Eco Diesel vs Pentastar 3.6 MPG Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A6USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
After just seeing a thread about the eco diesel 27 mpg numbers I thought I would crunch the numbers, here is how it went,,,
Local Shell Station Dutchess County NY
Regular- 3.77 gal.
Diesel- 4.36 gal

My Pentastar 3.6 on recent trip 200 miles 60% highway 65-70 mph Average MPG 20.5 (if I behaved it could be better)
Cost per mile 18.3 cents

Eco Diesel http://www.ramforum.com/f38/diesel_power_magazine_testing_2014_ecodiesel-38973/
MPG 27.4
Cost per mile 15.9 cents

Cost of Eco Diesel option 2,850.00

Eco Diesel is 2.4 cents per mile savings
2,850 divided by 2.4 cents =118,750 (corrected 10/28/13)

So If you were buying a Ram with the Eco Diesel just for MPG and not the improved towing, you would have to drive 118,750 miles just to break even.
I still feel my milage will go up as I only have 2300 miles on the truck now.
I loved my 2003 Diesel 2500, the power was awesome, but the days of diesel being for more green in the wallet are over, unless you drive your truck for insane miles,,,Thats my 2 cents :think: ,,Brian

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be a very conservative number. I doubt the diesel would average 27.4 over 129,000 miles. It would be best to compare their
combined/mixed EPA numbers (if available).

Last edited:

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thats why I decided not to wait for the Eco Diesel, once upi figure everything in its really not that good of a deal.

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's always good to do these types of analysis but keep in mind that you would also have a higher resale value from the diesel.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if your sole reason for buying a diesel is to gain more mpgs on normal driving, your always going to come out losing. now if you tow frequently or plan on putting bigger tires on and dont want as big a power loss and drop in fuel economy, thats where you will see your savings.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

My main reason for switching almost all of our vehicles,and equipment to Diesel is to avoid the ethanol in the gas.

We love the torque,MPG'S,and engine longevity of our Diesels.

I have a small garden tractor/lawn mower 24hp Briggs with only 260hrs that uses oil every time I use it because of ethanol killing the motor.:banghead:

Our Butt heads on capital hill are going to mandate the amount of ethanol currently @ 10% is going to be increased to 17% because OBAMA made a deal with Brazil to buy ethanol from them.:banghead::lazer:

Lets see what happens to motors and mileage with the increase in Ethanol, it's already destroying fuel systems and motors @10%.

A6USMC

MY calculator says your math is a little fuzzy. 2850 /.024= 118,750.

Cost of Eco Diesel option 2,850.00

Eco Diesel is 2.4 cents per mile savings
2,850 divided by 2.4 cents =129,545.45

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hate to break this to you but ethanol had nothing to do with that. If you would have said it ate away at the gaskets in the carb or that it gummed them up sure, but there is nothing it could do to make it burn oil.

On another note, people in the Grand Cherokee forums have been doing things like this since they announced it for that.
The main consensus is that if you were going to go with the V6 your breakeven point is so far down the road it isn't worth it, but if you were already getting the Hemi it is a really good choice, the breakeven is much sooner, especially if you run migrate in the hemi.

This is why I will be looking into this when I turn my truck in. On a 150 mile 100 percent highway trip I averaged almost 15 mpg's going 70 to 72 mph. If I can get that up to 22 to 23 that would be a big help.

One thing that you didn't add in there is the added cost oil maintenance and the cost of DEF.

Last edited:

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
It is worth it if you drive a LOT, then its a good deal. For most people, you will probably never even break even. A lot of people would trade it in before they even hit that kind of milage anyways.

OP
OP
A6USMC

A6USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Thank You, I stand corrected 118,750 miles to break even (good catch accountant?) lol,,Brian

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
A6USMC/Brian

No problem correcting your math HAHA.

I had a problem with my wife when she got her first Diesel, she kept looking at the PRICE difference between Gas and Diesel.

I had to get it to sink in it's not the cost per gallon, But COST PER MILE is the important number.

She is currently driving 2013 TDI Jetta, I just checked her MPG and she is getting 45.2 MPG combined and 52 mpg HWY and is very happy with the switch to Diesel.

Just an FYI price of gas locally is down to $2.91 per gallon, Diesel is $3.59 here in South Carolina.

