Dual Tail Pipe Kit???? Or Go to Muffler Shop???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys.... very much a newbie when it comes to getting exhaust fixed. A little history about the truck is that is a 2015 express 1500 5.7. I bought it a year old in 2016 with 9k miles and it has been very well cared for since then. Since I've owned the truck I noticed the previous owner had a stainless Borla muffler installed. The problem is I noticed I heard/felt the exhaust almost under the truck and knew right away that there was a leak. Its more than a leak. Both muffler exit welds are broke off and the tail pipes were basically just thankfully hanging on the rubber mounts. The tail pipes were completely rotted off. My question is..... there a pipe kit for a specific application here that I can buy and have a shop weld it back together good as new? Or do I take it to a shop and they bend new pipes for the truck?

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are the pics of what was back there lol..... I knew this day was coming because the one pipe started to break off about 6 months ago .... I wrapped the pipe and clamped it.... it worked for a little bit

1E08E7DC-14EF-429B-A909-FBE0E1A17C07.png

44E08D79-0951-43E2-89F4-AE53B42BCFC3.jpeg

2E732E99-5FE6-4E89-AED3-441A8C556D73.jpeg

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To my eyes it appears that your muffler is what rusted away ,your tailpipes are stainless steel and appear to be in excellent condition except for where the old plane steel muffler rotted away . Get a new muffler and a couple pieces of pipe and reinstall what you have.your tail pipes do not need to be replaced. You may be able to buy a longer muffler and not even have to get pipe. Save yourself some money ,don’t waste it on a complete cat back when it certainly isn’t needed. Sorry for the long rant . But I should have chosen #2 take your pipes with you. A quality shop will fix it right up.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you provide a pic of the muffler showing the inlet and dual outlet connections to the rest of the exhaust?

If it is only the muffler the rotted you can go with a muffler kit. We have some options listed here
https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html

if you want to replace it all you can do a full catback. which then we can discuss options. Message me if you would like a quote on anything

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you provide a pic of the muffler showing the inlet and dual outlet connections to the rest of the exhaust?

If it is only the muffler the rotted you can go with a muffler kit. We have some options listed here
https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html

if you want to replace it all you can do a full catback. which then we can discuss options. Message me if you would like a quote on anything
Nick if I went the muffler delete route.... am I going to lose hp because of lack of back pressure? Just a thought...... and yes I’ll take better pictures in the morning

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys thanks for your help I’m now understanding that the muffler included their exit pipes and that’s what rotted thanks for bringing that to light for me .... now feeling more confident in what I actually need...... so I’ll either buy nicks muffler delete system unless I’ll loose hp from lack of back pressure or I’ll have to start listening to different mufflers to figure out what sounds good..... it’s my bday this week maybe I’ll buy myself a air box for her to breath a little better too!!!! Lol 6 more months she’s paid off with probably less than 60k I’m so excited lol

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler delete and 5" tips will be loudest option, as long as you like it inside too. :)

View media item 30411View media item 30409
Lol probably will still barely hear the exhaust with a delete with kickstart my heart blastin’ and tryin to run from the ladies trying to damage this baby cosmetically by grinding all over my truck ...... lololol completely kidding ..... but anyways I like the delete but not if it’s gonna take some horses away

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I haven't felt any difference in the get up & go since switching from a Flowmaster 50 to no muffler. Just setting off way more car alarms as I drive by now. :D

ps: I prefer Snortin' Whiskey by Pat Travers :Rock on:

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't felt any difference in the get up & go since switching from a Flowmaster 50 to no muffler. Just setting off way more car alarms as I drive by now. :D

ps: I prefer Snortin' Whiskey by Pat Travers :Rock on:
Haha did we just become best friends!?!?.... wait so you are telling me not only can I set off alarms with my Indian scout bobber with my combat exhaust...... I’ll be able to do it in the truck too? .....#sold

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
....... and you are from Jersey? Lol ocean county here

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Haha did we just become best friends!?!?.... wait so you are telling me not only can I set off alarms with my Indian scout bobber with my combat exhaust...... I’ll be able to do it in the truck too? .....#sold
:D
Back in my youth the open shorties on the Sportster did it all the time!
Almost 65 years of survival in Elizabeth.
:eek::biggun:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick if I went the muffler delete route.... am I going to lose hp because of lack of back pressure? Just a thought...... and yes I’ll take better pictures in the morning

Back pressure will not an issue. The y pipe and cats will create more than enough back pressure

PbnJdams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
There really isnt a right answer here without seeing what you are working with. Take it to a dedicated muffler shop (not belle tire or similar chain) and have them give you a quote. If it seem high, get another quote or two...

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back pressure will not an issue. The y pipe and cats will create more than enough back pressure
nick im trying to order from your site and have a question ill pm you now