the passenger side, miles away from the puddle. But, I will check and see if it had run along the inside of the bumper or shroud. Driveway is leaning a little in that direction, but the store parking lot was level, so maybe not. :)

OP
OP
G

gen2withlove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Will try that, I have a new one here somewhere.

OP
OP
G

gen2withlove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember, this is a 1995 model. I'm thinking there is no overflow tank as the OP said he removed the radiator cap to check the level.
{grin} Yup, I am that old I can remember when there were no overflow tanks, but it was before this '95.

OP
OP
G

gen2withlove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might try posting this in the 2nd Generation forum as it may be something specific to your engine. This forum is for 5th Gen vehicles.
Will do, but that group seems to be dead. Last time I posted there for something it was weeks and nothing. Thought I'd give this a try as many good Dodge folk have grown up with the family of trucks. ;)

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They gotta go in the right place. Imagine the cluster this forum would turn in with stuff in wrong sections all the time. We move tons of posts everyday to keep everything organized.

Sadly 2nd gen section is a bit dead. But your truck is 30 years old now. I know, time flies! It doesn't seem like that long ago I had a 95 still.