Couldn't Switch to a 2500!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Jarrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 12 1500 4x4 5.7L with GY 20's that I am asking an awful lot of towing my 6400# travel trailer and my Harley in the box, but I just couldn't bring myself to go up to a 2500. It just seemed too big and sluggish compared to my 1500. I tow all of this stuff 4 or 5 times a year with the rest of the time the truck is empty. I already have the TLC bags on the back but the trailer still tries to push the truck around.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I need tires soon so I thought I would switch to Michelin LT's 20's instead of the GY 20's. They appear to have a much better sidewall. And install some adjustable Rancho shocks all the way around. This will probably stiffen the ride some but not as bad as the 2500.

Lastly, does the low restriction exhaust and air cleaner really do anything but make more noise? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don't bother with the air cleaner and exhaust unless you like throwing money away. They add a little, but if you look at the dyno charts, it's at the top end for the most part, and one thing that people forget is how much that will resonate off the trailer in tow. It used to make our trips almost unbearable.

Rancho 9000s- love them. Have them on all 4 corners. One thing I might suggest, and this is just my opinion, replace your rear coils completely. Takes a lot of the bounce and wobble out I have found. With the ranchos dialed right up and the heavy coils, I didn't find it to ride bad at all.

The stiffer sidewall rubber will help a lot. Personally, I run BFGs, but I hear good things about Michelins too. Same parent company I believe.

That trailer will always push your little truck around. It will be a bit better with the changes you're going to make, but it will still have its way with you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i agree with these gentleman since you already have bags, shocks and distribution should be it..does the trailer have electric brakes? naybe add a brake controller if so...

the only thing im wondering is what 2500 you test drove that was sluggish..couldnt have been a 6.4 or youd probably have bought it :p

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

Dennis Jarrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I have a WDH with 1000# and 1400# bars. also two friction style anti sway bars. The 2500 was a 6.4L. It just felt heavy and sluggish compared to my 1500. It was brand new so I didn't hammer it. I just drive my truck empty way too much to put up with the extra weight, height, and less mpg.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
fair enough..i drive empty frequently as well but i love the added height, weight and stiffer ride plus i have a regular cab with the 6.4..no cc 1/2 ton keeps up with me :cool:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
fair enough..i drive empty frequently as well but i love the added height, weight and stiffer ride plus i have a regular cab with the 6.4..no cc 1/2 ton keeps up with me :cool:

Yeah they won't keep up with you unless you are both empty...

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you won't trade the truck, maybe consider trading the trailer for a toy hauler that would put the harley behind the trailer axles. Would be a night and day towing experience to take that weight out of the box and off the tongue.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah they won't keep up with you unless you are both empty...

we weigh in about the same..the 6.4 has a little extra umph but its close none the less

i think getting a toy hauler would defeat the purpose of the camper though..do they make tts that haul vehicles too? ive seen rvs like that but not trailers

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
we weigh in about the same..the 6.4 has a little extra umph but its close none the less

i think getting a toy hauler would defeat the purpose of the camper though..do they make tts that haul vehicles too? ive seen rvs like that but not trailers

yes.....

OP
OP
D

Dennis Jarrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I have been looking at toy haulers. Just haven't found the layout that my wife and I both like.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PLEASE let us know how the new tires change your towing experience. I can't wait to ditch the GY's for some General grabber HT+'s with a 119 load rating.

Wouldn't any toy hauler weigh more than 7K, likely shifting wright back but adding significantly more, including tongue weight?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not necessarily. Some of them share the garage space with the rear bedroom, so it ends up the same as a similar sized TT. The rear bed will just fold or lift out of the way for loading the toy.

OP
OP
D

Dennis Jarrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the Outback toy hauler but it does seem to put am awful lot of weight on the tongue.
Datacom Guy: zWhat tires did you say you put on?

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same boat as u. My toy hauler is 7000 dry. Crazy tongue weight. I will be getting either a new trailer or truck. Getting a house soon so ill have to wait. But , here are some that I was looking at that are VERY light. Hyperlite XLR, Keystone Carbon, Fun finder XTRA. Notice the insanely light tongue weights and total weights.

I have a 12 1500 4x4 5.7L with GY 20's that I am asking an awful lot of towing my 6400# travel trailer and my Harley in the box, but I just couldn't bring myself to go up to a 2500. It just seemed too big and sluggish compared to my 1500. I tow all of this stuff 4 or 5 times a year with the rest of the time the truck is empty. I already have the TLC bags on the back but the trailer still tries to push the truck around.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I need tires soon so I thought I would switch to Michelin LT's 20's instead of the GY 20's. They appear to have a much better sidewall. And install some adjustable Rancho shocks all the way around. This will probably stiffen the ride some but not as bad as the 2500.

Lastly, does the low restriction exhaust and air cleaner really do anything but make more noise? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

chipdudeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I will throw this out there.... and I know its been discussed before, its not the weight of the trailer and cargo that matters, its the ability to stop and control it. Depending on where you roll, a tricked out half ton may never really fit the bill when it comes to stopping, regardless of hitches, tires, air bags etc. I was in the same position and finally decided that with the kid in the back, that a 2500 was worth the cost, even if it meant a lower trim. And now, the beast tows the toy hauler like it wasn't even there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley