Diablo Tuner vs Pedal Commander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UrWifesFavorite

Built to Grip & Ready to Rip
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
No problems, been using their product for years... The Trinity is phenomenal, the fact the tuner doesn’t need to stay plugged in to the OBD once tune is uploaded keeps Me committed...

Sent from UrMoms IPhone

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the PC in my 2017, have had it installed for over a year with no issues. Again it is not a tuner but it works week for getting rid of the pedal lag our electronically control throttles have. Even with my larger tires and wheels and pulling a trailer, in the “Sport +” mode my truck pulls hard off the line.

Like others I would like to have a tuner also, but after hearing of the issues some are having and the lack of 24 hr tech support I am holding off purchasing one.

Good luck in your decision.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did get it straight from DiabloSport the first time. The second time, I saved some money and went with Amazon. But, if the product still comes from the same manufacturer what should it matter? It wasn’t a knockoff tool. The fact that they have crappy hours for tech support for those of us that work on our own cars/trucks after hours instead of sending it to a shop to be done shouldn’t have to deal with having to take days off of work just to talk to someone and have their vehicle be a useless brick for however many hours and days. That’s my point. The tool can work and is made well but there are just too many things out there that can happen that tech support should be available most of the day instead of during 9-5 work hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean--I wished my plumber and electrician and cable guy all worked at night so I don't have to take time off work to be at the house when they come to fix stuff during "their" normal working hours. My point was that if you buy your parts from someone that has experience with the parts they may be able to answer a question or solve a problem without waiting to get ahold of the manufacture. Clearly you are unhappy with their product and their support--sell the tuner and call it a day.
Jay

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know what you mean--I wished my plumber and electrician and cable guy all worked at night so I don't have to take time off work to be at the house when they come to fix stuff during "their" normal working hours. My point was that if you buy your parts from someone that has experience with the parts they may be able to answer a question or solve a problem without waiting to get ahold of the manufacture. Clearly you are unhappy with their product and their support--sell the tuner and call it a day.
Jay

Oh I did already. Lol. If I go to a local tuner to get a custom tune installed while it’s on a dyno that uses the DiabloSport I’ll be fine with it. I’m just not risking it again. I’ve heard that Hypertechs headquarters is about 35 minutes from me so I may check into them at some point but I’m ok with how my truck is performing at the moment so I’m leaving well enough alone at the moment. I’m not saying DiabloSport is a bad company or isn’t worth the money for what it does at all! I just want everyone to know that the tuners aren’t failsafe is all.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read from time to time that some people have trouble with the Diablo. They are not well known for their customer service. I've been lucky--I've had one of their tuners for over 5 years and never had a problem, but I have a vendor that answers all my dumb questions and takes the time to walk me through any questions I might have. I'd be pissed if I had to replace parts as a result of something the Diablo did to the electronics. I hope you have better luck with another tuner. I have found that "custom tunes" are the way to go. Oh so much better than the canned tunes.
Jay

SNAKEBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
sold my Diablo also.
without some custom tune to address the Torque Management, not much improvement, still a dog off the line.
had a 2004 Rumble Bee before the T/M and it would roast tires.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Custom tunes are a world different than a canned tune. If you had a tune and still had acceleration problems maybe you should have looked at different gears, a different torque converter, a set of long tube headers and a custom tune instead of automatically blaming the tuner with their inadequate canned tunes.
Jay

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
mine is bone stock and impressed with the power of the hemi-but i have been curious about the tuners for awhile---but are you guys saying that if something goes to **** with the tuner then i am without my truck until I mail away the whole unit and wait for it to come back? I cant drive period? You cant be serious. If that is true then I will leave well enough alone.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just have the i3 and jay greene tunes. Day and night difference no tuner problems at all and jay is the man for customer service. Tune written and sent in hours all day an night he responds in minutes for the most part never more then an hour or so since I started messaging him and answers every question big or small without fail

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
mine is bone stock and impressed with the power of the hemi-but i have been curious about the tuners for awhile---but are you guys saying that if something goes to **** with the tuner then i am without my truck until I mail away the whole unit and wait for it to come back? I cant drive period? You cant be serious. If that is true then I will leave well enough alone.

That is very possible. They do try to get it back up and running for you. If you have a shop do it for you during the day they are more likely to be able to fix it than just you. Also, that may also depend on the tuner that you go with. This thread is about DiabloSport. They were able to help me save my truck from being a brick once over the phone, but 2 different trucks at 2 different times I had to ship my PCM to them and it’s basically a brick without the PCM. Not everyone has this problem and it doesn’t happen all the time. Just be aware that it can happen.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are worried about having your truck down buy your tuner and the extra pcm instead of the swap. Then in that very rare chance something happens to your pcm you can swap your stock one back in until the other is repaired

