Family Road Trip Supply Essentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Planning for a long road trip in about a month for a family reunion of sorts, AZ to AR for a week and then back, should be a good haul for the 4 of us.

My question is, what's something you've forgotten or not taken on a long road trip you wish you had with you?

Ransom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VMI 3.0 TD
+1 on the charge cables. Headphones for backseat electronics.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Chloroform (for the kids)

The way kids are these days the kids probably have a bottle of that for you.

As for the OPs question, whenever eating daily on the road it can't hurt to have a bottle of Imodium pills.

And, when kids are involved, you might need a bottle or 2 of Excedrin ( or Advil etc. etc.)

Have a safe and sane trip
:cheers:

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Patience,It's not a race,don't set an exact time to get there as believe it or not you will be frustrated with other drivers and cause arguments in the truck among yourselves.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After years of commercial driving 48 states plus Canada and plenty of personal travel I came to just depend on the abundance of shopping nationwide almost everywhere so I barely bring anything. If I forget something there's retail everywhere to get one and in the big picture it's pretty cheap.

Stuff I always keep in the vehicle but especially useful when home isn't nearby: non drowsy allergy medicine, aspirin and abundant paper towels/tissues. Never can predict when you'll need those things.

Family travel might be different but I've found audiobooks are an awesome way to pass miles, don't get repetitive like music and it's a little bit like going to the movies if the book is good I show up at my destination like no time passed at all. My wife and I have different taste but we can usually find something we'll both enjoy. Turning down the bass a little for audiobooks can improve intelligibility and stop your ears from getting tired.

Some travel advice if you'll have it - if your eyelids get heavy don't chug energy drinks or coffee - get oxygen in your blood that's what you need. Park the truck somewhere safe, get out and sprint or jog or whatever your personal mobility allows you until you're panting then walk back. That'll get your brain back in the game for a while so you can stay safe to your destination. Staying physically active is a big deal for distance drivers, all that sitting does a number on digestive processes and it's better to go for a walk every few hours than to get the high score on miles without stopping. Factor that into your time. Plus it gives you and your family time to rip some good wind outside the cab where it's not going to torture everyone.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Where in AZ to where in AR

Every year from 2003 - 2020,
I drive from San Diego to Connecticut & back in Mid July & late August

In the bed, I carry a good plastic Ice Cooler, it holds 30 cans of coors & 20 pounds of ice.
In the cab i have another cooler with plastic bottles of spring water.

I leave San Diego at 8 AM & take Interstate 8 into Yuma.
In Yuma i gas up, both my fuel tank & a Jerry can. i leave Yuma at 11 AM.
My next stop is just a leg stretcher & i grab some coffee & top off with fuel, where Interstate 8 ends & i catch Interstate 10 at Casa Grande or Eloy

My next leg stretcher is either in Wilcox Az or Lordsburg N.M., i top off fuel & grab something to eat.

Then i drive all the way to El Paso & depending the weather & traffic, i like to go to most of the way through El Paso, either on I-10 or North 375 around El Paso.
I find a motel by 10 PM
At 9 AM, i fuel up & i am back on the I-10 & I-20, i only drive to the town of Sweetwater Texas, just east of Abilene, where i go to sleep after only 7 hours of driving
The next day i drive into at Least Texarkana Ar

I stop to stretch my old legs at Truck Stops & i fuel up at every stop, even if it will only take 15 + gallons

Try to avoid Tucson during rush hour, they don't know how to drive :)

OP
OP
danielmid

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in AZ to where in AR

Every year from 2003 - 2020,
I drive from San Diego to Connecticut & back in Mid July & late August

In the bed, I carry a good plastic Ice Cooler, it holds 30 cans of coors & 20 pounds of ice.
In the cab i have another cooler with plastic bottles of spring water.

I leave San Diego at 8 AM & take Interstate 8 into Yuma.
In Yuma i gas up, both my fuel tank & a Jerry can. i leave Yuma at 11 AM.
My next stop is just a leg stretcher & i grab some coffee & top off with fuel, where Interstate 8 ends & i catch Interstate 10 at Casa Grande or Eloy

My next leg stretcher is either in Wilcox Az or Lordsburg N.M., i top off fuel & grab something to eat.

Then i drive all the way to El Paso & depending the weather & traffic, i like to go to most of the way through El Paso, either on I-10 or North 375 around El Paso.
I find a motel by 10 PM
At 9 AM, i fuel up & i am back on the I-10 & I-20, i only drive to the town of Sweetwater Texas, just east of Abilene, where i go to sleep after only 7 hours of driving
The next day i drive into at Least Texarkana Ar

I stop to stretch my old legs at Truck Stops & i fuel up at every stop, even if it will only take 15 + gallons

Try to avoid Tucson during rush hour, they don't know how to drive :)

Phoenix to Bentonville, so mostly I40 straight across.

I have a feeling with the 2 kids we'll be hitting the rest stops also. We do camping trips and CA/MX trips so being stuck in the truck isn't new, but the length for this trip is.

OP
OP
danielmid

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chloroform (for the kids)

And extra cords for electronic devices

Already on their way from Amazon!

TP & portable urinals for both sexes.
Paper towels in the cab for food spills.

Baby wipes are an amazing invention, those and paper towels for sure.

Patience,It's not a race,don't set an exact time to get there as believe it or not you will be frustrated with other drivers and cause arguments in the truck among yourselves.

Well said.

