Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2020 ram 1500 Limited was delivered last Thursday. I'm generally delighted with my purchase except for the tonneau cover. For $550 MSRP I expected much better than this.

I guess I should've investigated more but I actually expected a hard surface and this is a cheesy fabric. But the worst thing is that as I was going down a local highway at no more than 50 mph I happened to glance back in the rear view mirror and the entire surface of the cover was fluttering violently. Is this common?

If it Is, I don't want it. When I see all of that violent fluttering I wonder how long before it tears up and whether the aerodynamics are compromising my fuel economy. speaking of aerodynamics, the four corner air suspension has something called the "AERO mode". this apparently adjusts the attitude of the vehicle in order to achieve efficient aerodynamics. I wonder if there is any chance this is directing air from underneath the vehicle up through the pickup bed? Maybe the aerodynamic mode has created a vehicle attitude that the tonneau cover is unable to handle? This fluttering was extreme and I absolutely will not watch this action every time I look out my rear view mirror. All four clamps were engaged and the tonneau cover was properly situated in the bed (no gap).

I will update this thread with a short video the next time the wife and I are out on the highway.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
my 2020 ram 1500 Limited was delivered last Thursday. I'm generally delighted with my purchase except for the tonneau cover. For $550 MSRP I expected much better than this.

I guess I should've investigated more but I actually expected a hard surface and this is a cheesy fabric. But the worst thing is that as I was going down a local highway at no more than 50 mph I happened to glance back in the rear view mirror and the entire surface of the cover was fluttering violently. Is this common?

If it Is, I don't want it. When I see all of that violent fluttering I wonder how long before it tears up and whether the aerodynamics are compromising my fuel economy. speaking of aerodynamics, the four corner air suspension has something called the "AERO mode". this apparently adjusts the attitude of the vehicle in order to achieve efficient aerodynamics. I wonder if there is any chance this is directing air from underneath the vehicle up through the pickup bed? Maybe the aerodynamic mode has created a vehicle attitude that the tonneau cover is unable to handle? This fluttering was extreme and I absolutely will not watch this action every time I look out my rear view mirror. All four clamps were engaged and the tonneau cover was properly situated in the bed (no gap).

I will update this thread with a short video the next time the wife and I are out on the highway.
Sorry that you are experiencing this disappointment but as the old sayings go ”you get what you pay for” and “buyer beware”. A good hard tonneau will range upwards of $1,000.00 depending on what type fits your personal needs i.e. folding, roll up, solid.

I personally prefer the Undercover brand tonneaus. On my third one now and will go back there again for my next truck.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
For price and leak resistance you can't beat the Tonnopro Hard folding cover. Hard aluminum under a vinyl fabric. The one on my 19 Laramie was leak free except around the tailgate which is hard to totally eliminate.

It's for sale as I bought an Undercover Armorflex as I liked the looks of the flush mount cover. The Armorflex has been great but it took a few trips through the local high pressure carwash to get it leak free. I think the leaks had more to do with the fact I have a factory plastic liner than the cover. The Tonnopro sets on top of the rails and is well gasketed whereas the Armorflex sets inside with more areas to leak.

Both leaked slightly around the tailgate and that's fine with me as the rest of the bed is dry.

OP
OP
A

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Elsewhere I've asked the question whether a topper can really improve gas mileage - some say directing air flow up and over the camper can make a big difference. If so I might try to dispose of the tonneau and put on a topper. Any opinions?

I did see a youtube where "flapping" was reduced or eliminated by tucking the front crease and tab down into the bed where it had been flat catching wind and flapping I guess. This was not factory but makes me think there might be a problem where wind is leaking under the front edge of the cover. Have to check that I guess...

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You want a Bak-Flip MX4 auto anything.com

Ram on the Ridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an aftermarket tri fold soft cover on mine, the dealer was too expensive. It flutters on the highway as well. I wonder how long it will last. You have to clear the ice and snow off of it, or it flies off when the cover flutters.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Elsewhere I've asked the question whether a topper can really improve gas mileage - some say directing air flow up and over the camper can make a big difference. If so I might try to dispose of the tonneau and put on a topper. Any opinions?

I did see a youtube where "flapping" was reduced or eliminated by tucking the front crease and tab down into the bed where it had been flat catching wind and flapping I guess. This was not factory but makes me think there might be a problem where wind is leaking under the front edge of the cover. Have to check that I guess...

A search here, other forums and the net of tonneau effects on fuel mileage will generally result in a projected savings of none, nope, nada, zip, zero, etc.

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tonneau's don't do a thing for fuel mileage, trucks are designed in a way that air coming off the top of the cab swirls towards the top of the tailgate, the cover is flapping because there's a large negative pressure area above it.

Trucks are designed for the best/least drag they can get from the factory (ford wanted to include a hard tonneau with a small spoiler when they started selling the ecoboost's because it gave them another mpg or two but something about the epa not allowing it during testing so they gave up), that's why running with the tailgate down or off actually hurts mpg.

A camper shell on the other hand would move the air from hitting the middle of the front of a trailer up towards the top of it, that imho would help a bit, at worst it'd help keep the bugs off lol

8bfa10d7fd9c7639470f0adea02a263b.jpg

You can see the extra turbulence with the tailgate down, that equals drag
tailgates-660-1.jpg

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
tldr; buy a hard tonneau if the flapping bugs you enough to spend the money, or a camper shell lol

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
For price and leak resistance you can't beat the Tonnopro Hard folding cover. Hard aluminum under a vinyl fabric. The one on my 19 Laramie was leak free except around the tailgate which is hard to totally eliminate.

