Epic Road Trip to pick up my new Rebel GT at Mark Dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

stevieb92

Reaction score
It appears they do use salt:

I use to live in the rust belt. I don't mean to alarm you, but salt = rust. I'd do my best to pressure wash the underside of your new truck thoroughly. OTOH, you're going to get more of it in Pittsburgh anyway, so it may be a loosing battle in the end.

I was born in Pittsburgh. I remember going back to visit in the winter. My dad would put spikes in winter tires to be able to get up and down the hills. This was back in the bias ply tire days.

Congrats on the new truck. I was in Lake Charles a couple of weeks ago. I have family there. Not a scenic area, but the people were nice.

I've lived my entire life in PA and have a pretty good idea what it looks like when salt is used on icy roads. I didn't see anything on the roads I traveled on in Alabama, interstates or other back roads. They can have a document saying they do use salt, but there was nothing. They must have ran out. There was sand on some bridge overpasses, but nothing elsewhere. We never saw any trucks that would be used to spread salt either. So, I saw no evidence. Once we got to TN we could see evidence of salt, but the roads were pretty dry by that point so I don't believe very much got on the underside of my truck.

I used the hose at the station to flush the underside of the truck pretty decent, but we don't have a pressure washer at the station. When it warms up next week, I'll use my pressure washer at home and get the underside. This truck isn't a daily driver and I won't be driving it in snow unless absolutely necessary. I'll use my beater Acura TSX for that.

Yeah, Lake Charles wasn't a very scenic area, but everyone we encountered was super nice. I'd definitely go back and purchase another vehicle from MD.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Even if you won't use it in salt a lot, my suggestion is; once you get it cleaned, take it in and have it Rust checked or Crown coated. It works wonders for keeping them rust free in Salty areas.

AnthonyRI

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for making the trip and for the great write-up! Sorry I didn't get to meet ya! Great looking truck hope it brings many miles of adventure for you and yours.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, shortly after I got home wednesday afternoon I washed it and let it thaw out. Since Alabama was where we drove through the worst conditions, I doubt there was much salt on it anyway since they don't use it. By the time we got to TN, the roads were nearly dry and I wasn't driving in very sloppy stuff anymore. I saw that first hand - lots of places were closed. Hardly anyone in the small towns were out and about, well except for Wrangler drivers having fun. lol
so, did you take 75N to get home?

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up...I enjoyed it.
Good lookin truck

OP
OP
S

stevieb92

Reaction score
so, did you take 75N to get home?

We considered it, but didn't since we though that 75 and that route would take us through more mountainous areas with potentially worse roads. And likely less populated areas were undesirable if we had problems. I 65 north was closed around the Cullman area just north of Burmingham, so we had to get off I 65 and use Route 31 to get around it and got back on I 65 north near Decatur. With many of the roads blocked, it was difficult just getting to 31.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

when we go up to Rochester, NY, 75 is our road then up through (ugh) Ohio. 75 isn't bad, mostly 3 lanes and 75 to 85mph is normal speeds. But, once you get to Cincinnati, the world of driving changes. Not to offend anyone from Ohio, but, damn, there's a lot of rude drivers in that state. Now, we just drive it over nite to avoid them. lol

anyway, glad you made it safe.

OP
OP
S

stevieb92

Reaction score
when we go up to Rochester, NY, 75 is our road then up through (ugh) Ohio. 75 isn't bad, mostly 3 lanes and 75 to 85mph is normal speeds. But, once you get to Cincinnati, the world of driving changes. Not to offend anyone from Ohio, but, damn, there's a lot of rude drivers in that state. Now, we just drive it over nite to avoid them. lol

anyway, glad you made it safe.

