Ford F-150 Lightning EV Production Slows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
"Ford’s plan to rule the EV market in the U.S., particularly in the pickup sector, has started to unravel. The Wall Street Journal obtained a UAW memo that shows Ford would slow production of its F-150 Lightning, the company’s EV flagship. The memo also said Ford has begun to build more gas-driven F-150s."

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Ford’s plan to rule the EV market in the U.S., particularly in the pickup sector, has started to unravel. The Wall Street Journal obtained a UAW memo that shows Ford would slow production of its F-150 Lightning, the company’s EV flagship. The memo also said Ford has begun to build more gas-driven F-150s."

SO now, how does RAM react? Since RAM is allegedly debuting the RAM RAV in 2025 ish? RAM's EV.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By raising prices, of course!
Not referring to price point, (but yeah, prices only go one way), I mean even deploying the REV. Though it does seem to look prettier than the Ford. I wonder how much more functional, to include ability's and range that will entice the RAM owner to go from ICE to EV. Personally, not me, I just not see an EV towing 6,000 lbs of trailer, etc. Sure it can for a while, stress the "while" factor. When I saw the TFL review on the Lighting towing where they did their usual tow course vs a Denali, it would be hands down Denali for me, not an eye opener, just what I thought the outcome would be. Just my Opinion.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Green Utopian Dream. LOLOLOL
Kemosabe, Kemosabe, look, Ford Truck, died on the roadway. Me thinks owner needs more Eveready batteries, lol. Betta fire up dat bunny, lmao. Ford trying to live up to it's old moniker. All IMHO...

CAVEAT: BOIRD not hate Ford, in fact wife had a great 2010 F150 with the gas station friendly Triton 5.4L, just the facts Sgt Friday.

bt.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A lot of these MBA's just play follow the leader. They don't have an original thought among them.

Only Toyoda, the CEO of Toyota, stood tall and quoted the science. The rest of these bozos are just money-grubbing know-nothings.

I know - I reported to some of them. Anyway, the market is making the correction for them. Trucks will have gas engines. City mouse mobiles will be EV, if they can make enough batteries, solar panels and transmission lines.

The transmission line building has just STARTED around here - they are decades behind making that expensive investment the corporations wouldn't make on their own. What a circle jerk.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Personally, not me, I just not see an EV towing 6,000 lbs of trailer, etc. Sure it can for a while, stress the "while" factor. When I saw the TFL review on the Lighting towing where they did their usual tow course vs a Denali, it would be hands down Denali for me, not an eye opener, just what I thought the outcome would be. Just my Opinion.
The problem with EV truck towing is the lack of range, other than that there's nothing that an ICE can do any better. EVs actually have a leg up as they have pretty much full torque from 0 rpms, no shifting transmission, and reactive braking that can rival a diesel exhaust brake.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I liked the interview with Farley after he'd drove the Lightening for a week,and admitted it left a bit to be desired as a truck.If Fords CEO admits the trucks not all it's hyped up to be,doesn't say much for people pushing them,and saying they do everything as well as an ICE truck does

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The problem with EV truck towing is the lack of range.

Don’t forget that pull through chargers are next to non-existent.

At 42.8kwh/100kms it would take 3 workday commutes for me to burn through its extended range pack costing $57 charging at home. (Last months electricity rate with all fees, charges, levies, and taxes was $0.47/kwh). That’s pretty much break even with gas here. Ford Lightning, No thank you.

IMG_3908.png

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
The problem with EV truck towing is the lack of range, other than that there's nothing that an ICE can do any better. EVs actually have a leg up as they have pretty much full torque from 0 rpms, no shifting transmission, and reactive braking that can rival a diesel exhaust brake.
I would say lack of range and battery charging time (although they are related issues). Most people do not appreciate how long it takes to charge a big battery. Yeah, a level 3 DC charger is pretty fast, half hour to an hour from 20 to 80 percent. But what about charging at home, or at a campground (if you are towing with your electric truck)? A level 2 240 volt charger is pretty good, at most 10 kWh added to the battery per hour. For a 150 kWh battery that would take 15 hours to fully charge a depleted battery. That's IF you had a 50 amp service at the campsite. If you only had 30 amp service (120 volts), well, come back in a couple of days for a full battery.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t forget that pull through chargers are next to non-existent.

At 42.8kwh/100kms it would take 3 workday commutes for me to burn through its extended range pack costing $57 charging at home. (Last months electricity rate with all fees, charges, levies, and taxes was $0.47/kwh). That’s pretty much break even with gas here. Ford Lightning, No thank you.

View attachment 530144
Not to mention the up-front cost of Lightning vs a similarly equipped gas F-150. That cost difference will buy a lot of gas, even at $4/gal.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
But what about charging at home, or at a campground (if you are towing with your electric truck)? A level 2 240 volt charger is pretty good, at most 10 kWh added to the battery per hour. For a 150 kWh battery that would take 15 hours to fully charge a depleted battery.
Yeap, I posted on another thread the the rough cost of a Level 2 charger for two hours a day is more than what a 2-ton capacity AC unit for a house costs running for 8 hours a day. Let alone if the grid has enough capacity to support all this extra load.
Until a manufacturer comes up with an zero-emissions power-train that can pull a decent sized travel trailer 400-500 miles a day without taking hours to "recharge" the vehicle. EV trucks will be nothing more than a fad or grocery-getter.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ford says they lose an average of $32,000 on every EV they sale. I suspect they are losing a lot more than that per Lightning which is keeping that average loss as high as it is.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in a townhouse no where to hookup a home ev charger. Would be the same for people that live in apartments and condos
^^^THIS^^^ is why EVs will fail. If you aren't a homeowner there is nowhere for you to charge. Think landlords are going to spend the $$$ to add charging stations to their properties?

The whole electric thing is a crock... completely impractical in the real world. Our govt is pushing it because they live in fantasy land.