It's for sale as I bought an Undercover Armorflex as I liked the looks of the flush mount cover. The Armorflex has been great but it took a few trips through the local high pressure carwash to get it leak free. I think the leaks had more to do with the fact I have a factory plastic liner than the cover. The Tonnopro sets on top of the rails and is well gasketed whereas the Armorflex sets inside with more areas to leak.

Both leaked slightly around the tailgate and that's fine with me as the rest of the bed is dry.
On my third undercover. First was a Undercover Classic on a 2003 SLT installed when I bought the truck new. Owned the truck 16 years. Rarely took the cover off. Sold the truck this past November. Countless car washes. Never a drop inside the bed. Put a Undercover Elite on both my 2017 and now my 2019. No leaks and will be shocked if either one ever does. Granted, they sit on top of the bed rails and not everyone likes that. If you want one inside the rails, your gonna have to live with some leakage.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A camper shell on the other hand would move the air from hitting the middle of the front of a trailer up towards the top of it, that imho would help a bit, at worst it'd help keep the bugs off lol

I always wonder with the toppers, even if it improves airflow/aerodynamics a little, does it help enough to offset the additional weight of the topper? Seems like a wash at best, but I've never had one so I can't say for sure.

To the original post, I've been running the cheaper tyger tri fold for my last 3 trucks (have bought 2 over the 3 trucks (had 2 6.5' beds and now the short 5.7')) and don't notice any crazy fluttering at any speeds, or any evidence of them wearing out faster due to such action. These covers around only around $200 I think, so I wouldn't be happy with that overpriced sounding mopar cover.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JOECO: I never really concerned myself with MPG, with/without cover etc, as I figure if U go and buy a Hemi, MPG should not be the 1st concern, lmao, all IMHO........

The HARD factory tonneau cover (fiberglass) painted to vehicle colors "installed" is appx $1733.00, ask me how I know, LOL>

AGAIN, depends upon yer needs and truck usage

IMG_0862.JPG

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JOECO: I never really concerned myself with MPG, with/without cover etc, as I figure if U go and buy a Hemi, MPG should not be the 1st concern, lmao, all IMHO........

The HARD factory tonneau cover (fiberglass) painted to vehicle colors "installed" is appx $1733.00, ask me how I know, LOL>

AGAIN, depends upon yer needs and truck usage

View attachment 194686

Oh I'm with ya turkey, MPG has never been anything I pay attention to either...It's probably not great with the style of driving I have, but still probably the best out of any vehicle I've ever owned. I just was questioning the mpg thing out of curiosity. As for the covers and cost, I like some of the fancier low profile covers but I just don't really need them so I've gone with the cheap old reliable that have been good to me.

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always wonder with the toppers, even if it improves airflow/aerodynamics a little, does it help enough to offset the additional weight of the topper? Seems like a wash at best, but I've never had one so I can't say for sure.

To the original post, I've been running the cheaper tyger tri fold for my last 3 trucks (have bought 2 over the 3 trucks (had 2 6.5' beds and now the short 5.7')) and don't notice any crazy fluttering at any speeds, or any evidence of them wearing out faster due to such action. These covers around only around $200 I think, so I wouldn't be happy with that overpriced sounding mopar cover.
There was a test done with a regular cab SRT-10 and there was basically no difference between a fiberglass tonneau cover and a camper shell. They figured the extra weight probably offset any improvement.

Although they were testing times and top speed at a track not real world MPG.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had a Extang Trifecta Tonneau soft cover on my 2006 Dodge 1500 Ram for many years. Traveled back and forth to Florida every winter at speeds up to 80 MPH, been through touch-less car washes with jet air drying without any issues. Traded my 2006 in for my 2019 with that cover still on it with no issues. Purchased a new Extang Trifecta Tonneau soft cover for my 2019, still driving back and forth to Florida at speeds up to 80, sometimes 85 MPH, and through touch-less car washes with jet driers and no issues. Always used Pro-Tex protector spray on my covers. Just make sure its aligned correctly and is tight tight tight on the rail. Only issue I had with the cover is with the automatic tail gate drop. Sometimes the gate wouldn't drop but with some adjustment it works just fine. Oh, payed $350.00 from Tonneau.
Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau Cover

Last edited:

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
My wife's 2014 came with the factory soft trifold. Let me just say it does not hold up well over time. Not only that, but it is a pain to remove and re-install. Much happier since we went with a rollup hard cover.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I had a 2002 RAM with a dealer-ordered 4-section hard folding cover, about $800, loved it. Now I have a 3-section aftermarket (<$600), hate it. Two major problems: If I forget to "latch" it when folded and get up to about 65 mph, the wind unfolds it with a BANG, damaging the section frames and hinges. This has happened more than once, the first time when it was a couple weeks old. Also, it covers so much of the front of the bed (1/3) when folded that accessing anything there is very difficult, even with my wheel-to-wheel step rails. I am average size and the arms just aren't long enough.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know if we can help you upgrade to a better cover. We have many options depending on your needs and budget. Plus we have GREAT pricing on bed covers. I think the Lomax would be a great option for you. Message me for more info and pricing

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Amazon has the undercover ultraflex going for 850, I jumped on it. Sorry Nick, I was going to contact you but time went by and I forgot to!!