Eco diesel just blew up at 48k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2018 1500 Limited a couple days ago, and realized it was a Canadian truck when I saw the window sticker and the fuel rating said 14L/100km... I had no idea until I sat down with the financing dude and he just casually mentioned to make sure I was aware that this truck was being sold with no warranty (Only has 21k miles, so it's both under 3 years and 36k)... I said that's had to be a mistake, so they made some calls and came back and told me the same, that Canadian warranties aren't honored here in the states. Luckily, I found this out BEFORE signing and walking out the door, so they gave me their bumper to bumper warranty at cost, so I have warranty coverage for the next 4 years/50k...

I woulda potentially been in this same world of hurt had he not just nonchalantly mentioned it as I was closing the deal!

Bummer to hear man, hope you figure out a way to soften the blow!

Would you say the limited you bought was priced fairly to reflect the lack of warranty (prior to them offering you their warranty)? I'm glad you found out prior to buying, most people are not that lucky. Two real problems with this, one is they apparently don't have to tell the customer (super shady). The other problem I have with it is they are getting these cheaper from Canada (there's a reason so many dealers get them from up there, some dealers I looked at had ONLY Canadian FCA vehicles for their used lots) yet I never see them priced in a way to reflect that, always right up there with the prices for one with a US warranty on it. Keeping up appearances so they can screw you over for the most amount of money.

On a brighter note, nice looking limited and welcome to the forum!

Hopefully FCA will step up for the original poster, I could see that going either way but wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would imagine that this would need to be more than just a mention. There should be a piece of paper stating this lack of warranty that would require your signature.

Op was this a ram dealer? Ask them to prove that they made it clear to you what it meant to buy a Canadian truck. Not just he said she said

Either they aren't required to tell this, or many of them just don't anyway (shocking!). Chrysler stopped honoring warranties in the U.S. for Canadian cars back around 2003, if you google "2003 Chrysler Canada warranties" or something like that, you will find the news articles about it from back then. I guess everyone is just supposed to remember or know that somehow.

I agree that FCA should honor it, but I'm sure there have been thousands of cases like this since 2003 and probably not many of them favor the consumer.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
Thanks for all the support guys! I really appreciate it. The dealership was a small dealership along the auto mike in Massachusetts there was no window sticker per day. Same thing happened to me , took test drive fell in love with the truck worked out payment, then while in finance office doing paperwork he began pushing me toward buying an aftermarket warranty. When I said no he casually told me there was no warranty on it. So I walked out. Sales guy grabbed me and said what’s going on? I said finance guy says no warranty? Something about being sold in Canada? Salesman says ohh... some dealerships will recognize it and some won’t. I said I’m not buying it if there is no warranty. He calls my local ram dealer , does a vin check for warranty and parts guy says yes I’m seeing Powertrain warranty but it’s in kilometers, but he thinks they don’t do bumper to bumper on cars that show up in kilometers. Salesman tells me that there is only 4 months of bumper to bumper I’m losing and they cover me for 90 days anyway so it’s not much loss. So I go back in and sign. I was under the impression that Powertrain was still there! But it wasn’t! Sales man lied!

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
The sales guy ensured that the price of the truck would thousands more if it weren’t Canadian however I’m still 7k upside down on the truck right now. So I don’t think I bought it at a discount ($35900 for a 2016 ram 1500 ed crew cab longhorn limited ) bought feb 2019

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
can anyone tell me the answer to this question? If a ram is built for the Canadian market to Canadian specs would the speedometer be in kilometers not miles? Mine is in miles per hour and fca said that someone could easily change it out. Did the shady dealership swap it out or is it required to be changed for us market? And who would do the changes?

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I think it can be changed back & forth in the settings using the buttons on the steering wheel.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd make a huge stink with that **** bag dealer you bought it from. Tell them if they don't help you out you will be contacting your local news media consumer hotline. I'm sure your in the Boston media market but I'm just south of you in the Providence RI media market and they have reporters who will go out and confront shady business's that screw consumers. Many times the customer is helped out because the business owner doesn't want bad publicity.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Thanks for all the support guys! I really appreciate it. The dealership was a small dealership along the auto mike. Sales man lied!

You don't say... salesmen LIE!!!! YES THEY DO - ANYTHING TO GET YOU TO SIGN. Never trust anything you are told verbally when purchasing a vehicle. It isn't enforceable. You must have it IN WRITING.

Sorry it cost you as much to learn that. It's up to FCA now. FCA Customer Care? Are you listening here? Nope! Not a peep out of them.

