Erratic O/D and poor shifting Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jporiginals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Hi all, I’ve been dealing with this issue for over a year and a half… finally found the problem. Thought I’d share incase someone else has it.

The back story… I bought my 2nd gen, 1999 ram 1500 with Auto Transmission from my dad. He had a local shop do some repairs.

The problem: the O/D would turn off and on randomly and erratically. Tried unplugging the shifter button and that didn’t change anything. The problem got progressively worse. Some trips it wouldn’t do it at all, others it felt like a 2 year old was playing with the O/D button.

Along with the O/D issue it started the Pulse throttle response and would also never down shift unless I pressed the throttle wide open to trick it. Sometimes I had to manually shift the truck down.

After some research I figured out that Dodge put the Trans control module in with the main PCM(which was “replaced” at a shady shop). I previously had some issues trying to plug a professional scanner into the OBDII. It wouldn’t recognize that it was plugged in.

I replaced the PCM this weekend and drove it on backroads and the highway(first time in almost 2 years) and didn’t have any of the issues. The pcm that came out had the label removed and no markings. I’m guessing that the shop went and yanked one out of another truck that obviously had issues too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441