DavidRam's 1st Audio Build... EVER! :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya! On Monday, I had better have decisions made and shopping carts checked out with my subs, enclosure and speakers, or this week will have been a total waste, lol!!!

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You didn't seem to excited about my speaker choices, I guess I repost them in 6.5s...

I went and read some reviews about the Helix subs and speakers on the German sites and they rate very well among the krautes! :)

Btw, what is wrong with 5.25s and why are 6.5s better (not being argumentative, just wanna learn)??

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing really accept output is better so you get that whack in your chest and there are a ton more options in a 6.5 compared to a 5.25.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing really accept output is better so you get that whack in your chest and there are a ton more options in a 6.5 compared to a 5.25.

What attracted me to the 5.25s is simple install with a bracket (according to Crotchfield)...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are brackets for 6.5s also but what they are talking about is thin abs plastic that is horrible for resonating . MDF won't be as bad on this area.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, thanks for the info. I am gonna go talk to 310kreations on Monday regarding install and then order all the pieces to the puzzle!

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You also have to consider how high your substage can play without being localized. You want a smooth transition from mid to sub. Typically a 5.25 won't play as low as a 6.5. our brain can localize frequencies from about 80 hz and above. without dsp and or a really great install the bass will come from behind you or wherever the sub is in the cabin. You really want to be able to close your eyes and have no idea where the sub is. A 5.25 can do that but it gets a little more involved. Time alignment and Phase adjustment which a dsp will give you. and a lot of time tuning along with a steep learning curve if it's new to you.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You also have to consider how high your substage can play without being localized. You want a smooth transition from mid to sub. Typically a 5.25 won't play as low as a 6.5. our brain can localize frequencies from about 80 hz and above. without dsp and or a really great install the bass will come from behind you or wherever the sub is in the cabin. You really want to be able to close your eyes and have no idea where the sub is. A 5.25 can do that but it gets a little more involved. Time alignment and Phase adjustment which a dsp will give you. and a lot of time tuning along with a steep learning curve if it's new to you.

Great explanation, thanks!

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Great explanation, thanks!

Typically a sealed sub enclosure will allow it to play a little higher into the midbass range and still have a flat response. That would make it easier to use a 5.25 mid. Ported will have a lower peak in the response and need a larger driver to play deeper into the range where the mid drops off. 6.5mids or larger are so much easier.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is a good site to find a variety of 6.5s to compare??? Crutchfield is mostly showing me 5.25s and 6.75s.