I've found that the closer you get to the big cities, the more a-holes are out on the roads.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,
I was finally able to make the road trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Mark Dodge to pick up my new Rebel GT. Mapping it out showed a total of 1287 miles, one way. It started on saturday morning, Jan 13 at 6:30 am. My girlfriend and I drove my 2020 Wrangler Rubicon down because I was trading it in to MD. We drove through several hours of Ohio where it was snowing and windy. The wind was absolutely crazy and it took effort to keep the Jeep in my lane. Once we passed Cincinatti, the snow stopped and the wind died down and it was smooth sailing to Louisiana. We drove straight through stopping a lot for bathroom breaks, gas and sometimes through the night to sleep in the Jeep. We finally arrived at the hotel near MD Sunday morning around 9:15 am. Thankfully, they had a room available that early and let us check in waaaay early so we could recharge. Since we drove through some nasty weather, I ran the Jeep to the nearest car wash and gave it one last bath before handing over the keys the next day.
Monday morning, we arrived at MD at 8am and were greeted by Derrick and Mark. We chatted awhile next to my truck which was under the side pavilion. I looked the truck over and was impressed how clean it was. We were then greeted by Aaron and chatted awhile with him as well. I remarked multiple times how pleasant the buying experience was and how helpful everyone I spoke to was during the process. We transferred all our gear to the Rebel GT and said one last goodbye to the Jeep. We left there approximately 9:45 am. With the winter storm "Heather" moving in, we decided to drive to Birmingham, AL and stay the night in a hotel because we were both tired from the previous all night drive. We planned to drive straight through the next day. Tuesday morning, Jan 16 we awoke to news stories of horrible icy roads, wrecks everywhere and road closures. Interstate 65 North, was closed just a few miles north of Birmingham due to wrecked tractor trailers blocking the highway. We initially planned to leave at 7am, but now we decided to hold tight until the sun started coming out and began helping to melt things. Our hotel was real close to 65 and we could see traffic moving in both directions, slowly, but moving. We elected to leave and give it a try. We left there around 9:45, filled up on gas and made it onto 65 North. Being in the north, I expected to see salt trucks out and the roads improving but was highly disappointed. I guess their plan was to let the sun and warmer temps get rid of the ice. Nothing. They were doing nothing. The bad part is the temps were expected to stay well below freezing for the next couple days. What a **** show. It was slow moving on 65 North and eventually traffic came to a stop. We sat there for over an hour. Finally made it off the interstate to use the bathroom and we weren't let back on so our GPS routed us around on back roads.
We tried several different routes to get north of the closed section of 65 north. Most of these routes were back roads and also blocked by wrecks. We finally found a open route and made it back onto 65 north beyond the closed section. We were able to stay moving and finally made it to the TN border where the roads seemed better. We kept trucking along and the roads were mostly dry in TN and tried to make up time but the temps were still below 20, so any thawed ice/snow was likely going to freeze once the sun went down. As darkness fell, it was getting difficult to tell if the road was dry, wet or had black ice so we grabbed another hotel in Bowling Green, KY. I can't believe it took us almost all day to go from Birmingham AL to Bowling Green KY. If you are ever traveling south during winter and a storm is moving in, make sure you are prepared. Those southern states are horrible at maintaining the roads in those conditions.
The next day we left Bowling Green and finally made it home to Pittsburgh Wednesday evening. We didn't expect that kind of a road trip, but we were safe and the truck handled everything that was thrown at it. I was impressed with the Goodyear Duratracs, since I've never had them on a vehicle before. I've always been a fan of the BFG KO2s. Only when I goosed the skinny pedal did the truck try to get loose. The Rebel GT is such a smooth running truck and difference was night and day between the Jeep. We made several videos throughout our trip, so stay tuned to our youtube channel to check them out. It will be awhile until we get that footage edited and published.
Sorry for the long story, but some of you may find it entertaining. Here are a couple pics of the truck at the hotel in Bowling Green and one after it's first bath Wednesday evening. I couldn't let it sit in my garage all filthy, so it had to get cleaned up a little.

View attachment 535651
View attachment 535652
View attachment 535653
Nice truck. Nice trip. Nice report!

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,
I was finally able to make the road trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Mark Dodge to pick up my new Rebel GT. Mapping it out showed a total of 1287 miles, one way. It started on saturday morning, Jan 13 at 6:30 am. My girlfriend and I drove my 2020 Wrangler Rubicon down because I was trading it in to MD. We drove through several hours of Ohio where it was snowing and windy. The wind was absolutely crazy and it took effort to keep the Jeep in my lane. Once we passed Cincinatti, the snow stopped and the wind died down and it was smooth sailing to Louisiana. We drove straight through stopping a lot for bathroom breaks, gas and sometimes through the night to sleep in the Jeep. We finally arrived at the hotel near MD Sunday morning around 9:15 am. Thankfully, they had a room available that early and let us check in waaaay early so we could recharge. Since we drove through some nasty weather, I ran the Jeep to the nearest car wash and gave it one last bath before handing over the keys the next day.
Monday morning, we arrived at MD at 8am and were greeted by Derrick and Mark. We chatted awhile next to my truck which was under the side pavilion. I looked the truck over and was impressed how clean it was. We were then greeted by Aaron and chatted awhile with him as well. I remarked multiple times how pleasant the buying experience was and how helpful everyone I spoke to was during the process. We transferred all our gear to the Rebel GT and said one last goodbye to the Jeep. We left there approximately 9:45 am. With the winter storm "Heather" moving in, we decided to drive to Birmingham, AL and stay the night in a hotel because we were both tired from the previous all night drive. We planned to drive straight through the next day. Tuesday morning, Jan 16 we awoke to news stories of horrible icy roads, wrecks everywhere and road closures. Interstate 65 North, was closed just a few miles north of Birmingham due to wrecked tractor trailers blocking the highway. We initially planned to leave at 7am, but now we decided to hold tight until the sun started coming out and began helping to melt things. Our hotel was real close to 65 and we could see traffic moving in both directions, slowly, but moving. We elected to leave and give it a try. We left there around 9:45, filled up on gas and made it onto 65 North. Being in the north, I expected to see salt trucks out and the roads improving but was highly disappointed. I guess their plan was to let the sun and warmer temps get rid of the ice. Nothing. They were doing nothing. The bad part is the temps were expected to stay well below freezing for the next couple days. What a **** show. It was slow moving on 65 North and eventually traffic came to a stop. We sat there for over an hour. Finally made it off the interstate to use the bathroom and we weren't let back on so our GPS routed us around on back roads.
We tried several different routes to get north of the closed section of 65 north. Most of these routes were back roads and also blocked by wrecks. We finally found a open route and made it back onto 65 north beyond the closed section. We were able to stay moving and finally made it to the TN border where the roads seemed better. We kept trucking along and the roads were mostly dry in TN and tried to make up time but the temps were still below 20, so any thawed ice/snow was likely going to freeze once the sun went down. As darkness fell, it was getting difficult to tell if the road was dry, wet or had black ice so we grabbed another hotel in Bowling Green, KY. I can't believe it took us almost all day to go from Birmingham AL to Bowling Green KY. If you are ever traveling south during winter and a storm is moving in, make sure you are prepared. Those southern states are horrible at maintaining the roads in those conditions.
The next day we left Bowling Green and finally made it home to Pittsburgh Wednesday evening. We didn't expect that kind of a road trip, but we were safe and the truck handled everything that was thrown at it. I was impressed with the Goodyear Duratracs, since I've never had them on a vehicle before. I've always been a fan of the BFG KO2s. Only when I goosed the skinny pedal did the truck try to get loose. The Rebel GT is such a smooth running truck and difference was night and day between the Jeep. We made several videos throughout our trip, so stay tuned to our youtube channel to check them out. It will be awhile until we get that footage edited and published.
Sorry for the long story, but some of you may find it entertaining. Here are a couple pics of the truck at the hotel in Bowling Green and one after it's first bath Wednesday evening. I couldn't let it sit in my garage all filthy, so it had to get cleaned up a little.

View attachment 535651
View attachment 535652
View attachment 535653
That's a good lookin truck right there.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good looking truck! Looks like it was worth the journey!

I live in Huntsville, and yes... it was a show. I drove my 2500 from the east side of HSV to the HSV airport (30+ miles) on Tuesday. I literally crossed the mountain on a sheet of ice. If we weren't bent on getting to Key West on one of the only non-cancelled flights out on Tuesday we would have never attempted it.

Honestly we're not prepared for it because it isn't an event that happens very often. The last one was a decade ago. It would take decades upon decades to offset the cost of the proper equipment to clear the roads of all the ice we got. One of those things where the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Funny enough... I am watching ice melt in my driveway as we speak, for the first time since last week. My back patio around my pool is still a sheet of ice.

Now... if you come back through and a tornado is close, we've gotcha covered. We see way more of those, so North Alabama is much better equipped to handle them.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good looking truck! Looks like it was worth the journey!

I live in Huntsville, and yes... it was a show. I drove my 2500 from the east side of HSV to the HSV airport (30+ miles) on Tuesday. I literally crossed the mountain on a sheet of ice. If we weren't bent on getting to Key West on one of the only non-cancelled flights out on Tuesday we would have never attempted it.

Honestly we're not prepared for it because it isn't an event that happens very often. The last one was a decade ago. It would take decades upon decades to offset the cost of the proper equipment to clear the roads of all the ice we got. One of those things where the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Funny enough... I am watching ice melt in my driveway as we speak, for the first time since last week. My back patio around my pool is still a sheet of ice.

Now... if you come back through and a tornado is close, we've gotcha covered. We see way more of those, so North Alabama is much better equipped to handle them.
Tornadoes, Hail Storms and Tropical systems here. Only snow that was an issue was Feb 2021, but hey, they just closed down the whole state not to mention the loss of life from issues. YUP. Everything Bigger in TX, lmao.

SteelCurtan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck. Ours are exactly alike except I have the Ram boxes. Just got back from Nashville after driving through winter storm whatever for a kiddo hockey tourney. Like your, my truck was white.

Attachments

• IMG_8382.jpeg
    IMG_8382.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9267.jpeg
    IMG_9267.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 7

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck. Ours are exactly alike except I have the Ram boxes. Just got back from Nashville after driving through winter storm whatever for a kiddo hockey tourney. Like your, my truck was white.
Nice looking roads there. Definitely helps to have a decent vehicle, with good capabilities and a person that understands how to drive in that circumstances, not the clowns here that think 4 X 4 means do as U wish, if the Speed Limit sign says 70, hey U got a 4 X 4, go 70 mph, lol.