Driving in entry/exit mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wim Desmet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question : I have a RAM 2018 with stock air suspension. I like the height of the car when he is in entry/exit mode. As you know, it levels when you drive away. Is there a way too stay in entry/exit mode when driving ? And if there is, can it cause damage to the suspension ? I know there is a way to remove the fuse but you will get constantly the error on your dash.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a '16 Rebel owner, I'm sure the issue here is suspension travel...while you could, in theory, drive on most paved surfaces in "lowrider" mode, the first real pothole might make things a little uncomfortable (at a minimum)!

So are you saying you've got nothing but smooth roads in Belgium? I'd leave it in Normal while driving...after all, it's a truck, not a Porsche!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
Wim Desmet

Wim Desmet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No we haven't smooth roads everywhere, but I would like to choose in what i'm driving, I like low cars/trucks. It isn't a Porsche , i know , but that doesn't mean I have to drive like one :)
next to that , do you know anything to help me out ?

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I brought the question of riding in Offroad 1 or 2 to my dealership, after looking through manuals and brochures, asking different people at the dealership, finally got a valid answer from a mechanic. One you change the driving mode, Entry/Exit, Off Road 1/2 you are changing the camber on your front end which will cause uneven wear on your tires. Makes sense to me as if you are in the cab and adjust the ride height, you can see the steering wheel move slightly. I wouldn't recommend it, because it would cause undo stress on the suspension at Entry/Exit height. Think of the air bags like your vertebrae disc, its a cushion, if it is not there you are in pain.

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I brought the question of riding in Offroad 1 or 2 to my dealership, after looking through manuals and brochures, asking different people at the dealership, finally got a valid answer from a mechanic. One you change the driving mode, Entry/Exit, Off Road 1/2 you are changing the camber on your front end which will cause uneven wear on your tires. Makes sense to me as if you are in the cab and adjust the ride height, you can see the steering wheel move slightly. I wouldn't recommend it, because it would cause undo stress on the suspension at Entry/Exit height. Think of the air bags like your vertebrae disc, its a cushion, if it is not there you are in pain.

Good information right here. That is why you have to get a front end alignment when you lower a truck. All the geometry is different from the stock configuration.

OP
OP
Wim Desmet

Wim Desmet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, thank you for the info, next to that , le's say I do a wheelalignement in enrty/exit mode, it would work.
But how to stay there... still the question...

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I think they would have called it Low Rider mode if it was meant to be used as a driving position for the suspension. Entry/Exit says it all.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Question : I have a RAM 2018 with stock air suspension. I like the height of the car when he is in entry/exit mode. As you know, it levels when you drive away. Is there a way too stay in entry/exit mode when driving ? And if there is, can it cause damage to the suspension ? I know there is a way to remove the fuse but you will get constantly the error on your dash.
You can get adjustable links to trick it into thinking it's higher so it airs down. Could set it so entry/exit is normal. I tried the ones from revel for raising, but didn't like the ride aired up. (Too bumpy). They make ones for lowering as well and a couple members have made their own cheaper. I think there's another company called adjustable air ride that makes them as well.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Problem with riding in entry/exit is that you will be siting on the bump stops. That will give a horrible ride and very unsafe during maneuvering. There are companies that make different links for the air suspension to lower the truck or to raise the front to remove rake. Maybe you should consider going that route. Just make sure you get an alignment once you install the new links.

OP
OP
Wim Desmet

Wim Desmet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info, I have looked up the company site, interesting but expensive for just a couple of arms

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheaper to lower with adjustable arms than to static drop a coil sprung truck. Last I looked up the adjustable arms they were $299 or 399 maybe at most.. It cost me $1200 to static drop my coil truck.

Since the links are adjustable, you can "adjust" them to a comfortable ride. I don't know much about the OE air struts on these trucks, but I doubt its 100% bottomed out on entry/exit. Worst case, you lower it to where you like, and what is comfortable to drive in. Then line the front end up. There might be a limit on the caster angle, but you should be able to get close to OE ... Just be diligent on your tire rotations and you'll be fine.

Never ask a "general mechanic" at a dealer questions about modifications.. Most of them start to tear up and get upset, they'll tell you it destroys everything etc etc ... While some parts may no longer be covered under warranty, most of the truck will be fine, and in the case of adjustable arms.. they can be swapped out quick before visiting the dealer.

oldharleyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
CFT Performance sell the adjustable links for about $70US or so and are good quality. They are easy to adjust, and as previously mentioned in the thread if you do a significant lift or lower you will need to get an alignment

Jhubbard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to leave it in any mode couldn't you set it to the mode you want it in and pull the fuse? That would then mean you can adjust it without putting a fuse back in but it would accomplish what you're wanting in the way of driving in entry/exit. The other solution would be to create some sort of inline cutoff to the fuse so you could press a button and "remove" the fuse by switching the disconnect.

I know people with Rebel's pull the fuse in offroad mode to keep it there, I think it throws a "Service Air Suspension" message though

Mickey1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I accidentally found out that if you lower the suspension via the FOB, the truck will stay at entry/ exit mode at all times, any speed

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I accidentally found out that if you lower the suspension via the FOB, the truck will stay at entry/ exit mode at all times, any speed
That should not be the case. Mine raises back up automatically no matter how it gets in entry/exit.

OP
OP
Wim Desmet

Wim Desmet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe not but I am still curious what Mickey means ....

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's a button on the fob you press twice to lower the truck before you get in it. It's the middle left. Using it to lower the truck has the same effect as using the dash button.15639038768068500111206110944499.jpg

OP
OP
Wim Desmet

Wim Desmet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes i know that but the truck doesn't stay low when you drive away