Diesel treatment or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmcgraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Diesel Treatment or Not? I have a 2018 3500, 4 wheel drive dually, diesel. Carry a camper with close to 5000 lbs. Some suggest diesel treatment others say No.! Thoughts, thanks

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This been hashed out on every forum I'm on. Everyone has their own opinions and what makes them feel fuzzy.
I ran EDT by Hotshots for a while. But then I saw a live YouTube of a guy I follow who interviewed two guys from Marvel Mystery Oil. They said the label will warn otherwise but, when added to the diesel fuel they saw improvement in lubricity and fuel mileage during testing. They said they can not recommend it due to the EPA said it increased pollution ppm. I forget the details.
So one day I saw the gallon container in Wallyworld and bought it. I definitely saw an increase in fuel efficiency, about 2 mpg. So I had my father try it in his 2018. Same results. We now both run it in our fuel.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Back when I ran diesels I would add Power Service to the fuel tank each fill up. Last diesel I owned was an eco diesel that I only had for 6 months. But the previous diesel was an 85 Chevy 1500 with the 6.2 NA engine. That thing ran for over 300k miles (with nothing more than an injection pump replacement at 170k) until I sold it to someone out of state. I'm a believer in that stuff.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
There was a lubricity study several years ago that showed Marvel Mystery Oil reduced lubricity. 2 cycle oil was actually one of the better and cheaper additives that worked.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Hvytrkmech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you’re driving a tier 4 emissions truck I would highly recommend you do not use marvelous mystery oil in the fuel. It will create scr and DPF issues. In my experience dealing with fleet trucks simply run an approved diesel additive during the winter months if you live in a cold climate.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If you’re driving a tier 4 emissions truck I would highly recommend you do not use marvelous mystery oil in the fuel. It will create scr and DPF issues. In my experience dealing with fleet trucks simply run an approved diesel additive during the winter months if you live in a cold climate.
I'll let you know when it happens. 48k miles half that has been on MMO. My father runs alot more than me with 138k on his. Neither one of us ever had any emission problems. Ever. Our trucks empty are just shy of 10k #s and we don't baby the trucks. I'll continue running it since I'm directly seeing positive results.
You're not going to convince me it will cause issues or self destruct.
But here we go again, the same rabbit hole everytime someone starts a thread about additives. It's as bad as Syn Oils.
I said what I had to say. Everyone have fun.

Hvytrkmech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll let you know when it happens. 48k miles half that has been on MMO. My father runs alot more than me with 138k on his. Neither one of us ever had any emission problems. Ever. Our trucks empty are just shy of 10k #s and we don't baby the trucks.
You're not going to convince me it will cause issues or self destruct.
But here we go again, the same rabbit hole everytime someone starts a thread about additives. It's as bad as Syn Oils.
I said what I had to say. Everyone have fun.
I’m not trying to convince you of anything. You can run whatever you like in your fuel. It’s your truck so ultimately I could not care any less.

I said what I had to say. Eye roll and laughing.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I agree, just run an additive in the winter months up north. Howes is the
most popular one around here, in all diesels, from trucks to tractors.

Otherwise you may be just wasting your money........you know the story about
a fool and his money.......:)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have a close friend that has a 3500 common rail and swears by Stanadyne diesel fuel additive.
My $0.02 on the matter, FWIW ;)
I'm just a HEMI guy and use premium fuel, amongst other predictive and preventative maintenance measures to ensure longevity and happy motoring :)

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Diesel Treatment or Not? I have a 2018 3500, 4 wheel drive dually, diesel. Carry a camper with close to 5000 lbs. Some suggest diesel treatment others say No.! Thoughts, thanks
In my current 2022 2500 CTD I use 1-2 oz Opti Lube Boost ( https://opti-lube.com/opti-lube-boo...thout-accessories-treats-up-to-2-560-gallons/) in ever tank, IMHO it works based on mpg with and without addtive, during the colder temps will treat the fuel with anti gel when temps are expected to go below 36 degrees because in Portland metro area by law all retail diesel is mixed with a minimum of 5% Bio, in my old 2006 5.9 I could use almost anything I wanted with out worry from 2 cycle oil to Howes, Power Service, Lucas as it had no DPF or EGR to worry about clogging up...

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the truck is going to sit a while between uses, and mine does, I'll put some Howe's in. Learned that lesson with our diesel pusher. Old, untreated diesel can get pretty ugly. Otherwise, I don't bother.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used to run Power Service Diesel Kleen in my diesels. I noticed less injector noise after a few tanks with the PSDK in it. This was more prevalent in my Powerstroke than my Cummins but there was still a noticeable difference. I didn't run any additives in my last 2016 6.7 and to be honest, the DPF still failed at almost the exact same mileage as my previous 6.7. Both made it within 2k miles of each other (~120k) when the DPF failed.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
152K and no additives, zero issues... If it helps you sleep better at night use it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, the thread got interesting.

I think, from a facet of common sense, the question is, what are you trying to accomplish with a diesel fuel additive?

I have two diesel vehicles and several pieces of land maintenance equipment that are diesel. For the off-road equipment, I treat the fuel with an anti-gell product purchased in the summer because stations around me do not announce when they switch over to winter diesel. I also bulk buy my off-road diesel so I could have July purchased fuel still being used in December.

For the vehicles, I used an anti-gell product in fall season fuel purchases for the same reasons as above but in addition, and all year long, I use a product that adds lubricity and ups the cetane of the fuel. While the Cummins is fine without added lubricity (CP3 high-pressure fuel pump) I'm more concerned with the ECODiesel and the CP4 pump. CP4 pump failures are a low percentage but if adding lubricity to the fuel can eliminate or hold off failure I'm for it.

Not all states regulate the level of cetane in diesel fuel and my state, Michigan, is one of them. My owner's manual suggests a cetane level of 50 but I've heard that Michigan diesel is in the upper forties. I have no way of verifying this information. Have I seen a difference in the two trucks before I started using an additive versus now, no, nothing I can feel. The MPG change, if any, wasn't noticed.

Several additives claim additional fuel mileage but I've never seen an independent study comparing the various additives versus results.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I run Power Service Diesel Kleen in mine.

IdahoDen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m not trying to convince you of anything. You can run whatever you like in your fuel. It’s your truck so ultimately I could not care any less.

I said what I had to say. Eye roll and laughing.
I'm a firm believer that you do not try to out do the design of the system. Living in SE Idaho where we have pretty cold winter conditions, the only treatment I use is Power Services anti-gelling treatment which is a staple out here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat