Did I ruin my WCM with alfaobd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlippinJimmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all!
I'm thinking I royally screwed up. The truck is a 2011 Ram ST and it came with only 1 blade type key. No fobs. Not knowing RKE wasn't even installed I used Alfaobd to program 2 new fobiks from ebay(non oem). Everything appeared to go the way one would expect and each procedure was successful. Then , like a bone head , I misread the warning about not running the elv replaced or escl replaced commands if the hardware wasn't present as "THIS WILL DAMAGE THE WCM". I ran the commands and it reported it was successful. Immediately after neither new fob would start the truck. However the original blade key did, 3 times exactly , each time shutting off the engine within a few seconds. After the third time it won't even attempt to crank.
To remedy this I have tried removing all keys and reprogramming which had no effect. I have tried resetting the WIN, sending the secret key to the WIN again no change. Pouring through the dumps I can see the engine kill command is active and that the skim module or rather the ecu received an invalid key from the skim module. My guess is that is the problem I need to solve but I've read somany posts and tried to understand the module status outputs and learn what all the acronyms meant that at this point I feel like I'm chasing my tail. We even had a locksmith out with an autel im508 and a workhorse? device and wasn't able to fix the problem or even get any closer to the problem. I was very surprised AlfaObd was able to access tons of data and functions that his tools werent able to access. Since then I've tried resetting the modules by discvonnecting the battery for 2 plus hours and even leaving the oe key in the ignition turned to run for an hour plus while connected to a battery charger to keep the voltage up.
To make matters even worse this is a friends vehicle I offered to program a key for primarily just to try out my new obdlink mx+ and within 15 minutes made his truck not run anymore. I feel terrible as its the guys only transportation ...Hes even staying on the couch while we figure this out. I figure it was the least I could do.
Thanks for any and all suggestions I'm ready to try everything at this point short of towing it to the dealer. If it comes to that then so be it but if theres still other options that I can try I feel like I owe it to him to do so. Thanks again-

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was going to say the procedure for resetting the node lockout is to leave the fobik in the run position for 1 hour to reset the lockout timeout. However, since you deleted all the fobiks and tried to re-add them this probably will not work but worth a try.

Probably going to have to replace the WIN and re-initialize it. Not sure Alfa can do the re-initialization. Might be a dealer only deal.

Once you get the truck running, I would suggest taking a hammer to the OBDlink MX and deleting the Alfa app.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat