Engine Oil Heat Exchanger Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
Looking to see if anyone else has run across this. I just changed the oil in my 2019 Ram 1500 Long Horn 5.7. Nothing unusual as I have always changed my oil. Except this time i fire her up and a puddle of oil was building on the floor of my shop. Crawled under to locate. Oil was running between the block and the housing that the oil filter screws on to. Checked the sensor and hoses. No leaks there. Here is a picture of the housing.Was thinking about pulling the filter back off and trying to tighten down on the filter lug hoping to stop the leak68271639AC-4-BAK.jpg

OP
OP
Gregory McKinley

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
Update: Found that when you pull filter this heat exchanger housing has a lot of play. The oil filter is what actually holds this in place. I rotated exchanger opposite direction (1/4) turn and installed a new filter only hand tight. This actually stopped the leak. Seems kind of a Mickey Mouse rig considering the oil pressure this is under. Note that there is a sensor on this part also, not leaking, could not say if it is a temp or pressure??? Be very AWARE when you get your oil changed.