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My Hemi is fast enough that i can lay rubber and pass in an instant at highway speeds-what are you guys looking for-a 10sec quarter mile? I may just go to the pedal commander because its so easy to disable -no more horses,just a little more gallop! This is what this thread was about anyway. Tuners are for owners who are a little more tech savy than I am. Plus its the only vehicle I own and without it I am screwed! I am still impressed how fast I can go from 70kph-160kph.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Hemi is fast enough that i can lay rubber and pass in an instant at highway speeds-what are you guys looking for-a 10sec quarter mile? I may just go to the pedal commander because its so easy to disable -no more horses,just a little more gallop! This is what this thread was about anyway. Tuners are for owners who are a little more tech savy than I am. Plus its the only vehicle I own and without it I am screwed! I am still impressed how fast I can go from 70kph-160kph.
A tune from a proper tuner changes power response transmission and the complete drivability of the truck. But also understand some dont want to spend it

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have just the Diablo i2 for my 14 with Hemifever tunes I got from Sean and it had been great for awhile. Ive had the tuner for over 3 years in and in the last 6 months there have been nothing but problems with it. I have had to send the tuner itself back to Diablo twice in 3 months, countless amount of time on the phone with tech support, and 2 days ago, I was in the process of returning the truck to stock before I brought the truck in for a service appointment, and my PCM locked up. My truck is sitting in the driveway useless until they send the PCM and tuner back. Pain the ass and not worth the trouble for me anymore. When I get the PCM back from Diablo, I'm done with that tuner.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Question- I was wondering if there is anyone that has used the Diablo tuner for more than a year? If so have you had any problems?

I was thinking of purchasing but I am hesitant to play with the settings of my pcm.

Question- I wanted to know if anyone has had this installed ( Pedal Commander ) for more than a year? If so have you had any regrets or problems.

I can afford one or the other but not both. Just spent 2k on breaks, new manifold and bolt extraction K&N CAI and flow master muffler. Which purchase would you guys do over? The Pedal Commander or Diablo tuner if you could only afford one? Thanks for your input in advance

LOL, BRAKES NOT "breaks"

LOBO_1953

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the PC for over a year now..
My 2017 with 87mm TB, K&N CAI, and Flowmasters does very well with no major impact on fuel efficiency. IMO, the PC is one of the most efficient plug and ply devices that you can get without having to utilize a tuner. It will give you a marked response increase that mimics HP performance. I believe that you will enjoy it. As said by others, you can always upgrade to a tuner at a later time.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have just the Diablo i2 for my 14 with Hemifever tunes I got from Sean and it had been great for awhile. Ive had the tuner for over 3 years in and in the last 6 months there have been nothing but problems with it. I have had to send the tuner itself back to Diablo twice in 3 months, countless amount of time on the phone with tech support, and 2 days ago, I was in the process of returning the truck to stock before I brought the truck in for a service appointment, and my PCM locked up. My truck is sitting in the driveway useless until they send the PCM and tuner back. Pain the ass and not worth the trouble for me anymore. When I get the PCM back from Diablo, I'm done with that tuner.
Thanks for the honest response CHAP-Im sure there are lots of owners who love their tuners and have had no issues-but ive heard of plenty who have to go through alot of processes and phone calls etc while their brick of a truck sits in the driveway. Some of us cant afford to be without it for even a day. I still think its pretty dam powerful and a pedal commander will probably be my best bet or I may just leave well enough alone and know I wont have any pcm issues.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I'm convinced most of the handheld problems are user error/impatience when uploading/updating.

The bottom line is that you need to ask yourself if you want to be like every other factory performing Ram truck on the road, or set yourself apart from the crowd and take a leap into the custom tuner "nightmare". I'm not sure if my head is going to be snapped back or the rear end is heading into the other lane... Not to mention my fuel mileage is better than stock with a level/100lb wheels cruising.

It was a complete eye opener when I went from Diablo 93 to JG tune with I/H/E/180T, this being said with respect to Matt and the rest of the solid tuners on these 8 speeds. You'd really have to drive one of these tunes to understand how much FCA left on the table with this platform, but my FIL has a 392 Challenger and immediately asked what the 0-60 time was after I let him get behind the wheel(Just bought a 5th Gen, laughs in comparison).

We're not all here for a long time, so let's have a good time...

Last edited:

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
That was a great response Tim, I do agree with you. My truck definitely runs better and is more fun to drive when tuned, just lately there have been many problems. I work rotating shifts every week at my job, so I don't have much free time to be dealing the issues lately.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Imagine if you had a 2 barrel high compression engine from the 60s, say a mopar 383 2 barrel, and you put a 4 barrel on it, hotter spark box, lighter vacuum advance springs, and a shift kit in the transmission. That's what a custom tune feels like and then some, all for less than 300 bucks!

My ram went from grain truck to muscle car and even the mileage is better 1 mpg plus or minus. Transmission downshifts, so much better engine braking so less brakes. FCA left a lot on the table on a factory ram. Custom tune makes it feel responsive like it's a BMW or an SRT.

Other thing to think about with a tuner is that it serves as a diagnostic device or reading and calibrating codes. Also nice that it can do some basic programming like tire size change or electric fan adjustment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441