Doing an oil change and....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How common is the trans oil pan to start rotting like this.... it sounds solid when I knock on it... but that flaking and layers of rust have me worried abit.... on the 68rfe is there a better oil pan to go with (like an aluminum or stainless one?)
fc5f86197965fe2f7a60c62e135876bc.jpgb05128a13ef2a2e2dd56165646bcc36c.jpgdaab47d6fb225c4f8e0cfd09478a000b.jpg

Didn’t realize some pics came out blurry, can take a few more when I get home and finish my oil change (had to run my father for blood work the hospital needs ASAP)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm no expert, but that doesnt look normal. You should definitely swap pans and fluids asap.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm no expert, but that doesnt look normal. You should definitely swap pans and fluids asap.

Sad part is, trans fluid only has 7-8k on it, it was dropped at the dealer when the rtv pan gasket failed and started leaking trans fluid.... I didn’t notice this back in May when I was under the truck doing the transfer case, diff fluids, and fuel filters

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sad part is, trans fluid only has 7-8k on it, it was dropped at the dealer when the rtv pan gasket failed and started leaking trans fluid.... I didn’t notice this back in May when I was under the truck doing the transfer case, diff fluids, and fuel filters

Damn, thats rough. Sorry to hear about the troubles.
Again, i am no expert, I know next to nothing, you should definitely get some more experienced opinions.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Damn, thats rough. Sorry to hear about the troubles.
Again, i am no expert, I know next to nothing, you should definitely get some more experienced opinions.

I’m afraid to flake the flakey off and create a leak [emoji23], I’m looking at a couple aftermarket pans, which have a drain plug in them also. $275-350 seems to be the going rate, plus fluid, it’s going to have to wait till mid November, yours truly has been out of work since June 27th from having multiple hernia surgeries, and I don’t return till 10/14... so I’ve just been farting around with stuff to pass time, when I seen this, so I don’t have $400 laying around to buy a pan and couple gallons of atf to do it, luckily the truck will be sitting till November as I have a work car I drive around in the nicer months to keep the miles off the truck and save them for going snowmobiling

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
wire brush the pan or even a wire wheel on a drill and paint it with high heat paint. Looks like the paint is the problem would take a lot to make a hole in that pan from rust.

It’s got some flake. I just don’t know how deep it goes into the pan, I wonder if the dealer dropped the pan when they redid the gasket and this is the outcome

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
some paint to achieve the correct color they want add iron ore products into the paint, so this could be all the rust your getting again just wire brush the best you can and mask off around it and spray the pan call it a day

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It’s got some flake. I just don’t know how deep it goes into the pan, I wonder if the dealer dropped the pan when they redid the gasket and this is the outcome

Yeah it makes ya wonder if they scrapped it on something. A 2016 shouldn't have that much rust on it... even with you living in NY.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah it makes ya wonder if they scrapped it on something. A 2016 shouldn't have that much rust on it... even with you living in NY.

And it’s been covered in oil for half it’s life [emoji23]

Think I’m gonna flake some off later, and touch it up with some engine block paint, and over the winter get an aluminum deep sump pan, and filters. And once it’s spring put new filters in it, and a new pan

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
It did look bad but sometimes close-up pics exaggerate the severity. Being on the "cheap" side I agree with the guys who say clean it up and paint it. What if a leak does open up? It will be slow at first and surely you would see the drops on the concrete. A few drops make a big circle is what my grandfather used to say, and he started out working on Model T's. If it really bothers you, check junk yards or ebay for a used pan, much cheaper and condition will be evident in pictures. Paint it good before installing. Sometimes a transmission will be scrapped due to wreck or replacement so the pan on the old trans will be in perfectly good shape.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
How common is the trans oil pan to start rotting like this.... it sounds solid when I knock on it... but that flaking and layers of rust have me worried abit.... on the 68rfe is there a better oil pan to go with (like an aluminum or stainless one?)

Didn’t realize some pics came out blurry, can take a few more when I get home and finish my oil change (had to run my father for blood work the hospital needs ASAP)

RANT...
That looks typical of this generations rust level. Not saying it is right, just typical.

The entire underneath of my 2015 is rusting. I can't keep up with it. Not sure what they use as rust mitigation but it ain't work. I might drive my truck 2 or 3 times during the winter as this is strictly a tow vehicle, so basically mine is rusting just sitting in my driveway.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
RANT...
That looks typical of this generations rust level. Not saying it is right, just typical.

The entire underneath of my 2015 is rusting. I can't keep up with it. Not sure what they use as rust mitigation but it ain't work. I might drive my truck 2 or 3 times during the winter as this is strictly a tow vehicle, so basically mine is rusting just sitting in my driveway.

Think being it’s 2019 (or in this case 2015/16) that we could figure out how to stop **** from rusting away

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Think being it’s 2019 (or in this case 2015/16) that we could figure out how to stop **** from rusting away

The manufacturer's only want to make it through the corrosion warranty and could care less how long it lasts after that. Same with other parts too. Profits and sales period.

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Take it in to service and see what they say so it’s documented at least should a leak or worse happens !

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's only $60.00 at Rock Auto!

I’m hoping to make the winter on this one, and then in the spring replace it, don’t really have time right now to mess with it, and in the spring I plan on doing the trans filters anyways, I’m gonna be under it at some point tomorrow or Friday and between trying to grease that damn front driveshaft again, and gonna scuff it up some and throw a coat of paint on it for now. Just spent 2 afternoons waxing the truck and getting it ready for winter (makes it easier to wash the crap off it)
17ad22a381754e01f590d12774d92fd3.jpg