Cruise Control Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arpi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Good afternoon everyone!! I have an issue with my cruise control. The indicator light does not appear on the dash showing it is enabled when I push the button on the steering wheel. I have changed the break switch, the button switch on the steering wheel and I changed a speed control sensor on the front drivers side wheel. When on a scanner the button are showing voltage changed when pressed. Took the steering wheel apart and checked the sub harness for broken wires they are all intact. I’m at a loss the only other thing I can think of is clock spring or a broken wire somewhere down the line. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you for your time. The truck is a 2012 1500 lone star by the way the horn and everything else does work

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
drive to one of the bigger auto parts stores
ask them if the would use their scan tool to see if any stored codes appear

on occasion, a code fault will cause the cruise control to malfunction

OP
OP
A

Arpi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had it on a snap on scanner my wife’s family has a shop and we have been trying to trouble shoot it there no codes shown. They have never encountered this issue before so it’s new to them as well.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When on a scanner the button are showing voltage changed when pressed.
Based on that, it would appear there is nothing wrong with the buttons or wiring. There is a set of conditions published in your owner's manual that will prevent cruise control from engaging or, CC is no longer offered in 2102 models.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not familiar with what parameters can be viewed on the scanner in this exact situation, but if it has a cruise on and off indicator as something you can see on the scanner than it's not in the button or wiring. The scanner is reading the ECM parameters, and if the ECM can see the cruise button is being pushed than it can't be the wiring to the ECM. However I would do some research and make sure whatever parameter you are looking at on the scanner is truly what you thing it is.
With that said the cruise control not becoming enables with the on/off switch seems to be a fairly common problem on these trucks, which includes mine. I hit the cruise on/off switch on the steering wheel and it randomly will not work. Usually if I keep tapping buttons and messing with the buttons it will eventually enables, which then let's me actually set the cruise control. Sometimes I will go 4-5 different times when driving it and it will not enable, then I will drive it another 4-5 times and it will always come on.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had an issue early on with my 2014 on warranty , the cruise light would come on the dash , but when pushing the set button it would not light up green and engage the cruise . It was something to with a flash or reset , nothing was broke or undone . It took them about a half hour to run the diagnostic, and reset .

OldBaldGuy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic Warlock
Engine
Newbie here, this is my first post.

That having been said, I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Classic 2 years now and I'm creeping up to 35,000 miles.
I LOVE the truck. Enough about me.

I have (recently) become mildly to severely irritated with my RAM's cruise control because in the past month it has gone from occasionally to totally unresponsive to the cruise on/off (mostly "on") button on the steering wheel.
All other buttons were fulfilling their desired function, but getting that particular button to do what I wanted it to do when I wanted to utilize the feature it refused to do so and left me frustrated.
I'm 74yo and sometimes I get impatient with 'stuff'.

I joined this forum today and searched on cruise control and one of the suggestions was to re-seat the fuse (F81 if IRC) in the fuse block. The first thing I noticed upon opening the dust cover of the fuse block was that many of the fuses were sitting up in their mounting areas, guesstimating from 1/64" to maybe 1/32" or so. Not so much, but still.
So I pulled F81 with the yellow gripper so thoughtfully provided by the FCA design engineers and reseated said fuse to its maximum depth.
I also repeated the seating to maximum depth exercise on _many_ other fuses in the area.
There were MANY that had to be pushed down without forcing to maximum depth for their sockets.

Long story short, I hopped in the truck and made my usual Saturday 'rounds' of about 150 miles with maybe 5 or 6 stops and after every stop I would press the Cruise On button and lo & behold it worked flawlessly.

If you are fighting an intermittent to constant electrical issue, press all the fuses in the block to their maximum depth and try it again. Troubleshooting 101 that I had so unfortunately neglected.

Elementary, my dear Watsons. . . .

Thank y'all for being here. Saved me a trip to the dealer.