difficulty filling fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012, 127k miles on it and this happened to me up in Maine on vacation.. couldn't fill the tank. Was able to get back to MA with the gas I had in the tank and brought it to a shop.. was worried they were going to say it was the vent valve which means new tank... they said the vent tube on the filler neck had ice in it.. "condensation must have frozen" they just charged me 1 hour of labor. They did a pressure test on the tank, and also a leak test with no issue.

I've gone to Maine at least 30 times, in the winter.. never had this issue. We did go from 60 to 20 degrees one day but that is the weirdest issue I've ever had.

Anyone else ever have this one?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Low temps may only be making the problem more pronounced, and not the cause of the problem. Many 5th gen owners have had this issue. When they could get a dealer to actually fix the problem it usually eventually turned out the be the roll over valve, which requires a tank replacement. I believe I read there is even a TSB for this. They apparently redesigned the roll over valve on the newer tanks. I have no direct experience with this fix. I'm just reporting what I've read in this and other forums.
Yes the new tanks, at least the 26 gallon tank, have a different rollover valve. I just replaced my 2018 tank with the latest model tank available, part 68323675AC. Comparing the old tank rollover valve to the new one, the old was very small and narrow positioned in the center of the tank inlet. The new tank rollover is much larger and takes up the entire opening of the tank inlet. Hopefully this revision works better than the old. My original tank is stamped made in Canada and the new tank is made in Erie, PA. Dealer wanted $1600 to replace everything from the gas cap to the purge solenoid in the engine compartment even though the 2018’s have the new style filler necks. I did everything the dealer listed in their estimate for less than $500 and about 5-6 hours of work using basic tools and no prior experience. It works perfectly now.

dingo7285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure if its a "Cold " thing as I live in California and Cold to me is 50*. I have this problem all the time, but have found some gas stations are better ( or worse ) then others. I have learned to Avoid Cheveron stations with a passion, as their nozzles not only click off constantly, but I get the nozzle gets stuck and then I look like a maniac Pulling and jerking around to get the ##$#@# Nozzle out of the truck. That defective filler tube which needs to be Recalled!! Why there are recalls for the 3 people that got Ram Logos shot into their face with the Airbag, and I'm pulling with all my strength a metal object in a metal tube with Gas Fumes everywhere!!!

Big Wayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if the cold affects it could people try parking in in a warm area for 12-15 hours. It solved it for me
I live in Phoenix and the problem persists Year round now. Extreme heat doesn’t fix it.

eepowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the forum, but filled my tank this weekend and had that happen as well. Tried 3 different pumps at an Exxon in Texas and it did it at all 3. I left and went down the street to a QuikTrip and had no issues. May want to try it again at a different station.

Hotdog26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque5.7
went to the dealer today to get them to fix the gas filling issue under warranty(13700 miles) they claim there is no fix told me to wait for a recall
I called Ramcare, I am witing to hear back from them

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this happen once recently and remembered this thread. Pulling the nozzle out a bit fixed it in this instance, but I wondered, would it work to stick a big funnel in there and pump gas slowly into the funnel if one were in a remote area and this happened?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Had a similar issue on my 2012 2500 in 2018
Repair shop replaced a check valve in the EVAP system and it fixed it for a couple of fillups before it started doing it again.
I got under the truck and found a kinked line from the gas tank to the EVAP canister
I straightened the line and shortened it a few inches and haven't had the issue come back

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2008 Escape Hybrid that filled very slowly. I took it into the dealer who had a tech work on it with no improvement. I took it back and requested a mechanic who I personally knew and they said he normally didn't work on hybrids but he would assign my friend and a hybrid mechanic to both work on my issue. They found that the filler tube (welded to tank) had gotten bent on installation so they ordered me a new gas tank. Problem solved.