DEF expiration date?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Might be a silly question, but is there a shelf life to DRF fluid? I know its urea and DI water mix. Will they seperate and come out of suspension after period of time.

Reason asking, Local NAPA has it this month for $10 a box. Great price from the other Autozones / Schucks / auto shops. Is it worth buying up 3-5 boxes to save $4-5 ea?

In case your wondering, in the 4 weeks owning the truck i have gone through 4 tanks of fuel ( 35g) and 1 - 2.5g bottle of DEF. So it seems i will use 2.5g every month or so with current driving condition.

thx
jim

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It depends on the temperature it was stored in and whether or not it was in direct sunlight for any period of time. Below is a snip from my Cummins dealer website.

DEF is always much cheaper and fresher from the pump at a truck stop. Last time I got DEF at the pump it was $3 a gallon.

DEF Hadling storage and Shelf life.PNG

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I did see an expiration date on the DEF being sold at Murdochs. I don't see this on some other bottles. FYI, 2.5g of DEF at Walmart runs about $9

OP
OP
jvbuttex

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
ok, maybe i dont stock pile any, well maybe 1 extra. I dont pass the truck stop in my path, so getting at the pump isn't an option. thanks for input.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes it has a shelf life. I wouldn't stock pile any. I highly doubt you've gone through 2.5 gallons in a month unless you are towing heavy and often. The DEF gauge isn't really a gauge at all. When it shows half, it may be more or less. I don't touch it until it tells me I'm 250 miles to empty, then I fill it up from a pump if possible. On my longer trips (1800 miles towing), I'll have to fill up 3/4 of the way through the trip. Most of the time for local driving and local camping trips I can go 9 or 10 months without needing to refill.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't buy BLUE DEF $12.87 2.5 gallon
i go to Walmart & buy Supertech DEF $7,88 & tax 2.5 gallon jug

DEF has a shelf life of 1 year, IF it is not stored in a heated area, & kept away from Sun light

The date is displayed right in front of you, they don't hide it

Walmart goes through all their DEF rather fast, it does not have a chance to get old, but check the date for your self
For some reason the jugs always have a white dust like powder on them, i just grab the cleanest jugs

I have bought it at Walmart since mid 2016

It is made of synthetic *****, if you ever *** in it, expect the engine to shut down quickly

effing bot, worse than my grandmother used to be