Front driveshaft replaced and now LOUD clanking noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayla2394

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I took my truck to the dealership to have the front driveshaft, tie rod ends, and sway bar end links replaced (also an alignment when done), recommended by the dealer.
Afterwards, I drove it for 3 days around town. (total of about 15 miles) I now have loud clanking noises while driving it. I first noticed it after backing out of my driveway. One "pop". Then after hearing a couple more "pops" I took it to a parking lot where I could make sharp turns to see if it was just while turning. Well, the popping noises turned into clanking popping noise. Then the clanking got louder. It isn't only when I turn. It happens just while driving straight down the road. Happens when truck downshifts while slowing, also when speeding up. Almost feels like something is slipping. Is there something that could have been damaged by the work they did? Or by doing a half-assed job?

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, doing suspension work shouldn't trash your engine or anything if they messed it up. or forgot to tighten something. However if they didn't get that drive shaft in correctly and it slipped and racked hard it could feed back into the tranny and crank and perhaps damage that. I hate having work done at dealers or anywhere. Usually a bunch of very inexperienced kids trying to mill work through.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I took my truck to the dealership to have the front driveshaft, tie rod ends, and sway bar end links replaced (also an alignment when done), recommended by the dealer.
Afterwards, I drove it for 3 days around town. (total of about 15 miles) I now have loud clanking noises while driving it. I first noticed it after backing out of my driveway. One "pop". Then after hearing a couple more "pops" I took it to a parking lot where I could make sharp turns to see if it was just while turning. Well, the popping noises turned into clanking popping noise. Then the clanking got louder. It isn't only when I turn. It happens just while driving straight down the road. Happens when truck downshifts while slowing, also when speeding up. Almost feels like something is slipping. Is there something that could have been damaged by the work they did? Or by doing a half-assed job?
Back to the Dealer / Repair shop…… Walk in, hand them the keys, and say ‘Fix it’. :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Someone made a mess of things, they need to make it right

I would not touch it, except to drive it back to that dealership

OP
OP
K

kayla2394

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Thank you all for the responses! It is sitting down at the dealership waiting to be looked at. I will take this information with me when I talk to them about repairs. Just didn't know what all could have been damaged by their lack of ability to repair correctly.