Neutral Safety Switch Location on 2015 5.7 L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laukhuf2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Express with the 5.7 L Hemi engine. I bought it used 6 or 7 years ago. The reverse lights have never worked and I was lazy never did anything about it. Now the truck is not starting at all. The battery has full power. I assumed it was a problem with the starter but upon doing some reading on here I am wondering about the Neutral Safety Switch. That seems to be an issue that would be related to the reverse lights and now the truck not starting.

However, I am finding absolutely nothing about the neutral safety switch on the 4th generation Ram. On the 3rd generation it is located on the outside of the transmission on the passenger side. But on the 4th generation Ram I can't even find a replacement part. What is the story with the neutral safety switch on this engine? Does it exist and if it does, where is it located?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you have a column shifter or a shift knob?
The shift knob is for the 8 spd transmission which is shift-by-wire.

OP
OP
L

laukhuf2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the shift knob. So with the knob there is no safety switch?

What is the equivalent fix?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your problem is possibly with the TCU and/or transmission valve-body(the TCU is inside the transmission).
Another possible problem could be with the BCM but you need to have the problem properly diagnosed as throwing parts at this problem will get expensive fast.

OP
OP
L

laukhuf2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to have the PCM replaced about a year ago.

Any possibility this is just the starter that went bad?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
troubleshooting the starter and if the battery is bad would be a good place to begin

OP
OP
L

laukhuf2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So some things to add:

I tried the old hit the starter with a hammer method to see if it would start the truck. It did not.

However, while I was down there and my wife was turning the key, I could here an electrical buzz while the key was in the ignition. I could also hear a clicking sound when she turned the key.

I'm not a real car person I will be honest so I don't know if these added symptoms mean anything.

Thank you to those that have answered so far and those that respond in the future.