After years of commercial driving 48 states plus Canada and plenty of personal travel I came to just depend on the abundance of shopping nationwide almost everywhere so I barely bring anything. If I forget something there's retail everywhere to get one and in the big picture it's pretty cheap.

Stuff I always keep in the vehicle but especially useful when home isn't nearby: non drowsy allergy medicine, aspirin and abundant paper towels/tissues. Never can predict when you'll need those things.

Family travel might be different but I've found audiobooks are an awesome way to pass miles, don't get repetitive like music and it's a little bit like going to the movies if the book is good I show up at my destination like no time passed at all. My wife and I have different taste but we can usually find something we'll both enjoy. Turning down the bass a little for audiobooks can improve intelligibility and stop your ears from getting tired.

Some travel advice if you'll have it - if your eyelids get heavy don't chug energy drinks or coffee - get oxygen in your blood that's what you need. Park the truck somewhere safe, get out and sprint or jog or whatever your personal mobility allows you until you're panting then walk back. That'll get your brain back in the game for a while so you can stay safe to your destination. Staying physically active is a big deal for distance drivers, all that sitting does a number on digestive processes and it's better to go for a walk every few hours than to get the high score on miles without stopping. Factor that into your time. Plus it gives you and your family time to rip some good wind outside the cab where it's not going to torture everyone.

We love audiobooks, kids get the headphones and a movie or Switch, we set the fader up front for the books. I've got a few loaded and ready.

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
We are mid trip atm
Went from Oregon through Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebrska and stopped in Kansas for a few days. Then moved on to Missouri. Now we are headed to California to catch time with family and use the I-5 to head back home to Oregon. Baby wipes are a life saver indeed, who wants to use rest stop one ply lol

Wrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of this is listed for travel with kids. We have done up to two-week long road trips in the last few years and these things help.

I’m fairly simple… cell phone mount so I can see the screen for directions (if not using OEM Nav), snacks, and water.

For kids:
- Headrest Mount for electronic devices (e.g., iPad, smartphone, Nintendo Switch) to be used in back seat along with headphones and associated chargers for the device
- Baby wipes
- Garbage bag
- Notebook and pencil for drawing or writing
- Snacks and water
- blanket
- pillow
- binoculars

Edit: want to add suction cup window shade for rear windows. It helps to keep the kids from getting glare on their electronics and avoid whining.

OP
OP
danielmid

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of this is listed for travel with kids. We have done up to two-week long road trips in the last few years and these things help.

I’m fairly simple… cell phone mount so I can see the screen for directions (if not using OEM Nav), snacks, and water.

For kids:
- Headrest Mount for electronic devices (e.g., iPad, smartphone, Nintendo Switch) to be used in back seat along with headphones and associated chargers for the device
- Baby wipes
- Garbage bag
- Notebook and pencil for drawing or writing
- Snacks and water
- blanket
- pillow
- binoculars

Edit: want to add suction cup window shade for rear windows. It helps to keep the kids from getting glare on their electronics and avoid whining.

Love this list, just ordered some of the headrest mounts that can hold the Switch or the DVD players, and good idea on the notebooks. They're little artists so drawing some of our stops will be a good break.

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A fishing rod or two if your going to AR. Some of the best trout fishing in the country, I’m down there from MO 6-7 times a year just to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The reason that i always fuel up if i have a 1/2 tank or less & i need to stop for anything, is
When traveling, you have no idea what is ahead of you.

One year i stopped to see a friend in Camdenton, Missouri. ( he worked for a well known Boat Company on the Lake of the Ozarks ).
The next day i planned on seeing another friend that lived in Joplin Missouri.
When i got close to Joplin, things looked different.
The Motel that i had stayed at a couple times was no longer there, i thought that some Construction company had bought up a lot of land to build a huge shopping center.
Little did i know, that was when several tornadoes at once had passed through Joplin.

There was no Home Depot or Lowes buildings, they were starting to erect a Tent

Gasoline & a lot of common merchandise was in very short supply & even cell phone service was scarce
AT&T was setting up a van, tables, small generators, etc.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way kids are these days the kids probably have a bottle of that for you.

As for the OPs question, whenever eating daily on the road it can't hurt to have a bottle of Imodium pills.

And, when kids are involved, you might need a bottle or 2 of Excedrin ( or Advil etc. etc.)

Have a safe and sane trip
:cheers:

Dont eat gas station sushi .

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First aid kit. Didn’t see it mentioned yet. If I missed it, my bad. Also a fire extinguisher, spare coolant and oil, as well as duct tape. Could use to repair a hose, or tape kids mouths shut.

Supcom1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TP for sure. Learned that when I hit a rest area that was almost out once lol. And in these times google ca. Be your friend to find cheap gas. Crazy how much prices can vary in the same areas.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summertime road trip, me- water, peanut butter crackers, road atlas, 12v phone charger & 200-300 cash. Truck- oil, water, tire gauge, jumper cables. Winter- above plus gloves, hats, blanket, dry boots & socks, ice scraper & candles. For the past few years, I have used mapquest to determine fuel stops. Nick

Wrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love this list, just ordered some of the headrest mounts that can hold the Switch or the DVD players, and good idea on the notebooks. They're little artists so drawing some of our stops will be a good break.

The headrest mounts for each kid are awesome. On our last few road trips my daughter (14) watched Netflix and downloaded movies on her phone. My son (10) played his Nintendo Switch with the screen mounted to the headrest and a handheld controller. OCCASIONALLY they will get along enough to play Mario Kart together.

Both kids love the notepads and pencils also. My son will draw non-stop and my daughter will write music. Definitely helps keep them busy.