-------------------------------------

loveracing1988

I hate to tell you Ethanol collects moisture/water, when a motor is turned off, any unburnt fuel that is sitting inside your cylinders is pitting the cylinder walls because of water causing a place for oil from the crankcase to get by the rings and burn oil.

In the case of my 48" garden tractor/lawn mower it sometimes sits for weeks or a month, since I purchased 72" Diesel Zero Turn.

Ethanol effects the fuel system,gas tank/algae,fuel pump,fuel lines,fuel injectors,and cylinder walls,gaskets,and seals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A6USMC

A6USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Wow, good old C***o jamming it up our tail pipes here in NY with those fuel taxes. Down south you have nice flat land and low fuel prices, I guess Sunday drives are still possible

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Interesting read. There is an issue here though, its inaccurate unless DEF costs were added in.....

Big Tool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn't make much sense to me either.

If the diesel offered significantly more towing power while still delivering 23-24 mpg I would be very interested. i.e.. 5.0 cummins...

The ecodiesel is slower and less cost effective than the Pentastar. Less powerful than the Hemi, yet more expensive than both???

It a great big ol compromise that I fear is going to set the half ton diesel market back once people connect the dots and realize that this isn't a Heavy Duty diesel...

Diesels have a good reputation of durability and longevity, but I've already heard multiple rumblings that the 3.0 ecodiesel gets hot while towing.. Overheating is a serious design problem, that isn't to be expected in modern engines.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
Some of you guys are missing something important when it comes to mpg comparisons with the ecodiesel. I tow a 7000lb enclosed trailer quite a bit. With a V8 gasser I get 7mpg. With a diesel 3/4ton I get 12.5. I expect to get 15mpg out of the Ecodiesel, based on reviews of it towing similar loads. It won't take long for double mpg to pay for itself. Diesel isn't that much more than the mid-grade gas I towed with. The reason I went for the 1500 is that my truck is 1/2 daily driver and the 3/4 ton diesel is a huge clumsy loud fuel hog of a DD.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Some of you guys are missing something important when it comes to mpg comparisons with the ecodiesel. I tow a 7000lb enclosed trailer quite a bit. With a V8 gasser I get 7mpg. With a diesel 3/4ton I get 12.5. I expect to get 15mpg out of the Ecodiesel, based on reviews of it towing similar loads. It won't take long for double mpg to pay for itself. Diesel isn't that much more than the mid-grade gas I towed with. The reason I went for the 1500 is that my truck is 1/2 daily driver and the 3/4 ton diesel is a huge clumsy loud fuel hog of a DD.

If you spend half of your time towing that much of a load I'd have to imagine a 2500 cummins would make
more sense longevity wise. With the 3.42 rear end or whatever it is
Theyre known for doing 19-20 mpg highway empty and 14-15 mpg towing. I'd have a hard time imagining with a 7k lb trailer the ecodiesel would be more efficient than the 6.7. I could easily be wrong though. I'm considering trading my pentastar in on an ecodiesel because I put on 30k+ miles per year and want to maintain my value better... Admittedly, I'm a cummins fan as they employ me.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The driving experience with a turbo diesel is also very different than with a gas motor, especially the pentastar. A turbocharged motor (especially a diesel) just cruises around, "The world is flat with a turbo diesel".

Hell, my 90 HP TDI Jetta would cruise up hills at well above the speed limit w/o issue. They are amazing motors, drove an ED Grand Cherokee (no Rams yet) and was super impressed. Seemless smooth power, you don't ever think "Ugh, shift already you ****".

Maybe that only applies to us mountain folk at 7,500' + elevation...

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
The diesel will sell well, not supposed to tow the max rating anyway. If you need to the 9000 buy a 2500. This diesel will pull a boat, etc with ease.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The diesel will sell well, not supposed to tow the max rating anyway. If you need to the 9000 buy a 2500. This diesel will pull a boat, etc with ease.

The salesman I was talking to yesterday said they haven't sold one yet, and they have 2 in right now.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
I guess it depends on area. I love the idea of mpg. I bet most will buy it for mpg. Most never tow. I don't see many tow. More of a weekend warrior and family hauler. So mpg will be nice.

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
I'm getting it as a commuter vehicle and camping hauler when I need it 10-12 times a year. Moving from a Suburban at 14 mpg on premium and drive 90 miles at least every day so 30ish highway would be great. If I was hauling anything I'd get the 2500 6.4, would suck for everyday but no worse than my current truck and much more comfortable.