Engine / Engine Compartment cleanup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
What do people use to get an engine compartment looking really nice and clean besides a lot of elbow grease and time?

Also is there any way to get aluminum part corrosion cleaned up besides using a lot of elbow grease, time and wire wheels?

On my 02 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo, I wire wheeled the aluminum to clean it and give it a brushed look, but haven't figured out how to keep it from re-corroding, and that car is going to take me a long time to put in the shape I want it.

However my 02 Ram is in same need, only its planned to be used as a daily, so i don't have to get quite as fancy, but I still want it to look good, just not wanting to spend show car labor on it!

Thanks in advance

Skatu

Peep6543

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CRC Citrus Degreaser is my friend for cleaning up the engine compartment. Then I'll get to today spots with Simple Green and a plastic brush. Depending on how much plastic you have left in there you can wipe it with A&H.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Purple power and water hose sprayer or pressure washer on LOW. Then I spray the bay down (mostly the plastic bits) with foaming tire shine & let it sit for 15 minutes. Then finish by wiping gently with a soft towel. I've done this to every customer's vehicle and my own once a year to maintain.

In a pinch I've also use HD silicone spray as a substitute and on aluminum parts to slow corrosion.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I spray the engine compartment with ZEP Orange (1st choice) or Purple Power. Let it sit for 5 minutes then hose spray the compartment clean.
Last I spray it all with 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic and rubber parts protection and for the shine.
There's no need to wipe anything down.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I spray the engine compartment with ZEP Orange (1st choice) or Purple Power. Let it sit for 5 minutes then hose spray the compartment clean.
Last I spray it all with 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic and rubber parts protection and for the shine.
There's no need to wipe anything down.

I'm about to order the 128 oz. from amazon to spray my engine bay now that I cleaned it lol ..

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ok to use it on my wife's Lexus leather?
Yes, here's what they say:

Stain resistant. 303 Aerospace Protectant repels water and dirt, and resists stains. Treated surfaces require less cleaning and will remain in like-new condition. It restores the original finish to vinyl, rubber, plastic, acrylic, finished leather, and fiberglass. 303 is never oily or greasy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yes, here's what they say:

Stain resistant. 303 Aerospace Protectant repels water and dirt, and resists stains. Treated surfaces require less cleaning and will remain in like-new condition. It restores the original finish to vinyl, rubber, plastic, acrylic, finished leather, and fiberglass. 303 is never oily or greasy.

Nice ! can't wait to start dressing everything up lol ... I should be getting it any time now from Amazon ....

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
CRC Citrus Degreaser is my friend for cleaning up the engine compartment. Then I'll get to today spots with Simple Green and a plastic brush. Depending on how much plastic you have left in there you can wipe it with A&H.
it smells good too. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990