Daytime running lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
most veh use the high beam as the DRL

I cannot see for the life of me why people want to disable these? they are hurting nothing and increase safety. I know depending on where you are in Canada they will impound your veh until it passes a safety inspection and give a fine for running with no DRL's
That's a new one on me,pray tell where are they impounding your vechicle in Canada for a burned out bulb.Next question is how would you go about repairing said bulb,if they've impounded the vehicle,and it's sitting in the impound lot. That law might be on the books,but it's not overly enforced.
By the way how would you legally be able to drive a vehicle built before DRL's came into law in Canada,and it's not equipped with them.Go to a local carshow,you'll see lots of vehicles built before the DRL law,and are plated and insured and legally drive on the street.
Another tidbit for you,alot of police vehicles in Canada have the ability to turn off the DRLs,so how can they do that,if it's illegal???

Last edited:

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
most veh use the high beam as the DRL

I cannot see for the life of me why people want to disable these? they are hurting nothing and increase safety. I know depending on where you are in Canada they will impound your veh until it passes a safety inspection and give a fine for running with no DRL's
I'd personally disable any DRL that uses the headlights or turn signals if I can't change them to the fog lights. The benefits of DRLs are very slight and, in my opinion, it is not worth burning the critical low beam bulb or using the high beam bulb and making it more difficult to flash other motorists. I also don't like the idea of having DRLs around the headlight fixture because it may drown out motorcycles or bicycles who keep their headlights on for safety. Running lights should be up high for motorcycles and bicycles and down low for cars and trucks.

Also, regarding the DRLs in Canada. From what I can find, the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the law that requires DRLs) only applies to manufactures and individuals that import vehicles not compliant with the law. There is no enforcement mechanism for an individual who disables DRLs in a vehicle sold in Canada or imported and passed import inspections. Only Nova Scotia requires individuals to have DRLs or run the low beam headlights during the day if the vehicle has no DRLs. Unless the province has safety inspections where DRLs are checked, it is not required and I doubt your vehicle would be impounded. Manitoba, Ontario, and Newfoundland & Labrador require a safety inspection after purchasing a car (new or used) before it can be registered. Prince Edward Island requires yearly safety inspections while Novia Scotia and New Brunswick requires a safety inspection every two years for passenger vehicles.

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
That's a new one on me,pray tell where are they impounding your vechicle in Canada for a burned out bulb.Next question is how would you go about repairing said bulb,if they've impounded the vehicle,and it's sitting in the impound lot. That law might be on the books,but it's not overly enforced.
By the way how would you legally be able to drive a vehicle built before DRL's came into law in Canada,and it's not equipped with them.Go to a local carshow,you'll see lots of vehicles built before the DRL law,and are plated and insured and legally drive on the street.
Another tidbit for you,alot of police vehicles in Canada have the ability to turn off the DRLs,so how can they do that,if it's illegal???
Only Nova Scotia has a law to enforce active DRLs. If your vehicle doesn't have DRLs, you can run the low beam headlights instead. It would most likely be a ticket or a warning unless someone gets pulled over often for no DRLs/low beams during the day.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd personally disable any DRL that uses the headlights or turn signals if I can't change them to the fog lights. The benefits of DRLs are very slight and, in my opinion, it is not worth burning the critical low beam bulb or using the high beam bulb and making it more difficult to flash other motorists. I also don't like the idea of having DRLs around the headlight fixture because it may drown out motorcycles or bicycles who keep their headlights on for safety. Running lights should be up high for motorcycles and bicycles and down low for cars and trucks.

Also, regarding the DRLs in Canada. From what I can find, the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the law that requires DRLs) only applies to manufactures and individuals that import vehicles not compliant with the law. There is no enforcement mechanism for an individual who disables DRLs in a vehicle sold in Canada or imported and passed import inspections. Only Nova Scotia requires individuals to have DRLs or run the low beam headlights during the day if the vehicle has no DRLs. Unless the province has safety inspections where DRLs are checked, it is not required and I doubt your vehicle would be impounded. Manitoba, Ontario, and Newfoundland & Labrador require a safety inspection after purchasing a car (new or used) before it can be registered. Prince Edward Island requires yearly safety inspections while Novia Scotia and New Brunswick requires a safety inspection every two years for passenger vehicles.
New cars don't require an inspection anywhere in Canada that i know of,most are exempt for at least 5 years before requiring an inspection.My 14 truck and 14 300C have never required an inspection in Alberta,and i bought the 300C used.

