Engine temperature varies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jersybehr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a ‘21 RAM Laramie with a 5.7 engine. Last week I noticed the engine temperature bounced between 196 and 226 degrees during some stop and go traffic. Expressway travel was 203 to 206 degrees.
When I got home I checked the coolant level and operation of the fan. Coolant was full and after warm up the fan came on at about 210 degrees.
During warm up I felt the top hose. It got slightly warm from approximately 175 degrees. At that point I think there was partial tycoolant flow. At approximately 208 degrees the thermostat opened fully with the top hose getting hot. The temperature proceeded to drop to about 196 and then slowly went to 206 degrees. It stayed there until I turn on the AC to get the fan to come on at 210 degrees.
My question is, this nominal operation and I just was not paying attention or is this a problem?

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah this is normal (not that I agree with it). I remember the first winter in my truck, no A/C running, I pulled off the interstate and the temp jumped up to 230 while waiting at the red light. Thought something was wrong with the fan, turns out that is just the temp they say is "ok"... If I recall correctly the factory stat is a 200.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357