Steve Lehto is a consumer rights/lemon law lawyer in Michigan

Why car salesman lie

Something the salesman said isn't actually there

Things they can say and you can't sue for

Sorry bud, chaulk it up to life lesson learned.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
Oh I’ve learned alright! However FCA is going to continue shirking their responsibility in covering their product if we all remain silent! I’m hoping that this particular motor issue effects enough people who come together and hold FCA accountable for their lack of effort to find the cause and fix it rather than coming up with ways to prevent fulfilling warranties.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
I’m actually talking to an attorney as well as a media outlet in Boston about my options. I’ve been told to refrain from mentioning the dealer by name yet. But every fiber of my being wants to warn people to avoid them at all costs!!

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you convinced it really was sold in Canada first. A carfax should show this. I guess those can be manipulated but i would think it would be hard.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
Yes definitely showed Canada. But I didn’t know anything about a Canadian car and warranty thing at the time I looked at it. It also didnt day anything about how it was registered (personal veh or long term lease or commercial veh etc..)

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wll i'm very sorry to hear your story. Sure hope you come out with minimal financial impact. No matter how it ends up.

Don't know what yours was but i've seen some cam sprockets turn loose on the cams on some of the early ecos.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am so sorry I can’t believe what is happened to you. Ok a Canadian dash has KM on the out side of the speedometer I don’t trust car fax I bought a “lease return suv for my wife and it stated it was a corporate lease and so we asked the dealer if it was a daily rental. And they said no. Well we bought it site unseen and when we picked it up we went through the owner manual and we found a copy of the owner ship and it was a enterprise daily rental we went to the lawyers and we got all our money back and more.

243F8675-6380-4A8D-A88E-7475FE226A7B.jpeg

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sales guy ensured that the price of the truck would thousands more if it weren’t Canadian however I’m still 7k upside down on the truck right now. So I don’t think I bought it at a discount ($35900 for a 2016 ram 1500 ed crew cab longhorn limited ) bought feb 2019

How many miles were on it? Not an exact comparison but I bought my 17 longhorn with around 21k miles on it in April of 19 for just about that same price. Either way yeah for a truck without a warranty I don't think there's nearly enough discount there.

OP
OP
Dubbsy01

Dubbsy01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 eco diesel
When I bought it it had 27k miles on it.. so no not any discount!

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would you say the limited you bought was priced fairly to reflect the lack of warranty (prior to them offering you their warranty)? I'm glad you found out prior to buying, most people are not that lucky. Two real problems with this, one is they apparently don't have to tell the customer (super shady). The other problem I have with it is they are getting these cheaper from Canada (there's a reason so many dealers get them from up there, some dealers I looked at had ONLY Canadian FCA vehicles for their used lots) yet I never see them priced in a way to reflect that, always right up there with the prices for one with a US warranty on it. Keeping up appearances so they can screw you over for the most amount of money.

On a brighter note, nice looking limited and welcome to the forum!

Hopefully FCA will step up for the original poster, I could see that going either way but wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

To be honest, no I don't think it was originally priced fairly to take into account the lack of a remaining manufacturer warranty that one would expect when buying a 2018 with 21k miles on it. I definitely consider myself lucky that the financing guy mentioned it, and I was able to get them to take a little off the price to offset having to add a new extended warranty. Had he not and ran into an issue like our unlucky OP did and I would have found out the hard way that Canadian warranties aren't honored here, I would be livid.

Dealerships, especially reputable ones that have manufacturer backing and not "Joe's Cars" on the corner, should 100% be mandated to disclose this issue with Canadian warranties.

Appreciate the welcome, and I 2nd that, hopefully the OP gets taken care of in the end!

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can anyone tell me the answer to this question? If a ram is built for the Canadian market to Canadian specs would the speedometer be in kilometers not miles? Mine is in miles per hour and fca said that someone could easily change it out. Did the shady dealership swap it out or is it required to be changed for us market? And who would do the changes?

I can only speak for mine, obviously, but mine is "Canadian" and I have the ability to swap between kph and mph in my settings... I would imagine that not much changed between 2016 and 2018...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
One of the first clue's to a Canuck truck would be the daytime running lights /DRL's,by law Canadian spec'd trucks will all have DRL's,and look for a block heater cord,unless the truck was sold in the Vancouver/lower mainland area,there's a good chance it'll have a block heater and the attendant cord for it

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to see you’ve consulted with a lawyer. I’m not big on that as a general principle BUT there is a time and a place for everything.

I know in my home state dealers are required by law to disclose the warranty status of used cars. Hopefully there are similar consumer protections there.

Hopefully you’ll get some assistance if the selling dealer feels the heat.