Daytime Dash Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Stupid question from a stupid user. I bought a 2001 Ram 3500 SLT and wonder if the illumination lights on the instruments should come on in the day when the engine is running? Or do they only come on when the headlight switch is turned? This truck has dark tinted windows and I can hardly see the speedo, even during the day!

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Try turning up the dash brightness 1 Click before the dome light comes on.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Stupid question from a stupid user. I bought a 2001 Ram 3500 SLT and wonder if the illumination lights on the instruments should come on in the day when the engine is running? Or do they only come on when the headlight switch is turned? This truck has dark tinted windows and I can hardly see the speedo, even during the day!
The instrument cluster backlighting only comes on with the Headlamp switch and it's brightness is controlled by the dimmer. If the headlamp switch is in the off position the backlighting is not on.

OP
OP
Waco

Waco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Thanks much for the info. I might have to drive with the running lights on all the time just to see how fast I'm going. I don't know how the dark window tint passed inspection, but it did. Good for the Texas sun. Bad for reading dash.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks much for the info. I might have to drive with the running lights on all the time just to see how fast I'm going. I don't know how the dark window tint passed inspection, but it did. Good for the Texas sun. Bad for reading dash.
I drive with my park lamps on at all times. Its just a habit. I leave my headlamp switch in the park lamp position and just let the Front Control Module shut the lights off after the key is turned off. With the way Texas State Inspections are right now you may have a hard time getting the next inspection. If the window tint measures even 19.99% most inspectors and stations will fail it.

Im right down the road in Waxahachie. Does your truck have a 360 or V10 or is it a Cummins?

OP
OP
Waco

Waco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Im right down the road in Waxahachie. Does your truck have a 360 or V10 or is it a Cummins?

I'll just keep having it inspected by the same guy that passed it this time. ;)

And it has the 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Someone today suggested I might have a compression braking button on my dash somewhere. Is that a thing on Gen2? I guess I should read a manual once in a while.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll just keep having it inspected by the same guy that passed it this time. ;)

And it has the 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Someone today suggested I might have a compression braking button on my dash somewhere. Is that a thing on Gen2? I guess I should read a manual once in a while.

The only way you would have an engine brake on your model was if it was installed by one of the previous owners or a shop. The activation switches were mainly installed on the shifter as the switches were of a push-pull design.