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
New cars don't require an inspection anywhere in Canada that i know of,most are exempt for at least 5 years before requiring an inspection.My 14 truck and 14 300C have never required an inspection in Alberta,and i bought the 300C used.
Alberta does not require vehicle inspections period. Were your 2014 RAM and 2014 300 purchased in Canada for the Canadian market? If so, they would not need inspection in Alberta. The only time inspection is needed is if you purchase a US vehicle and bring it to Canada or some other international market vehicle if it can meet Canadian requirements.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Alberta does not require vehicle inspections period. Were your 2014 RAM and 2014 300 purchased in Canada for the Canadian market? If so, they would not need inspection in Alberta. The only time inspection is needed is if you purchase a US vehicle and bring it to Canada or some other international market vehicle if it can meet Canadian requirements.
You also need a vehicle inspection when you change provinces,or buy a vehicle from another province. If the vehicle is bought in the same province as your resident is,you usually don't need an inspection ,or an out of province inspection which is a bit tougher.Us westeners don't really consider anything east of Manitoba as part of Canada,lol

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
On my 2017 there is no option in the lighting settings to turn off the daytime running lights.
Is there another way to turn them off?
The dealer can turn them off , I had mine turned on. I have a 17 too. Saves $ 30 a year on Insurance.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Only Nova Scotia has a law to enforce active DRLs. If your vehicle doesn't have DRLs, you can run the low beam headlights instead. It would most likely be a ticket or a warning unless someone gets pulled over often for no DRLs/low beams during the day.
Checked with a buddy who lives in Nova Scotia,and he's never had a ticket or been stopped for driving his older beaters with-out DRL's,he's never even heard of the law requiring headlights on during the day.That law is another one,that might be on the books,but isn't enforced or gives the mounties an excuse to stop you.You'll get hassled more for tinted windows in most parts of Canada then you will for driving around during daylight hours with no DRLs or low beam headlights on

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My amber turn signal drls look bad ass against my black night edition. Had to use Alfa though. Mine were halogen low beams. Looked awful.

My 1998 black ram air trans am had amber drls too. Looked mean coming at you with the ram air nostrils!

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed the DRL's in my build sheet, but were not activated. During the tailgate recall I had the dealer activate the DRL's.

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
Checked with a buddy who lives in Nova Scotia,and he's never had a ticket or been stopped for driving his older beaters with-out DRL's,he's never even heard of the law requiring headlights on during the day.That law is another one,that might be on the books,but isn't enforced or gives the mounties an excuse to stop you.You'll get hassled more for tinted windows in most parts of Canada then you will for driving around during daylight hours with no DRLs or low beam headlights on
Here's a page from the Nova Scotia government about the DRLs/headlight usage https://www.novascotia.ca/tran/roadsafety/daytimelights/DRL_Clarification.pdf

Vehicles registered as antiques are exempt from the law, so if his vehicles are old enough to be antiques, the law does not apply to those vehicles. Otherwise, it may not be a commonly enforced law or only really enforced if the day is slow and the local government wants some ticket revenue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Here's a page from the Nova Scotia government about the DRLs/headlight usage https://www.novascotia.ca/tran/roadsafety/daytimelights/DRL_Clarification.pdf

Vehicles registered as antiques are exempt from the law, so if his vehicles are old enough to be antiques, the law does not apply to those vehicles. Otherwise, it may not be a commonly enforced law or only really enforced if the day is slow and the local government wants some ticket revenue.
Yea his beater vehicles aren't antique's,lol. He's never even heard of the law,and he admits to being stopped a few times,hauling stuff to the dump for not securing the load,but no mountie has ever even looked at his headlights and whether they were on or not.I'm guessing the law is on the books but isn't really enforced during daylight hours,tint will get you hassled though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat