Front shocks with thuren coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Im going to go with thuren 2 front coils. I had them on my last truck and loved them. I ran bilstein 5100 and liked them. now i want the same with this truck. but was told that only thurens shocks will work. i find that hard to believe. so what do you all run?

thethrillofspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
I'm running Bilstein 5100s and Thuren coils, rides good. I've had great experience with Bilstein so those are the shocks I wanted.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Just holler at Thuren. They’re more than happy to answer questions. Top notch customer service.

F3599D98-F99C-418B-AE85-DE835EDE2106.jpeg

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with 22hemi. I emailed Chris in sales just this morning with a few questions and he had me sorted out in a few hours.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
That is who i talked to. but i just dont buy it. there softer springs thats it. any heavy duty shock should work.
Well it’s taller. Not just softer. So the travel needs to be there also. But yes I’d think any appropriate shock would work. How well it’ll ride ca what they’ve designed for their stuff I don’t know. I hope to be upgrading my overland shocks at first of year myself.

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Agree with 22hemi. I emailed Chris in sales just this morning with a few questions and he had me sorted out in a few hours.
I dont know who i talked to. but they got ****y when i asked about different shocks. said (what ours are not good enough) so that puts me off a little.

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I can't speak so much for that,
I know if I've called brand/dealer x and asked about other brand/dealer xx it usually turns sour quickly.
I havent seen anyone negatively speak about their Thuren purchase.

If you go to a restaurant with a bag full of food from other places you'll get some strange looks too.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That is who i talked to. but i just dont buy it. there softer springs thats it. any heavy duty shock should work.

I raced road bike for several years and know the importance of getting your suspension setup correctly, rebound, damping, spring rates etc. But that's a 160+ mph road bike.

I can see with the softer Thuren springs that the dampening (valving) on a standard shock will be off a bit so it may not be optimal. But this is not a hybrid race machine it's a HD truck. There is going to be a difference in ride but I would bet head to head most people probably couldn't tell the difference.

The important part is getting the proper length shock. Not only longer for the lift but enough travel to cover the extended movement of the softer spring.

With that said why not go with the Thuren shocks? Is it saving you that much money going with a Bilstien? I get that you feel forced into using their shock but if it's not a big price difference I don't see an issue?

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well I can't speak so much for that,
I know if I've called brand/dealer x and asked about other brand/dealer xx it usually turns sour quickly.
I havent seen anyone negatively speak about their Thuren purchase.

If you go to a restaurant with a bag full of food from other places you'll get some strange looks too.
ya probleby. i dont care abput that. i going with thurens coils. but the shocks i want. i just wanted to know what others went with. im not ******** about anything.

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I raced road bike for several years and know the importance of getting your suspension setup correctly, rebound, damping, spring rates etc. But that's a 160+ mph road bike.

I can see with the softer Thuren springs that the dampening (valving) on a standard shock will be off a bit so it may not be optimal. But this is not a hybrid race machine it's a HD truck. There is going to be a difference in ride but I would bet head to head most people probably couldn't tell the difference.

The important part is getting the proper length shock. Not only longer for the lift but enough travel to cover the extended movement of the softer spring.

With that said why not go with the Thuren shocks? Is it saving you that much money going with a Bilstien? I get that you feel forced into using their shock but if it's not a big price difference I don't see an issue?

I dont feel forced at all. i just like what i like. and even if its not 100% im ok with that. length i get but lots of longer good shocks out there.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don at Thuren can give you the Shock part number for the Front Bilstein 5100 shocks needed. LOnger travel length for the spring travel. I think you could also check out the Thuren Suspension thread here and find it also. Here you go. 5100 Front shock. 24-185776

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I went with the fox shocks they offer, mild upgrade till I can get some kingsf74b1e04ab30e1d5f9a2b1676d724c19.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I like kings but they would be a wast of money on the rear with stock springs. even when im towing.

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
ups brought me a gift to night!
springs.jpg
mine say something after thuren but i cant tell what.
I just went with the cheap overland shocks for now.

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The cheap overland shocks are actually really good especially coming from stock. You’ll enjoy the difference. But def still expect the back end to be rough haha

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The cheap overland shocks are actually really good especially coming from stock. You’ll enjoy the difference. But def still expect the back end to be rough haha
I really dont think it rides to bad stock. my 06 cummins road way rougher. if we dont get snow ill put them in next week.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I really dont think it rides to bad stock. my 06 cummins road way rougher. if we dont get snow ill put them in next week.
Lmao. Oh yeah. They’ve come a long ways form 06 lol.