Front brake locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
So just recently my trucks front brakes have been locking up. Some one said to adjust the rear brakes because I may only be using my fronts. So I adjusted my rear brakes then I bled all my brakes. I thought this would solve my problem well it didn't. I was driving today a car cut out in front of me I hit the brakes my left tire felt like it locked up and I went sliding through the intersection. My way home coming down the hill next to my house I slowly eased into the brakes waiting for it and all of the sudden it grabbed I slid down the hill and I tapped the brakes and kept pumping them and I stopped. I bought the truck last year towards the end of summer. The guy I got it from put two front calipers on the rotors pads and he also did the rear brakes as well. The calipers look new still. I cant figure out why it keeps locking up. When I bled the brakes fluid gushed out all of the calipers like a geyser. I properly bled them. I adjusted the rears. When I park my truck in my drive way my drive way is on a hill so I pull in and put the emergency brake on and put it in park. I come out the next day and take the emergency brake off and put it in reverse and let go of the brakes and the front calipers are locked the truck wont move then I give it gas and it bangs and the calipers release.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would verify that the caliper is locking hydraulically, not mechanically, by getting it to lock up in your driveway and seeing if opening the bleeder releases it.
If so, change the rubber line at the caliper. Notorious that they can fail internally and act as check valves allowing pressure to stay in the caliper.
If not, verify the brakes are assembled correctly and lubricated properly.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I would verify that the caliper is locking hydraulically, not mechanically, by getting it to lock up in your driveway and seeing if opening the bleeder releases it.
If so, change the rubber line at the caliper. Notorious that they can fail internally and act as check valves allowing pressure to stay in the caliper.
If not, verify the brakes are assembled correctly and lubricated properly.

Ok Im Going To Take Everything Apart And Lube Everything Make Sure The Pads Are Good Sorry On My Phone Don't Know Why It Caps.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok Im Going To Take Everything Apart And Lube Everything Make Sure The Pads Are Good Sorry On My Phone Don't Know Why It Caps.

Check and see if its locking hydraulically before you disassemble everything. Jack up the truck, step on the brake and release the pedal, then try and spin the wheel. If it is locked up, open and close the bleeder and try and turn the wheel. If it released, it is hydraulic and probably the rubber line entering the caliper.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Well I broke the bleeder off and the caliper wasn't releasing so I just replaced the line and caliper but know it seems like the back might be locking but I also just adjusted the drums so maybe I over tightened them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca