Diagnotics Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
1999 Ram 1500 Sport 5.9 (16 valve) :Dburnout.gif . Is there a good diagnostic tool that will scan these systems. IE: ABS module, Body computer, etc. ? I can retrieve the engine codes with my Tuner, but occasionally I get an abs light, or a seat belt light. I just want a way to retrieve those codes, a side from buying an Dodge tool.

When I bought the truck it was missing the seat belt timer, because the kid who had it liked ridiculously loud subs, and cut out the center seat without wondering what the little box was for. Took me several years to find a seat, and a timer. Worked great for a while, but now the seat belt light comes on while I'm driving and goes back off on its own a minute later. Yes I'm wearing the seat belt when it does that.
Any thoughts? It has the electric lock up belts in the seats.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would check the seat belt connection under the seat . Take apart and inspect for corrosion ! Clean and ass a TINY bit of Dielectric grease ! Make sure the bolts holding the seat belt to the floor are tight ! That's all I can think of, Hopefu;;y the gear heads chime in !, Please update what you finally find Thanks

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1999 Ram 1500 Sport 5.9 (16 valve) :DView attachment 198762 . Is there a good diagnostic tool that will scan these systems. IE: ABS module, Body computer, etc. ? I can retrieve the engine codes with my Tuner, but occasionally I get an abs light, or a seat belt light. I just want a way to retrieve those codes, a side from buying an Dodge tool.

When I bought the truck it was missing the seat belt timer, because the kid who had it liked ridiculously loud subs, and cut out the center seat without wondering what the little box was for. Took me several years to find a seat, and a timer. Worked great for a while, but now the seat belt light comes on while I'm driving and goes back off on its own a minute later. Yes I'm wearing the seat belt when it does that.
Any thoughts? It has the electric lock up belts in the seats.

Hi Bear. Definitely interested to hear what others believe is a good value for a diagnostic tool. I have em' for my BMWs, but, getting a '97 1500 4x4 and will want one for it :). Good luck.

Jay

vdemarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't alfaODB do all of the scanning and bi-directional control too?

OP
OP
Bear_Gibson

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Never heard of it, but I can tell you the scanners at harbor freight won't scan these systems.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never heard of it, but I can tell you the scanners at harbor freight won't scan these systems.

I have an ANCEL AD410 that I use on my BMWs and it does a ...very good job. I'm not sure what would happen if I plugged it into my RAM. As I recall, it prompts me for the type of BMW I'm connecting to, so it likely doesn't have the ...specifics on RAMs. Maybe I can download additional Dodge info? Or get another. Just know I want a scanner for when I get a "Check Engine Light" to know exactly what is going on, or more than just ...check your engine :)

OP
OP
Bear_Gibson

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have an ANCEL AD410 that I use on my BMWs and it does a ...very good job. I'm not sure what would happen if I plugged it into my RAM. As I recall, it prompts me for the type of BMW I'm connecting to, so it likely doesn't have the ...specifics on RAMs. Maybe I can download additional Dodge info? Or get another. Just know I want a scanner for when I get a "Check Engine Light" to know exactly what is going on, or more than just ...check your engine :)

I looked into that one and it states that it will read engine trouble codes, but not abs or any other systems. Thats what I'm after, I want to read other modules on the can bus circuit