Engine oil smells like gas/alcohol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgen57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey everyone, I bought a 2020 ram 1500 classic 5.7 off of copart to rebuild and make my daily driver. I got it home and the oil smells pretty heavily of gas, but this truck has probably been sitting on the lot for a while, possibly months and months. Who knows how long. It only has 1,000 miles on the oil according to the oil sticker on the windshield, and I’m concerned that I bought a blown up truck. When we started it and drove it into the garage it ran really quiet and smooth, It sounded more healthy than my dad’s 2014 limited 1500. This truck only has 37,000 miles on it. Is it normal for fuel to get into the oil through the rings or some other way when it’s been sitting for possibly months on end? Or is this truck in need of some serious work at only 4 years old. Thanks everyone.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the engine was started several times in the yard it probably did not get hot enough to come off fast idle . So it would be rich at each of those starts , leading to the smelly oil . Change the oil so you know what you have and drive on,

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You really need to drive it to see what is normal or not normal. Fuel smelling oil is probably pretty common in a junk yard truck or salvage auction truck. I bet the truck has been started and moved around many times without letting all of the fluids come up to operating temps. Which, would probably let some fuel get by the rings over time.

You could leak down test it or compression test it. But I suspect it's fine based on what you are saying.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You need to send that oil for analysis, see if they added something to make it sellable and find out why. Helpful to know long term fuel trims. Fuel trims tell a story inbetween running perfect and check engine light. If long term fuel trims over 10% either way, could be issue.