Cruise control not working after AlphaOBD change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new to me 2020 Ram 1500 Classic with 66k. I picked up from dealer 3 weeks ago. On the way home I used the cruise control. This week I installed the factory trailer brake and programmed with security bypass, OBDLink MX, and Alpha OBD. This upgrade involves adding a controller under dash to the left side of the center dash console. Two plugs previously wrapped in foam were plugged into the controller. The security bypass went into the OBD along with 2 white connectors into the CAN blocks. There was more than one spot I could plug in the connectors into the CAN blocks - I didn't know which to use so I chose the ones closest to the other connectors. I then took off the center dash console to remove the blank for the trailer brake and install the factory switch in its place. During this, I also unplugged some of the other connectors to the dash console, in order to get a good angle on the screws to remove the cluster that houses the trailer brake switch. I plugged everything back in after it was complete.

Everything went perfect first time and it recognized it no problem after the programming. This weekend I hit the highway and nothing happens when I hit the cruise control button. Gears +- works fine. Can anyone think of a reason this would happen due to the upgrade I did? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your going to need a good scanner or alfaobd see if its throwing a code/error for the cruise control maybe ya un plugged something.

OP
OP
C

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your going to need a good scanner or alfaobd see if its throwing a code/error for the cruise control maybe ya un plugged something.

Will it throw codes without a check engine light? I have AlphaOBD

OP
OP
C

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you check for these codes in AlphaOBD? I went to the check engine symbol, clicked to check for faults and it said no faults detected. Do i need the security bypass to check for faults or is that just for programming?

OP
OP
C

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it appears from my research the official fix is several good smacks on the steering wheel above the cruise control button. Crazy but it works

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are two possibilities going on here.......it was either caused by the all of the other work that was performed such as something not getting plugged back in correctly, or the cruise control not working has nothing to do with the the work that was performed and just happened to stop working. Yeah, I know that doesn't narrow down the issue but you need to determine which one it is.

It's seems pretty common for people (including myself) to have issues with the cruise control button on the steering wheel to quit working, or only work sporadically. This can be from either the actual button wearing out, issues with the clock spring, or simply the little wires getting worn through or a bad connection. On mine about 50% of the time when you hit the cruise button nothing happens and if you sit there and fiddle with hitting the controls it will eventually turn on. My first recommendation would be to go out driving and fiddle with the buttons a bunch, and you can even try smacking the back of the wheel or column as mentioned above and see if you can get it to eventually come on.

For checking on the scanner or AlphaOBD see if it shows any cruise control related data. On a high level scanner I would suspect you could pull up a page that at least shows you if the ECM is receiving a signal from the cruise control button....not sure if Alpha can do this or not?